Bass drum heads for jazz and funk

SwissArmy

What bass drum heads would you recommend for jazz? for funk?
Is there a good head that i could keep on my bass drum and use for both?
Right now im thinking about the Remo PS3.

I use the PS3. After trying Evans EQ4, EMAD2, Aquarian SKII, I much prefer the PS3.
Its a greta head, but I play rock and R&B, not jazz nor funk.

i run PS3 coated (batter) & Fiberskyn Ambassador (resonant) wide-open on my 20 x 15" for big band & jazz. this is a mahog / birch / mahog keller vintage shell w/ maple rings.

for my 22 x 14" yamaha tour custom ('88) i am about to run PS3 CLEAR (batter) & PS3 Smooth White (resonant) wide-open per the Club Custom set up. this is for funk, disco & motown gigs.

Attachments

• yamie_bd_spec.jpg
    yamie_bd_spec.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 3,994
Coated PS3s top and bottom will probably be you're best bet. Maybe coated ambassadors, they will really sing if you dial them in correctly. But they'll be harder to tune than a PS3. You're going to need to tune the heads that you get pretty tight. For funk a muffled bass drum is pretty common, but not for jazz. I would reccomend the batter a little higher than you're used to and the reso a little higher than that.

I've always been a fan of the EQ3 batter w/either EQ3 reso or EQ1 reso for a versatile jazz/funk sound. You can crank it up into bop range and still achieve the dynamic response and resonance or leave it lower for a punchier sound. Either way, it's quite durable and projects well. The inner EQ flap significantly reduces the ugly high frequency "ping" that can be present at certain tensions and focuses the tonal response.

If you're a Evans guy - EQ1 and EQ 4 are perfect for those styles of music. Don't forget to add a patch (AF patch, Falam Slam, or Kick Pad)

For Remo, PS3 is the head! There's a reason why it's on all the kits when they come out of the factory. I've had good luck with Powersonic, too

For Aquarian, Super Kick I is great. With a Kick Pad more open and more durable than a straight SKII, which a lot of people like, but it's too muffled for my taste. I like and open BOOM with a second or two max of decay, not a cardboard box. Heck, it would be cheaper to play a cardboard box than what some drummers do to their $1000 bass drums. But I digress.

Back