Any big name drummers ever do something to rub you the RIGHT way?

brady

Platinum Member
Just looking for a little positivity to counteract that other thread...

I've met a few drummers over the years and I would say that Jeff Hamilton is probably been the nicest one.

I met him at a clinic a couple years ago, actually it was a jazz trio clinic but he did most of the presenting. At first he comes off as perhaps a little gruff but he was actually very nice and professional. Afterwards, I asked him privately a few things about Ed Thigpen (my hero) since he mentioned hanging around him so much. He shared a couple beautiful memories of the man and his apprach to music. That alone was worth the trip.

Also, had he chosen to do so, he could have been pretty rude to me. I accidentally temporarily blinded him a couple times taking photos during his performance. We actually laughed about later on. Where I apologized profusely...

All in all, Mr Hamilton was definitely a class act.

Gavin Harrison. He's super friendly and helpful here, and I met him at a clinic in November, truly a stand up guy.

Ian Piace. Met him at an autograph session at a local drum shop, and despite the lineup, took a few minutes to talk to me about how long I've been playing, what my musical interests were and just genuinely took interest in me as a fan. Didn't treat me like I was in an assembly line.

I met Todd Sucherman at a clinic here. Great clinic, and Todd was very personable. He answered a ton of questions and signed autographs for everyone. He stayed for quite awhile after the clinic talking to people. I thought he was a class act!

Years ago I met Joey Heredia (at the time he was playing for Tania Maria and Herb Alpert) at a college jazz band festival, and he was giving a clinic and was to later play for the college big band hosting the event, so he even saw all of us play too. It was nice to be just off-stage watching the man play and how he handled a big band, I learned alot just by watching him.

But after the show we walked outside to his motorcycle and he told me that what I was doing was right on. He admitted (I was only 22 then) that I needed more seasoning but playing for the band was something he didn't see alot of in college players. I stayed the course and later figured out what he really meant! I appreciated the words of encouragement.

Dom Famularo called Mike Mangini for me, told Mike that he had a student that Mike absolutely had to take on and Mike said sure.

Two way cool guys.

I've told this story before. Idiot intermediate school band teacher blew my son off when he applied for percussion. I've got a drummer friend who grew up with Dennis Chambers in Baltimore. During a Mike Stern show at Yoshi's my buddy went backstage to ask Dennis to have an encouraging word with my son. Dennis was tired from the flight and not feeling well, but he came out, chatted with my son a bit and autographed some sticks for him. Didn't have to do that. I know sometimes he can seem kind of aloof, but there's a big heart in there.

Elvin and Keiko Jones basically took me in when I had nowhere to live and no work and basically kept me alive for almost 2 months back in the mid 90s and I will be forever grateful to them for that

truly extraordinary people

I pretty much learned more from those two about life than I did from my own parents ....not a knock on my parents....they were great ....but I was rebellious and never listened to them

I have many other stories concerning many well know drummers
I have been so blessed in my life to have been able to learn so much from so many of the best players in the world ....but to avoid risk of sounding like a forum name dropper I will leave it at the above and dearest to my heart

great thread

I had the honor of taking a couple of drum lessons with Joe Morello in the early 90's when he was teaching on Staten Island.I also saw him in a few clinics here also with Danny Gotlieb.

The man was just pure class,and not only explained proper technique to me,but his philosophy about the drum set.He approached every piece differently,buy played them in harmony with each other.

My work schedule changed drasticly after a transfer to a different unit,so taking lessons with Joe was out.

A sweetheart of a guy,a gifted and patient teacher and a great drummer.

Steve B

I've met so many who have been very nice and truly willing to talk.

I studied privately with some big name drummers who were absolutely the TOPS when it came to personality.

At a PASIC event back in the 1980's I was able to meet and talk (for a long time) with Louie Bellson, and Ed Thigpen. Have been fortunate to speak with Steve Gadd on several occasions.

Not that they are drummers but need to give props to some big name musicians I've actually played with who have also been GOLD in terms of personality, etc... They sure did need to have the patience of a saint to endure putting up with my playing.

I met Stanton Moore at a clinic. He was very personable and pleasant. A real nice guy.

I had a similar experience last January when I saw Galactic. He invited me to come have a drink and chat but I had to leave. I'm seeing them again in a few days, hopefully I'll be able to get an autograph or something.

I had a similar experience last January when I saw Galactic. He invited me to come have a drink and chat but I had to leave. I'm seeing them again in a few days, hopefully I'll be able to get an autograph or something.

I also had a good experience chatting with Stanton between sets at a free gig he was performing in LA a few years ago. At the time, he had just launched the Stanton Moore Drum Company, so he was showing off his new titanium snare and talking about some of its features. Really nice, really knowledgeable guy. But every time I see him, I always think of the kid from Jerry Maguire all grown up :)

Dom Famularo called Mike Mangini for me, told Mike that he had a student that Mike absolutely had to take on and Mike said sure.

Two way cool guys.

Ditto for Dom. I met him at a drum clinic and he treated me like he had known me for life. He then went on to tell the entire crowd that I reminded him of his ex wife. for her I feel sorry. He may have met her before he started wearing glasses

He then went on to tell the entire crowd that I reminded him of his ex wife. for her I feel sorry.

Don't be so hard on yourself Grunt. I'm sure you'll make a fine ex-wife someday. :)

All that I've met have rubbed me the right way, in that they all took the time to shake hands, have a general chat and be exceptionally friendly, gracious and accomodating about it. Not that I've met many huge names on a world scale. Donati would have the highest profile and I met him in the 90's when he was still a Melbourne boy. The others all had good reputations and high profiles here in Oz, but wouldn't really be known outside the country.

Every big name I have ever met has always been a class act. I think our negative posters need to be aware that it takes two to tango. Lots of "fans" are a little pushy when it comes to being in the presense of someone who has been their idol.

To add my humble two cents ... Ian Paice is probably the most patient man I have ever met. A true gentleman and obviously accustomed to some weird fan requests. I will say no more.

Just looking for a little positivity to counteract that other thread...

I've met a few drummers over the years and I would say that Jeff Hamilton is probably been the nicest one.

I met him at a clinic a couple years ago, actually it was a jazz trio clinic but he did most of the presenting. At first he comes off as perhaps a little gruff but he was actually very nice and professional. Afterwards, I asked him privately a few things about Ed Thigpen (my hero) since he mentioned hanging around him so much. He shared a couple beautiful memories of the man and his apprach to music. That alone was worth the trip.

Also, had he chosen to do so, he could have been pretty rude to me. I accidentally temporarily blinded him a couple times taking photos during his performance. We actually laughed about later on. Where I apologized profusely...

All in all, Mr Hamilton was definitely a class act.

I had the pleasure of spending an entire week with Jeff Hamilton last summer at a jazz camp in Port Townsend Washington. He is a nice guy but could be a bit intimidating or gruff as you put it but really is just kind of a smart ass with a great sense of humor. He has all kinds of great stories about Papa Jo, Art Blakey, Mel Lewis, Ed Thigpen just to name a few. It's amazing how many greats he new and worked with.

One thing he will get mad at is when you video tape a master class!

Brian Tichy is an all around humble guy. Met him through Facebook and he invited me out to a WS show in KC, tour manager met me at box office and provided show and after show passes on him. Great drummer, even better human being!

Also a fan of Dom F...

domf.jpg

Back