Bass Drum Muffling

IIStJimmy

Just wondering if there are any ways to muffle the sound of my bass drum without actually putting anything inside of the drum. I'm just trying to get a "damper" sound out of the kick.

A great way is to use a small rolled up towel between the head and pedal posts.

KickMuffleSide.jpg

This is how I muffle all my bass drums.
It's a few light weight polishing cloths inside a white tube sock which is closed off at the end. It's basically FREE.

Works and sounds great, AND you can adjust it just by reaching down--fast and easy!
With this I can also use a NON Pre-muffled head which allows ME to determine how much, or little the bass drum sound is dampened--and I'm not ever messing with anything inside the drum.

This works great on all sizes of bass drum....did I mention it's basically FREE? :)

I have a small piece of foam (kept in place) inside, but it doesn't touch the batter head, and barely touches the Reso. It's there to keep the sound from bouncing around.

Good luck in getting your sound!

Great solution from Karl and like he said it is very easy to change on the fly.

I use felt strips on my bass drum. 2 strips on the batter side (opposite sides) and 1 on the reso. Just enough muffling for me.

I use Evans EQ4 heads for the batter side of most of my bass drums and use felt strips on the batter and resonant sides of the DW kit.

Dennis

Back