Tama Superstar, Sabian, Saluda

porter

Platinum Member
Hey guys! It's my kit. Open to suggestions on names!
IMG_20130109_222606.jpg

Tama Superstar Hyperdrive. All birch, 10x6.5, 12x7, 14x12, 16x14, 22x18, and a 14x5.5 snare that I use for softer stuff. It sounds insane for a mid-range kit and will gladly tide me over until I buy some custom shells or a Guru. :) Plus, when I'm only using 4-pieces, I can separate the kit into a 10/14 coated head setup and a 12/16 clear setup. Anyways I have Coated Ambassadors as my tom resonant heads and clear Pinstripes or Super-2s as batter, a clear Controlled Sound or coated Ambassador on my snare with a Puresound Super 30, and two Powerstroke 3s on my bass.
IMG_20130109_222447.jpg

The snare is a 13x5 Padauk stave shell I had built by Terry from DaVille Drumworks and put hardware on- sounds totally killer and has that body that the Superstar kit snare was missing. Die-cast top and a 2.3 triple flange bottom to open up the snare side a bit more since I like to keep it pretty tight, and the bearing edge is 45 on the inside with a rounded outside.
snare.jpg

It's also got a little stripe of Brazilian Ebony and you can't see it here but I got the vent in a black nickel plating to match the stripe. Also have a DW MAG throwoff which is killer, though I think I still prefer the action on a Trick throw (or the OCDP throw which I can't remember the inventor of right now.)
glory%20reflection.jpg

Saluda makes incredible stuff. Usually I get my ideas from the big guys and modify them slightly for Saluda to make for me but I've been brainstorming a whole setup change to get every cymbal with a raw bell and two vent holes around the bell to dry out the sound while keeping the rest of the cymbal intact for a slightly trashy tone with quick decay, but for now I love these. The Tesla crash is perfect for every style of music- great ride, amazing, not overtly trashy crash, fairly bright, yet quick.

I love my stuff. Please name it!

Nice. I have the exact same kit in dark mocha fade; can't see your finish. I'm pretty happy with mine too. It took me a while to get the snare sounding usable, but now I'm even digging that (i have 3 others that still I use more frequently). I call mine "my drum set."

Nice looking kit and setup, everything's tight and seems to be placed in a very comfortable and reachable way. Very much looks like it was built up around a 4 piece.

Obviously it's personal preference but if it was mine, I'd try to scooch the ride and china up towards the second rack tom a hair.

The snare sounds like it's got a good balance of snap and body, looks pretty too. I'm a big fan of 13s.

glory%20reflection.jpg

Saluda makes incredible stuff. Usually I get my ideas from the big guys and modify them slightly for Saluda to make for me but I've been brainstorming a whole setup change to get every cymbal with a raw bell and two vent holes around the bell to dry out the sound while keeping the rest of the cymbal intact for a slightly trashy tone with quick decay, but for now I love these. The Tesla crash is perfect for every style of music- great ride, amazing, not overtly trashy crash, fairly bright, yet quick.

I love my stuff. Please name it!

This idea sounds like what Sabian introduced (or maybe someone else has before? please, don't shoot!) in this year's cymbal vote, the AAX Iso ride.

IMO, nobody can name your kit but you...leave it nameless until that day when it just pops into your head and you know that's what it is. :)

Obviously it's personal preference but if it was mine, I'd try to scooch the ride and china up towards the second rack tom a hair.

I've tried :) but I'd have to figure out a way to get my crash backwards a bit because it gets in the way of my ride bell stroke if I move it closer.

This idea sounds like what Sabian introduced (or maybe someone else has before? please, don't shoot!) in this year's cymbal vote, the AAX Iso ride.
Yeah, I took that idea from them too ;) I feel like 6 holes might affect the sound too much though. But I have no doubts about the Iso's quality as well, I used to have the Stadium ride (what the iso is based off of) and it would have been a killer in a natural finish. Great everything.

Last edited:
Back