The most "influential" rock albums

No way. Rock is a genre of its own.
The Pistols = Punk
Miles Davis = Jazz
Metallica = Metal
J L Hooker = Blues
The Smiths = Pop

Rock began as white electric bands pushing "The Blues" there own way.

you are delusional

....and we all know how it began

metal is rock
punk rock is rock
most pop music is rock
hip hop has rock roots

oh and Chuck Berry, Fats Domino and Little Richard were hardly white

listen to a Sex Pistols record ...you will here the same progressions you hear on a Chuck Berry record
listen to a Misfits record.....sounds like a 1950s rock n roll record played very loudly

punk rock is not a genre of music....it is an attitude and a lifestyle .....an attitude worn by people playing rock n roll music

if this is not rock n roll then I don't know what is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZJPPOLBDcc

white people creating rock n roll ?
thats solidifies my delusional theory

Last edited:
Highway 61 Revisited - Bob Dylan

Blonde on Blonde - Bob Dylan

Born To Run - Bruce Springsteen

Exile On Main Street - Rolling Stones

Plus probably most Beatles albums.

Etc....

Rock can encompass everything. Most overall talented singer, songwriter, musican, performer has to be Marvin Gaye in my opinion. What's Going On best LP in my lifetime at least. Excluding the fab 4...

I fully agree on this... Two thumbs up for J!!!

The first Jimi Hendrix album, "Are You Experienced," was hugely influential, in that it raised the bar for at least two generations of young musicians, and changed forever the way the electric guitar would be played. That was a true musical event, one that just doesn't come along very often..

White electric bands playing blues is how rock music started? I'll have to see that misinformed young person explain himself before I consign him to an eternity of Jim Nabors' music, but for now I'll just ask him to try and identify this genre of music.

Growing up in the late 40's and through the 50's I would agree that rock was started when
white groups began imitating what black groups (especially R&B groups) had been doing
(and almost always better) for years if not decades. First cheap imitations of R&B, a shift
in the time keeping and voila! Rock! agree or not...my opinion.

Growing up in the late 40's and through the 50's I would agree that rock was started when
white groups began imitating what black groups (especially R&B groups) had been doing
(and almost always better) for years if not decades. First cheap imitations of R&B, a shift
in the time keeping and voila! Rock! agree or not...my opinion.

Well, I won't say you're completely wrong, but in 1957 Chuck Berry recorded a song he'd written called "Rock and Roll Music." Lafayette Leake played piano, WIllie Dixon played bass and Fred Below, Little Walter's drummer, played drums. Now right there's your perfect example of rock 'n roll being born of the blues.

Fred Below, rock drummer. Ha!

No way. Rock is a genre of its own.
The Pistols = Punk
Miles Davis = Jazz
Metallica = Metal
J L Hooker = Blues
The Smiths = Pop

Rock began as white electric bands pushing "The Blues" there own way.

I think most will agree that Chuck Berry is the father of rock guitar.

You might make a case for earlier blues and jazz as pure,certainly later on bands started to combine all of these forms into something else.

Jethro Tull did this very nicely on the "This Was " album,melding rock,blues and jazz into cohesive pieces with elements of all 3.

While "God Save the Queen"(Sex Pistos) and "Johnny B.Goode"(Chuck Berry) are certainly completely different...the're still rock and roll,and punk would not have existed without it's birth father.

Just a different form of the same root.

Saying punk isn't rock is like saying a macintosh isn't an apple because it dosen't look or taste like a granny smith .They of course are both apples because they both come from the same root.

And let me add....and how could I forget

Jimi Hendrix..................Are You Experienced,Axis Bold as Love and Electric Ladyland

Cream...........................Fresh Cream,Disraeli Gears.Wheels of Fire

Blue Cheer.....................Summertime Blues

Steve B

you are delusional

....and we all know how it began

metal is rock
punk rock is rock
most pop music is rock
hip hop has rock roots

oh and Chuck Berry, Fats Domino and Little Richard were hardly white

listen to a Sex Pistols record ...you will here the same progressions you hear on a Chuck Berry record
listen to a Misfits record.....sounds like a 1950s rock n roll record played very loudly

punk rock is not a genre of music....it is an attitude and a lifestyle .....an attitude worn by people playing rock n roll music

if this is not rock n roll then I don't know what is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZJPPOLBDcc

white people creating rock n roll ?
thats solidifies my delusional theory

Well. That's where you are wrong again. I said white "electric" bands created rock,from acoustic blues, not rock and roll. Rock and Roll is a genre of its own. R n R came before rock. Before you bad mouth people you dont know, take a breath. I was born in the 50s and saw R n R morph from Blues and Jazz, into the British Blues boom, into Rock, ie Cream, Hendrix, Free, Led Zep etc, etc. Then there was prog, and Metal then Punk etc. I love Punk but I am an old hippy, so the thing about Punk being a lifestyle is hopeful at best. Its all music, different genres, but all music.
If Jazz and Punk and Rock are all the same, ask someone what there fav Jazz album is. If they said Master of Puppets you would rightly call them a fool.
Rock is a genre of its own. If not how would you describe Lizzy, Quo, Tull, Zep, Free, Purple, etc.

