DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 03-12-2019, 12:48 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Default Hal Blaine passed

Today is a sad day for me and thousands of other drummers with the passing of Hal Blaine.

Hal had a lot of friends, and made each feel like they were the most important person to him. I was lucky to call him a friend for the last 27 years or so. I doubt I was high up on his list of close friends, but he did call me at home when my father passed away in 2000. I always got a birthday card from him. In the last several years he started sending emails instead, and always a day early. I didn't have the heart to tell him that he was a day off!

Hal was a huge drumming inspiration, even before I knew it was him on so many hit songs I loved. My wife and I were going to visit him in May, maybe we'll just go to his favorite deli and have nosh in his honor.

Here's a pic of me visiting him at home in 2017. He was such a nice man.

Rest In Peace Hal

Bermuda
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2019, 01:09 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Hal Blaine passed

Yep. He cast a very long shadow. Boots that will just never be filled on that scale again.

Sad for fans everywhere.

Even harder for a mate. Keep your chin up Jon.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:14 AM

What a bummer, man. He was one of the greats, even though it took me a long time to realize that. Looking back, I realize now that he showed me more about what it is to be a drummer than did anyone I idolized growing up.

He certainly had a long a storied career, and despite setbacks in his life managed to keep his sense of humour and positivity throughout it all. And his encouragement to all of the young drummers he encountered can't be forgotten. Truly one of the greats - as a musician and as a person.

You're fortunate to have known him, bermuda.

RIP Mr. Blaine.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:21 AM
Platinum Member

If you were going to say that there was one drummer who's been heard by more people than any other, it's Hal. What an indelible mark he's left on drumming, the music industry, and the world. I bet he's already whipping the other musos in heaven into shape!
Old 03-12-2019, 01:42 AM
Gold Member

Sometimes words just fall short of the stature and contribution of an individual's character, talent and life.
To say that Hal is a legend is fitting, but even that seems to fall short of his true greatness. You will be missed but not forgotten.

Godspeed Hal. Thanks for the music.
Old 03-12-2019, 02:02 AM
Platinum Member

So sad. Rest in peace Hal.

I learned more licks and fills from him than any other drummer.
Because I learned how to play listening and playing along to the old Rock and Pop songs from the 60's and 70's.
I never even knew it was him playing on all of those recordings until many years later.

Old 03-12-2019, 02:11 AM
Platinum Member

Wow, the man was a musical encyclopedia of pop drumming.
RIP to a giant of that bygone era.

Last edited by Jeremy Bender; 03-12-2019 at 04:53 AM.
Old 03-12-2019, 03:02 AM

What a life lived! RIP Hal. Godspeed.
Old 03-12-2019, 03:41 AM
Silver Member

I loved Hal Blaine, but unfortunately only knew about him (and his incredible contributions to music) due to the Wrecking Crew documentary and it's build up before the actual release.

Here's a great article about Hal from Variety today:

https://variety.com/2019/music/news/...90-1203160849/
Old 03-12-2019, 04:16 AM
"Uncle Larry"

As far as a career, he could be my most envied drummer, driving from gig to gig, affecting the culture, making great money. But even he had to work as a security guard for a while after all that dried up. It's a shame he lost so much in the divorce(s?) too. Still, when it was going, it must have been something else.

Never to be repeated again either.

Thanks Hal, you drummed to the soundtrack of my youth.

I didn't know it was you at the time lol, which made it all the more surprising when I found out.
Old 03-12-2019, 05:35 AM
Platinum Member

Aside from all the great music he created, what a rich and incredible life, and to have affected so many people in such a positive way.

To think he nearly lost this long life at young age in a carnival fire.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:48 AM
Silver Member

RIP Hal. I listened to you for decades and had no idea it was you.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:44 PM
Platinum Member

I think the fact he owned the most recorded musical instrument........ever speaks volumes. That will never be beaten or gotten close to.

Worked his arse off in the 50s/60s/70s but stayed humble. Let his playing do the talking. The ultimate hired gun! Most of the time paid at union scale.

As with all of the session guys the full body of their work is never appreciated whilst it's happening because it would pop a lot of PR bubbles. I can't imagine what it must be like playing on that many hit songs/albums and watching other people take the credit for it.

