Echo sound that come from toms bad for hearing?

WayneD91

Hi guys.

I've recently tuned my toms and floor tom. I'm actually
just learning how to tune them. I've tuned them to the point
where there is a recurring echo that comes from them when I smack them.
I've noticed my ear feels strange when I smack the toms and floor tom due
to the recurring echo.

Basically what I'm asking is, is the recurring echo that comes from toms
bad for your ears and would it be better if I tune them tighter so their isn't that echo?

Sorry if this is a little confusing, I'm fairly new to this.

I'm no expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. That said, I would assume the tuning is no more damaging than any other. I'd bet the frequency is just vibrating things a little different than you are used to. Either way, hearing protection is probably a good idea.

Hi guys.

to the recurring echo.

bad for your ears and would it be better if I tune them tighter so their isn't that echo?

Since, I really tuned my toms to get a resonant sound, I have noticed they seem really loud and penetrating, like they go right through the ear plugs, I am planning on beefed up protection in the future. In the past, I have always thought the toms and bass were harmless bass frequencies but not anymore.

When it comes to hearing loss it isn't the frequencies so much as the sheer volume.

Loud bass or mid frequencies can make you deaf just as easily as loud high frequencies.

I remember seeing SUNNO))) perform live with Boris a few years ago. I wore the most heavy duty ear plugs I own and yet still for about a week afterwards I couldn't hear bass properly, yet the mods and high frequency range of my hearing was unaffected.

It was like reverse tinnitus!

But wow - what a gig! Utterly unforgettable!

Hi guys.

to the recurring echo.

I am not understanding what a "recurring echo" is

We do tend to lose our hearing in frequency ranges howver. If you are using machinery with an extreme volume at a constant pitch, you can lose hearing in that range. It sounds to me like he has untuned drums that the sound has that wa-waa sound when the heads are tuned properly. Either ascending or descending after tones.

Sounds to me like you've hit the sweet spot of your drums tuning wise! remember what it sounds like and keep it!

Hearing protection should always be worn regardless, but with tuning like that your drums should cut through the guitars of a band nicely.

Back