Well. That's where you are wrong again. I said white "electric" bands created rock,from acoustic blues, not rock and roll. Rock and Roll is a genre of its own. R n R came before rock. Before you bad mouth people you dont know, take a breath. I was born in the 50s and saw R n R morph from Blues and Jazz, into the British Blues boom, into Rock, ie Cream, Hendrix, Free, Led Zep etc, etc. Then there was prog, and Metal then Punk etc. I love Punk but I am an old hippy, so the thing about Punk being a lifestyle is hopeful at best. Its all music, different genres, but all music.
If Jazz and Punk and Rock are all the same, ask someone what there fav Jazz album is. If they said Master of Puppets you would rightly call them a fool.
Rock is a genre of its own. If not how would you describe Lizzy, Quo, Tull, Zep, Free, Purple, etc.

where in the world did jazz come into this?.

...do you always just pull things out of thin air and think they are relevant to the conversation ?

you are extremely delusional and I prefer not to discuss this with you because you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about

and here is a little secret.....that word "rock" it's short for rock n roll

enjoy being completely delusional

be well my friend

where in the world did jazz come into this?.

...do you always just pull things out of thin air and think they are relevant to the conversation ?

you are extremely delusional and I prefer not to discuss this with you because you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about

and here is a little secret.....that word "rock" it's short for rock n roll

enjoy being completely delusional

be well my friend

Wrong yet again "my friend". Very early on in this thread someone named a Miles Davis album as an influential "Rock" album. I was pointing out he is a Jazz musician.

Oh, and its not compulsory to insult others to make your point. The forum is for discussion, not personal abuse.

Wrong yet again "my friend". Very early on in this thread someone named a Miles Davis album as an influential "Rock" album. I was pointing out he is a Jazz musician.

Oh, and its not compulsory to insult others to make your point. The forum is for discussion, not personal abuse.

was it me that mentioned MIles?

no...

so why reply to me using the word jazz?

.....and do you really feel that you need to point out to anyone on this forum that Miles Davis is a jazz musician?......seriously ......you honestly feel that needs to be clarified ?

.....at the same time some could dispute that Miles has released some rock material and would not be completely wrong siting a certain album as influential rock

I'm finished discussing things with someone who has very little knowledge..... or at least a strangely skewed view of what they are attempting to discuss

I will reply no further

Bitches Brew could easily be listed as an album that influenced Rock music...or Rock n Roll, or whatever you wanna call it.

Everything I was going to say was said - Dark Side, Sgt Pepper, Are You Experienced etc. Thing is Kraftwerk were pioneers of electro music and I'm not sure anything mentioned has had the impact on today's music.

Well The Buggles had a hit with "Radio kill the radio star" only to have the keyboard player to join Yes at a later date...

Mmmh... I mean OK, some of the albums you could have listed have already been mentioned, even in the OP post... haha.

But what about all the prog rock bands, King Crimson, ELP (mentioned once) Yes, Quartermass... they gave birth to off spring band such as Asia. They don't seems to be mentioned here but where influential to some degree, no?

Uriah Heep was one the first heavy rock prog band for me, songs like "Salisbury" or "July Morning" where masterpieces in the early 70's

What about Mike Oldfield "Tubular Bells" in '73... on second thought it might be more of an iconic rather than a influential album...

...which make me think that some of the entries here in this thread are more iconic albums rather than being very influential... I might be wrong... is something iconic is influential in music? ...that's kind of a new debate I guess :)

Now for styles... as it seems to brush some members feathers here :)

To me there's only 4 types

Classical
Jazz
Rock
World music

...everything is contain within these 4 styles, and some music have a feet in two types at the same time, lol..

Most of what has influenced me has been mentioned already but here are a few more.

Foghat----Foghat

Savoy Brown----Getting to the Point

Grand Funk Railroad----On Time

Santana----Abraxas

was it me that mentioned MIles?

no...

so why reply to me using the word jazz?

.....and do you really feel that you need to point out to anyone on this forum that Miles Davis is a jazz musician?......seriously ......you honestly feel that needs to be clarified ?

.....at the same time some could dispute that Miles has released some rock material and would not be completely wrong siting a certain album as influential rock

I'm finished discussing things with someone who has very little knowledge..... or at least a strangely skewed view of what they are attempting to discuss

I will reply no further

This is becoming tedious.

It was posted that Jazz, Punk, Metal etc is all rock. I was making the point that Jazz is not rock.

If you don't like the fact that I don't agree with your point of view, why do you keep posting that you are finished with discussing the thread, and then keep discussing it?

The whole point of forums is to get different views on a topic, but now, according to you, I am delusional and have very little knowledge. I look forward to being advise of my other shortcomings by yourself. The list goes on.

Metal and punk fall under the rock umbrella. Jazz is a completely different thing.

I like Henri's four, high-level categories. Those work for me.

I like Henri's four, high-level categories. Those work for me.

Thanks Larry :)

One could play a classical inspired piece of music with the freedom of jazz and the energy of rock with a touch of world music throw in for good measure, whatever it would be defined as a genre is no matter in the end...

... really in the end there's only 2 types of music, the one you like and the one you don't, the rest is just an etiquette label, no prejudice on any styles whatsoever or the history and roots which define a particular genre or sub-genre of music.

Anyway, let's talk about influential rock albums and leave the world of categories of music aside, should we?

Any takers on the subject that an iconic album is an influential album by default?

Back