I would loved to have listened to some of this guys stories that he wasn't able to tell in the documentaries.
Old 03-12-2019, 02:36 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikyok View Post
I think the fact he owned the most recorded musical instrument........ever speaks volumes. That will never be beaten or gotten close to.

Worked his arse off in the 50s/60s/70s but stayed humble. Let his playing do the talking. The ultimate hired gun! Most of the time paid at union scale.

As with all of the session guys the full body of their work is never appreciated whilst it's happening because it would pop a lot of PR bubbles. I can't imagine what it must be like playing on that many hit songs/albums and watching other people take the credit for it.

I would loved to have listened to some of this guys stories that he wasn't able to tell in the documentaries.
I'm going to make a point to watch "The Wrecking Crew" again this week. I know that on one of the interviews he gave he mentioned the union scale thing, but there was a point in his career where he was regarded with such reverence for his golden touch - they called him "The Hit Maker" - that for people who really wanted him, he was getting somethings 3x or 4x union scale on some of his sessions. He made A LOT of money during his studio career heyday, and he joked that he made his ex wives rich.

Rest easy Hal - you definitely earned it.
Old 03-12-2019, 02:44 PM
Platinum Member

Wow Bermuda he looked to be in pretty good health in 2017-so he was 88? Did he still have a drum kit set up? My condolences to family and friends (so that includes you Bernuda). I never knew his given name was Harold Simon Belsky. Incredible discography history. Sad day and great loss.

Look at this pic-classic different kick and concert toms. Note his pink shorts-I love that.
Attached Images

Last edited by GetAgrippa; 03-12-2019 at 02:56 PM.
Old 03-12-2019, 03:36 PM
Administrator - Mayor

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Hal_Blaine.html

A very good read.

Two interviews. Great Stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VtB...D0pjeBETeRuIEc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8UQ...PnOn_CLmOPqPA8

Last edited by GruntersDad; 03-12-2019 at 04:03 PM.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:22 PM

I first met Hal over twenty five years ago at NAMM. I turned the corner and was amazed to see Hal's famous "Monster Drum Kit" that was used on countless iconic songs in the 60's and 70's! I stared at that kit for quite a while and then turned to leave and was even more astounded to see Hal himself walking up!!! I thanked him for all of the joy his drumming gave to me and we then talked for over twenty minutes. He was so gracious and treated me like we had known each other forever.

Over the years, I had the pleasure of seeing and talking to Hal several more times - most recently again at NAMM.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:34 PM
Platinum Member

Incredibly sad news...

He was incredibly gracious when I met him at a clinic years ago.

I'll post more later tonight, but here is a comment I've posted here in the past..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had the pleasure of meeting Hal Blaine a few years ago at Donn Bennett's shop when I lived in Seattle. Hal gave a clinic there that turned into part storytelling, part stand-up act. The guy is really funny.

I got to speak with him for a while after the clinic and he could not have been more gracious.

An interesting note that Donn told a few of us once was that he went down to Hal's place and they were waiting to pick up Hal's car from this mechanic shop. This place had on of those Muzak deals playing overhead in the waiting area. It was playing a bunch of tunes from the the 60's. Some of us call them "oldies"... It didn't take long for them to both notice that during the waiting period, EVERY song that played had Hal Blaine on the drums.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 03-12-2019, 11:40 PM
Platinum Member

Spotify posted a 50-song playlist of songs on which Hal played to the NPR story marking his passing. Listening to it at work.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:54 PM
Silver Member

The world's most listened to, invisible drummer.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparrott View Post
Spotify posted a 50-song playlist of songs on which Hal played to the NPR story marking his passing. Listening to it at work.
The only one that surprises me is Paul Revere and the Raiders........

Old 03-13-2019, 03:44 AM

There really aren't any words for a man that lived a life like Hal. R.I.P.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:58 AM
Silver Member

Quote:

Thanks for sharing those links!
Old 03-14-2019, 02:11 AM
Silver Member

YouTube compilation of Hal's songs.

https://youtu.be/hp1FBfjH60g
Old 03-14-2019, 02:33 AM

Here's a nice piece put together originally for the Sticks & Skins book 1-yr anniversary party several years ago, with a (slightly edited?) version appearing on the Wrecking Crew bonus DVD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNMimNlG9oY (pt 1)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuLTTgJDa1g (pt 2)

Oh yeah... don't blink! :O

Bermuda

PS - I'm guessing the Wrecking Crew piece is online somewhere and in better quality.

