DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 06-15-2014, 04:31 AM

Default My Practice Routine--AKA I have no life......

I have a practice routine, under the watchful eye of a studio drummer. It isn't a rigorous do this that this x hours. Instead, its a work on what I need as much as possible, change to something else when Im tired. I usually don't go out, and besides work, I practice an average of 25 hours a week, with a one hour review lesson once a week. It's paying off, but still......

It consists of, in no particular order--Rudiments, Grooves, Wrist and Finger control exercises, accent exercises, reading exercises, linear time and odd time exercises, style study--i.e. studies of rhythms from all different styles and countries, and a variety of coordination and independence exercises. Then, a bit of playing along with songs, fills and orchestration are coming up but im trying to get the hand and foot control down well before i get to far into those. Everything is played with anal attention to feel, posture, and hand position and grip, and once something is in muscle memory enough, a metronome at 40 BPM to whatever. Then I practice grooves again. Then more grooves...then more grooves.... also whatever weakness appears, like left hand weakness, attention is always put on playing the weakness rather than the strength. Then I practice grooves some more.... LOL.....

Seems to be working. My teacher said it shows, and he pushes me ahead.....

What do you think? Too unstructured, too loose, or do you think a learning style is just dependent on the person. I've decided I want to eliminate weaknesses and learn all the basics every way possible rather than trying to jump right into playing with a band. Im approaching the end of my first year playing drums under this regime, (but ive been a musician bass, and guitar, for 40 years.)
Old 06-15-2014, 09:07 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: My Practice Routine--AKA I have no life......

Maybe one thing that's missing is a bit of live performance and playing with other musicians (unless you just forgot to mention those things).

I do all kinds of stuff in my practice room but being able to play the same way on someone elses kit, with people watching, under pressure, feeling nervous, at the right dynamic etc etc, that's the acid test IMO. Even pretending you're playing live while you're in your practice room can have an effect so I think it's good to get a feel for different environments.

I know some people only see this as narcissistic but - youtube. Record your playing and when you watch the playback you will see the reality. Make a youtube channel and see what people think. Who cares if you don't get a reaction, just pump out some videos and get used to the process of trying to record something you think is worthwhile within a timeframe. That has really helped me get to know myself.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:04 AM

Well, I did play bass in several bands for years, so I do have stage experience. And I don't have enough skills up to play with a band-yet. I figured probably one more year.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:46 PM

Your practice routine seems fine to me but your statement is concerning due to the fact that if you continue on like this, you may burn out.

"AKA, I have no life..." leads me to wonder if you have balance in your life to keep this fun and interesting for you for a long while.

Otherwise, the only thing that I would add is to set aside some specific time to critically listen to and analyze music and possibly even start to transcribe some things.

If you've had 40 years of other musical experience then I think that you are certainly aware of what is involved in the mastery of an instrument.

If it's what you want and you are specific goal oriented and it's working, then by all means, continue on and do enjoy the process!
Old 06-16-2014, 04:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellar92010 View Post
Well, I did play bass in several bands for years, so I do have stage experience. And I don't have enough skills up to play with a band-yet. I figured probably one more year.
I don't know how long you've been going with drums but I'd guess if you're practicing that much and continuously for long periods than you're more than capable of joining a band.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:02 AM

25 hours a week isn't too bad; I'd say that's a good number to keep up chops, but it depends on what level you're striving for. I've been putting in ~ 30 hours a week with one day off every 2 weeks for the past 2 years. It really depends on what your focus is and where you want your technique to go.