Gavin Harrison here!

Gavin-

I have two simple questions for you:

1st: How is the new muffling technique going on your toms? from cotton balls to muffle rings inside the toms...I took your suggestion and I like what I hear since I did it.

2nd: I love the song Mother and Child Divided...where can I purchase a copy of that song? I have it on one of the DVD's I bought (DVD-Audio disc,dts), but unable to play it on a regular cd player. That song gets me pumped before playing a gig.

Thanks
Rob

Hi alegre,
the tune "Designer" is on my first DVD "Rhythmic Visions" - there is no 'band' as such - it's just myself and a keyboard player called Gary Sanctuary.

"19 Days" is on my second DVD "Rhythmic Horizons". It's written by Dave Stewart and myself. The musicians are Dave Stewart (keys) Laurence Cottle (bass) Phil Palmer (guitar) John Thirkell (trumpets). Again it's not on any CD release - it's just a piece written for the DVD.

"Oops" is a "Steps Ahead" piece written by Mike Mainieri.
My CD "Sanity & Gravity" is out of print at the moment - but is available as a download from:

www.burningshed.co.uk/index.asp?main=mp3s&page=mp3s

I have no plans in the near future to re-print it.

Cheers
Gavin

Hi crookedrook,
At the moment I'm just using an internal ring inside my 14" floor tom. That was the only one that seemed to have a bit too much sustain.

As far as I know the original recording of "Mother & Child Divided" has not been released in a regular audio format (yet) only on the DTS version which you say you already have. It is on the live DVD "Arriving Somewhere..." It is also on the downloadable audio version of "RockPalast" which is also a live gig - recorded a couple of moths after "Arriving Somewhere.."

www.burningshed.com/index.asp?page=downloaddetails&id=42&returnpage=mp3s&returnid=0

Cheers
Gavin

1st: How is the new muffling technique going on your toms? from cotton balls to muffle rings inside the toms...I took your suggestion and I like what I hear since I did it.

2nd: I love the song Mother and Child Divided...where can I purchase a copy of that song?

Hello Gavin!

I´m very impressed that you take the time to answer the questions from anyone.
RESPECT!
I have your DVD´s and I´m more than lost of words by such a tight and sensitive playing.
My question is: Your homestudio (really impressive) is your residence too, right?
Did your own the place before you developed the studio, or did you buy it for the opportunity building it up?
In the trailer of deadwing I saw that you record all tacks at home. Did other members of porcupine tree record in our studio too?

By the way, in my opinion the DTS mixes of your band are the best in musicbusiness, no better way to here this music.

Thanks a lot
See you at the summertour

Braui

Hi Braui,
yes the studio is in my home. When we we're looking for a new place to live - I was of course trying to find somewhere I could play the drums and start to build up a studio. Luckily for us this very unusual house came on the market.
The other members of PT sometimes come here and we have a writing session - but generally I don't record their performances for the album here.

Cheers
Gavin

Hi Sol Good!

Yes of course I´ve read the article of SOS. But it´s almost eight years old. I think Gavin keep with the time and his equipment has changed a bit from the list in the article.

Gavin?
How much time did you spent to produce such professional DVD´s like Rythmic Visions/Horizons. Especially german subtitles are very rare at similar drumeducational productions.
Did you have all the equipment for dvd-producing?
In my opinion it´s really cheep to buy for such an expenditure.

Did Sonor will order you in the future for a clinic-tour, except your upcomming performence in frankfurt?

Thanks an enjoy the day

Hey Gavin,

What is your experience/opinion (in studio or live applications) on the Shure Beta 98D/S? I've heard they do a really good job for toms and snare drums. Not to mention that the small design probably helps tremendously verses using big bulky mics (epecially when using smaller toms such as an 8" or 6")

Thanks
Jeff

Mr. Gavin Harrison, I just noticed that you have joined the forum!
Welcome my fellow drum brother!
I havent heard any of your playing other than what is on video clips,but from the heresay,you are setting the standard for modern drumming!
Just a quick question concerning clinics, are you going on the clinic trail anytime soon, and will you be anywhere close to Shreveport or New Orleans?
Also, Who will i need to contact to book you for a clinic in Monroe Louisiana..?,i have a friend who owns a music store and will pass the info along with the intent of having you come do a clinic here.
Have a great day!

really enjoyed the studio article- I love that kind of stuff.
Great to see what you're doing there.
We've built our own place from scratch- it's a LOT of work, but feels so good when you're done (or it's usable anyway, are you ever really DONE?)