Last edited by bermuda; 03-14-2019 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:08 PM
Silver Member

Bermuda, I saw that piece a day or so ago when it was posted to Facebook - I'm not sure if it was posted on Hal's FB page or somewhere else. (I like that you opened up the video with comments from other musicians - that was pretty cool to see.)

My wife has heard me talk about Hal before, (he's a huge drum hero of mine) but she was fascinated by this, and some other videos I played (casting YouTube to the TV) and at one point she was like, "Dang, was there any hit back then that he DIDN'T play on?"

Seriously though, even though there were some tunes he didn't play on, Hal played on a bunch, and even I was surprised by one of the montage videos at just how much familiar stuff he'd recorded.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickg View Post
Bermuda, I saw that piece a day or so ago when it was posted to Facebook - I'm not sure if it was posted on Hal's FB page or somewhere else. (I like that you opened up the video with comments from other musicians - that was pretty cool to see.)
The anniversary party was pretty cool, Gadson & Keltner and many more were there, and of course Hal. They showed the video, and I don't know if Hal had actually seen it yet. After the party, while waiting for our cars in the garage, Kenny Aronoff came up to me and said he liked what I said in the piece. :)

Somewhere I have a nice version of the whole thing.

Bermuda
Old 03-16-2019, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwesley View Post
The world's most listened to, invisible drummer.
So true! Hal was not a showman but rather an accompaniment. I Was reading a story about him online that’s in the The New Yorker in which Hal said in an interview that Bruce Gary of the Knack, “was disappointed to find out that a dozen of his favorite drummers were me.”
Old 03-17-2019, 02:11 AM
Platinum Member

Maybe he’ll reincarnate and come back as a member of this forum
Old 03-18-2019, 03:27 PM
Silver Member

Something I was thinking about the other day was that it would be interesting to know both what Hal's first and last sessions were, after all, there has to be a first and a last, even though he may not have realized it at the time.

At one point I had thought I'd read somewhere that "Another Saturday Night" by Sam Cooke was his first session, but that can't be right because that was a 1963 song and I know he was doing sessions before then.

As for his last Session, a bunch of Wrecking Crew guys got together for Glen Campbell to record "I'm Not Gonna Miss You" - the song Glen wrote when he was dealing with Alzheimer's Disease. As always, there is that signature Hal Blaine groove and feel, and some cool, very tasty fills.

They used some different things for the version on the documentary and the official radio version, but it's all tasty Hal Blaine.

This is from the documentary.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrIW5RpvBnM

This one is the official radio version. I kind of like the other one better. The fills are a bit more straight forward in this one - less spice -but they still work really really well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8TsAh-zYFI
Old 03-18-2019, 06:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickg View Post
Something I was thinking about the other day was that it would be interesting to know both what Hal's first and last sessions were, after all, there has to be a first and a last, even though he may not have realized it at the time.

At one point I had thought I'd read somewhere that "Another Saturday Night" by Sam Cooke was his first session, but that can't be right because that was a 1963 song and I know he was doing sessions before then.

As for his last Session, a bunch of Wrecking Crew guys got together for Glen Campbell to record "I'm Not Gonna Miss You" - the song Glen wrote when he was dealing with Alzheimer's Disease. As always, there is that signature Hal Blaine groove and feel, and some cool, very tasty fills.

They used some different things for the version on the documentary and the official radio version, but it's all tasty Hal Blaine.

This is from the documentary.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrIW5RpvBnM

This one is the official radio version. I kind of like the other one better. The fills are a bit more straight forward in this one - less spice -but they still work really really well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8TsAh-zYFI
Man, thanks for that link. Besides just being a beautiful song and video, what an amazing groove. Hal never lost a single beat, did he.

... onion cutting ninjas got up early this morning...
Old 03-19-2019, 03:34 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Man, thanks for that link. Besides just being a beautiful song and video, what an amazing groove. Hal never lost a single beat, did he.

... onion cutting ninjas got up early this morning...
That song was recorded in January of 2013 (according to Wikipedia) so Hal would have been 84 at the time. There was nothing "old" about the groove and licks he laid down for that record, that's for sure!