drum shelves/storage methods

soul-drums-soul

what do all of you use? i'm looking to purchase or build something for my snares...need some inspiration, pictures/tips appreciated. thanks!

How many do you have?
I put my shelves up high and out of the way. Also keeps my little guy from helping himself to them. He likes to play, he is 4 and when they are down low, he loves the variety. My drum room is very small, still made the wife mad, but having them up high lets me still tuck the full kit in when I choose without interference.

qrj8fr.jpg

2lnfu6a.jpg

My teacher has a collection of snares that stand on edge on shelves that are just normal shelves with a small strip of wood running parallel to the front of the shelf (one at the front edge and one at the back edge) so the drums can't roll off. Let's them breathe l little, takes little space and looks cool with them all standing on edge.

I just thought of a way to make a shelf.
Buy some inexpensive PVC plumbing pipe and elbow fittings and make a tubular shelf from them.
PVC is easy to cut and glue together. It can be painted and it is super strong.
Metal shelf brackets can be screwed to the pipe to hold it to the wall.

I don't display anything but I built some super solid shelving from some 2x4's and plywood. Not sure if the stand cost much more than $60.00 to build and took about 3 hours of my time to complete.

It stores an entire 6 piece set in bags, 2 stocked cymbal bags, and all of my extra hardware plus some heads.

Again, nothing is on display but it is super strong and super functional. Best of all - low cost.

thanks for the tips. i'm not really that concerned about displaying them, just keeping them off the floor. i think i may build a mini-shelf in my closet for them. i have 5 at the moment

Here's my storage for snares....keeps them up and out of the and some what decorative. Hhmmm, gotta find a way to store/display all my cymbals too! Excuse the mess, it's much more organized now. The white snare is one I built out of schedule 40 pvc pipe along with a hybrid half pvc and half steel shell snare. I built the blue and black one too.

IMAG0743.jpg

I must be the odd ball here in that my snares are hanging on a wall in my music room.

I purchased some small "L" hooks and screwed them into the wall at a stud location and then hung a snare by the bottom hoop through the snare gate. I have seven snares hung as of now with four more sitting on edge on the floor, awaiting their space on another wall.

I keep two other snares in a case/bag for gigging purposes. I suppose I could build a shelf and turn them all on edge and may eventually do that.

If you have more than maybe 12 snares, you'll want to go for the highest-density vertical storage possible. Try the shelving units available at Costco, Sam's Club, etc. They're 18x48x72" high, shelves are adjustable, and around $95.

storage2.jpg

I can easily store 20 assorted depth snares on one rack, and more if they were all 5".

The racks are also ideal for storing kits. I can fit all of these drums, in bags, on one rack:

ludleg3.jpg

Bermuda

The rolling shelve idea is real nice bermuda,
The entire unit can be moved with the drums on it for Spring Cleaning, etc.

If you have more than maybe 12 snares, you'll want to go for the highest-density vertical storage possible. Try the shelving units available at Costco, Sam's Club, etc. They're 18x48x72" high, shelves are adjustable, and around $95.

storage2.jpg

I can easily store 20 assorted depth snares on one rack, and more if they were all 5".

The racks are also ideal for storing kits. I can fit all of these drums, in bags, on one rack:

ludleg3.jpg

Bermuda

wow, those look really nice! i might go for one of those actually

Most of my snares (and most of my drum kits) are stacked vertically in SKB cases. I store single snares in snare cases, and I store 2 snares in a 14x14 or 14x12 case with a piece of foam or pillow between them, and have several of these cases stacked on top of each other.

The nice thing about having cases on top of each other is they stack in piles and you don't need shelves. Also, if there's a little bit of extra space in the case, you don't have to worry about extra tension being put on the heads by other drums stacked on top of them, or hardware rash from being stored on their sides. The problem with stacking the SKB roto-x cases is when you have a large size difference between the cases. When you put a 16" case on top of a 22" bass drum case, with the rest of the toms/snare on top of it, the lid of the 22" case starts to bend in. Same with a 14" on top of a 20". But, when you stack a whole bunch of 14" cases on top of each other, floor to ceiling, you don't have the same problem...

Most of my snares and drums are stored in unlined H&B Enduro hard cases. I like the rolling shelf though, really looks great and efficient!

Ahhhh Bermuda- everytime you post something like that I just get green with envy!

I mean your gear not specifically the rolling rack!

Nice work on the recent Lady Gaga take- nicely put by all involved

I just picked up one of these at Guitar Center for $99. It's actually pretty well made - quite sturdy. And the support beams are all foam padded. I'm able to hold an assortment of 5", 5.5", and 6.5" comfortably... 9 snares total. Not bad. I'd have readily paid another $50 for a third shelf, but I don't believe that configuration exists.
But I can definitely recommend these.

Attachments

• CIMG1503 1.JPG
    CIMG1503 1.JPG
    421.8 KB · Views: 9,566
Back