In case you haven't seen it, Todd Sucherman's site has a nice account of how his home drum room came together:
http://www.toddsucherman.com/drumroommain.htm

No 40 ft ceilings, but he does have the pool to cool off in.

Hi Gavin,

I have just seen the tour dates for Germany, and I will defiantly be there on the 22nd June in Cologne,
will it be possible to get your new DVD there? or perhaps you could bring some with you for us drummers?

Hi Braui

"How much time did you spent to produce such professional DVD´s like Rythmic Visions/Horizons. Especially german subtitles are very rare at similar drumeducational productions.
Did you have all the equipment for dvd-producing?
In my opinion it´s really cheep to buy for such an expenditure.

Did Sonor will order you in the future for a clinic-tour, except your upcomming performence in frankfurt?"

My first DVD took me a very long because I was totally new to filming/lighting/dvd production and I had a lot to learn (and I still have). Luckily my partner is a professional subtitler and could make them in German and Italian. I had to buy some cameras and software to make the dvd possible. Unfortunately I have no clinics planned at the moment because I'm going to be very busy this year with PT and my new project with 05Ric.

Hi JeffV71

"What is your experience/opinion (in studio or live applications) on the Shure Beta 98D/S?"

I've used them in live situations - but obviously I couldn't really tell how good they were because I sitting behind the drums at the time and not out in the audience. I haven't used them in a studio - so the answer is - I don't honestly know. They're a very handy size though.

Hi PHIL2007

"Just a quick question concerning clinics, are you going on the clinic trail anytime soon?
Also, Who will i need to contact to book you for a clinic in Monroe Louisiana..?"

As I said above - I won't be doing clinics for a while, but you could always try requesting them to Sonor in the US (via Hohner) or Zildjian Cymbals.

Hi xush

"We've built our own place from scratch- it's a LOT of work, but feels so good when you're done (or it's usable anyway, are you ever really DONE?)"

I guess I'm never really done buying and trying equipment!!!

Hi DrumSound,

"I have just seen the tour dates for Germany, and I will defiantly be there on the 22nd June in Cologne,
will it be possible to get your new DVD there? or perhaps you could bring some with you for us drummers?"

My newest DVD Rhythmic Horizons will be on sale at the merch table. Thanks for the interest.

Cheers
Gavin

Hey Gavin,
I have a few questions concerning your relationship to your kit. Do you treat each individual piece as its own voice or the kit as an entire sound source? Have you ever slept next to your kit? Do you love your kit? I know this may seem odd, but i find it hard to believe that a person that can create such beautiful sounds and music along with smooth movement, doesnt have a relationship to the instrument that they have devoted themselves to. Intrigued.

MM

Well Gavin, thanks for coming to Frankfurt and showing the audience what your drumming is all about. I had a really good time yesterday.
One question: what snare drum did you use? 12"x5" designer? The sound was awesome...
Greetz

Hey Gavin,

I'm in the process of creating a new practice routine.

Did you ever have any practice routines?

In your book Rhythmic Perspectives you talk a little bit about the way you used to practice, but did you use a routine in those days. I mean did you have your whole practice written out like : 15 mins of rudiments, 15 mins of .... etc.

If you have, could you post one from your early days (if you still have it), I , and probably more people here, would be very interested in the way you would practice.

I know every person has different 'weak' spots and need to practice different things, but just wondering how a great drummer like yourself would do it.

Your drumming is such an inspiration for me, the clean execution, the cool grooves, the nice fills etc. makes me want to sit down and play the drums everytime I hear or see you play. Thanks for that.

Greetz Andre

Hey Gavin

I read earlier that you were waiting for your new Sonor SQ2 kit. Any word on that yet? Are you going to post some pics when you do get it? PRETTY PLEASE!!!

Daniel

Hi Gavin,its Fabio from Italy here.not any question in particular for now :) I teach in a local drum school,I have my band(s) and do some sessions for several artists aswell.I just want to say how much your drumming has influenced not only the way I play but mostly the way I see playing....and PT is one of my favourite bands ever,nuff said.its such great that You spend time here talking and being kind-like-nooneelse even if You are busy as hell.thanks Gavin,cant wait for your forthcoming releases (05Ric,too).bye,Fabio.

Back