Sizzler chains or what ever you want to call them

Im looking for one of these, never had one before. Ive been looking on ebay and have come across a promark one which looks quite good

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PROMARK-CYMBA...ultDomain_0?hash=item33503c013f#ht_1038wt_939

Then i saw another, similar price, no name, but you get two, they attach a little different

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sizzler-cymba...ultDomain_2?hash=item45eca760eb#ht_1487wt_939

Which one is best? Now i like a good bargain, im getting two here, but i dont want to buy them if they arent as good as the promark. I cant think of any difference in them except for how they attach

so any advice would be gladly appreciated! Thanks!

I don't like the sound of the chains. I got a much more pleasing sizzle sound by tying 2 - 3/8" machine nuts to a length of string with a loop on the other end. (You put the loop over the post). The price is right and the sound is better.

Go to the hardware store and get a light fixture pull-chain, the kind with the little beads. Attach one end to a paper clip. Adjust to length. Done. No Ebay required.

It's MUCH cheaper to do what either Larryace or Drumtechdad says. Also, it takes up less space in your stick bag.

Using the chain like Drumtechdad says actually dampens the cymbal some, as the length of chain lays across the surface of most of the cymbal. Larryace's idea will simulate rivets a little better. Personally, I use the chain. I've tried both, and to me, the nuts on the end of the thread last for a little too long. I like how the sizzle of the chain is shorter--I don't want my crash at the end of a verse to sizzle for the entire chorus. Try both out (they're really cheap anyways). You may find that you like one type of sizzle on one cymbal and the other on another. Experimentation is key!

Thanks for the advice! If im not mistaken, the chain has little beads? lol! And yes wouldnt want to have a sizzler at the end like you said! And i know they kill abit, but just wanted an opinion on the two i showed, also space isnt a problem in my stick bag! thanks

The nice thing about the string is it doesn't choke the cymbal. Plus if it sizzles too long, all you have to do is simply shorten the string to adjust the duration of sizzle.

I would actually say go for the plug chain option because it sounds better.

I had the Promark one and while it was fine the beads are quite big (in comparison to a plug chain)

As such the sound it produces isn't a low sizzle but more a rattle. Also because of the smaller beads the plug chain opens up alot quicker and is less abrasive if you really hammer it.

Cheers

Dave

Back