Most heinously overrated drummer / band. Come on Man

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meg White

Just because you dont like something doesnt mean other can't as well.

Foo's aren't really my thing. Can take them or leave them and if I'm honest, I usually prefer to leave them.

But as for his playing, he tore the house down with Them Crooked Vultures. Paired with John Paul Jones it was one of the most awesome displays of rhythm powerhouse I've ever encountered. Just epic. On that performance alone, he's worth whatever dues people wanna pay him IMHO.

Foo's aren't really my thing. Can take them or leave them and if I'm honest, I usually prefer to leave them.

But as for his playing, he tore the house down with Them Crooked Vultures. Paired with John Paul Jones it was one of the most awesome displays of rhythm powerhouse I've ever encountered. Just epic. On that performance alone, he's worth whatever dues people wanna pay him IMHO.

No worries....but who do YOU think is overrated....I just added my own choice for the category ....I want to know what others choices are

If he was just judged on Nirvana, OK.

But Dave's done enough side projects and guest appearances where he played at a high level to secure his rep.

I'm not a big Foo's band, but I can't say they are over rated. They have some crappy songs, but they have some really good songs too.

Now when it comes to Nirvana, beyond over rated IMHO. But that's just me.

John Bonham and freaking Led Zeppelin.

Seriously.

I'm going to run for the hills now.

I don't really approve of the "slamming" this thread may turn into, nor the attitude behind it.....but Daniel Adair. I think he plays for Nickelback now. Enough said. Puke.

I always figured that Dave G. is a personable guy that people like to be around, and between his decent drumming and vibrant personality, people like having him drum for them.

No worries....but who do YOU think is overrated....I just added my own choice for the category ....I want to know what others choices are

I have my own opinions, but Bernard usually doesn't like anyone slamming any drummer on his site.

Anytime anyone had started a thread like this in the past, it usually disappears pretty quickly.

I must respectfully disagree. Grohl is a not only a very good drummer but a skilled songwriter. I've never heard a FF song I didn't like and have played many over the years in a cover band. Very fun to play, "One of These Days" being one of my favs along with "Everlong", "Breakout", "All My Life". The list is endless.

I must respectfully disagree. Grohl is a not only a very good drummer but a skilled songwriter. I've never heard a FF song I didn't like and have played many over the years in a cover band. Very fun to play, "One of These Days" being one of my favs along with "Everlong", "Breakout", "All My Life". The list is endless.

No worries....I did say he was a good drummer though. Just overrated. I play Everlong also...and the drumming is good...esp the hihat stuff. But it is nothing innovative or pioneering.

Last edited:
I don't pay attention to all that much mainstream entertainment media so I was unaware that he's so highly rated. It's probably because he was in one of the biggest bands in history and went on to front his own highly successful band. That'll get you some attention. Artists have little control over this. Hey, he might even agree with you.

Dave rocks, I say.

Tough. There's quite a few players who just leave me cold, but that doesn't mean I think they're overrated at all. It's just that they don't move me in a way that others do. Thomas Lang is a great example. I admire his skillset and dedication, but I've just never heard anything from him musically that even remotely sparks my interest. He's way to clinical and not nearly emotionally expressive enough in his playing for me to grab on to anything. Zac Hill is another that I just don't "get"....all I hear is clatter and noise. But even with that being the case, there's no way I could crawl any further and brand these guys overrated just because I don't like/get their style.

I'm far more inclined to brand the endless stream of cookie cutter shit as being overrated. The mass produced pulp that is devoid of all creativity, originality and that is all too prevalent these days. That's the stuff that bothers me most. I tend to at least have a passing respect for anyone who writes their own material or plays their own instrument......even if I can't stand what it is they're doing.

I'll leave "overrated" for the Simon Cowell projects and spin offs. The kids who can't sing and can't play but don't really see any reason why they should have to when it's gonna be handed to them on a TV show anyway........at least the Nickleback's and Foo Fighters of the world are out there doing it for themselves.......and I respect them for it, even if I'd never buy an album or sing their praises.

Last edited:
No worries....I did say he was a good drummer though. Just overrated. I play Everlong also...and the drumming is good...esp the hihat stuff. But it is nothing innovative or commensurate with his overly rated status.

I have to agree about Dave G. being overrated. I received a recent issue of Modern Drummer magazine. It was the issue of the "Drum Gods" and they listed him as one of the gods.....Solid heavy rock drummer but indeed....No God!

what in the world is the purpose of this pile of shit of a thread?

to dog people doing things you wish you could do?

sure seems like it

how unbelievably childish ..... unbelievably

guess what Shemp.... Dave will most likely play circles around you for as long as you live

judge that

hey ...lets all dog people who do what we do to make ourselves feel better

so truly weak

what the hell is overrated anyway?.... someone who is popular and doesn't deserve it ?

yeah Dave definitely fits that category

get a grip bro

your jealousy and envy are disgusting

I think that I am definitely the most overrated drummer. Despite my world wide status as a drum god (according to drummer magazine) I am no where near the professional level.
But seriously, were are all perfectly entitled to our opinions, but I don't want to seem insulting so I'll sit this one out. You guys keep going though; I've got no problem.

This is not going to be popular, but to me the most over rated drummer is Keith Moon. There are several songs by the Who which I greatly enjoy, but the fact is Keith did not have a clue as to what he was doing half the time. He could not possibly play a song the same way twice. He took the drums and the money they were making him so he could buy hotels and trash them for granted. He never practiced, never tried to learn anything new, frankly he was a self-indulgent little brat. When Townsend wanted to get the band together to record or tour they had to hunt Keith down, half way sober him up and put him behind a kit for days playing the simplest songs around because he had forgotten to play the drums.

This post is really going to make me some friends, but this is straight up how I feel. The talent he had, which could have been enormous, should have been given to someone who would have not taken it for granted!

what in the world is the purpose of this pile of shit of a thread?

to dog people doing things you wish you could do?

sure seems like it

how unbelievably childish ..... unbelievably

guess what Shemp.... Dave will most likely play circles around you for as long as you live

judge that

hey ...lets all dog people who do what we do to make ourselves feel better

so truly weak

what the hell is overrated anyway?.... someone who is popular and doesn't deserve it ?

yeah Dave definitely fits that category

get a grip bro

your jealousy and envy are disgusting

Spot on Tony !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back