Favorite Zildjian Ride?

ive been listening more and more the 21" Sweet ride, and i like the fact that it is so easily crashable. So can i get any imput of any one who has owned or owns one? and also suggest any rides similar to it? thanks guys/gals

I have the 21 A Sweet Ride. I got it just a few weeks ago. I really like it so far. The brilliant finish is very intense once I cleaned it up. It is definitely more of a rock crash. If you want something to crash, I think this is the better option. The K ride has a really great pingy sound though. When I was looking I found the K very alluring until I realized that while the pingy sound is really fun, it doesnt integrate into Rock as well, at least in my opinion.

One day I plan on picking up the K as well to switch out when i'm playing different kinds of music.

I have quite a few ride cymbals. My two favorite are my 21" Armand Zildjian and then my 20" Zildjian & CIE.

Next in order are:

20" 1970s Paiste Formula 602
20" 1950s A. Zildjian
20" 1960s A. Zildjian

Barry

Last edited:
I've been using a nice sweet ride for about 6 months now. Getting really bored with it. It sounds good enough, but it just doesn't seem to have ANYTHING that stands out. It's not complex enough for jazz, and doesn't cut enough for rock. Although it does sound wonderful with mallets...

ive been listening more and more the 21" Sweet ride, and i like the fact that it is so easily crashable. So can i get any imput of any one who has owned or owns one? and also suggest any rides similar to it? thanks guys/gals

The 21" Armand Ride has similar characteristics to the Sweet Ride. The subtleties obviously vary....the Armand can offer a little more tonal complexity I feel, but than again, that depends on which Sweet Ride you are comparing it too. There tends to be a pretty wide variation from one SR to another......some offer a little more ping, some wash out more easily than others etc etc. But all in all, they are pretty comparable cymbals.

I haven't been able to play it lately, but I love my 22" A Custom Pong Ride. Such a great sound and can fill up the room. Great crash sound too.

I have a 22 zildjian ping ride too. I like the sound, but, Im not sure about crashing with it. It seems kinda heavy for that.

I have a 22 zildjian ping ride too. I like the sound, but, Im not sure about crashing with it. It seems kinda heavy for that.

I'm always surprised when I read about guys who like the sound of their Ping rides when crashed too. I've got a 20" A Ping ride.....excellent, sharp and cutting ride, but the most horrible crash sound ever. I know Zildjian cymbals have pretty wide tolerances from one to another, but I've still never been lucky enough to hear a Ping that produces an acceptable crash sound. I reckon there are far better choices for a crashable ride.

I'm with MadAboutDrums... I've played an (original) 20" K Custom for 22 years now, and it's still tops. That is something I can point to and say, "That's MY sound" (if for no other reason that it's the only one in town!)

My 22" K heavy ride...

Also love the A sweet ride and Armand ride as crashes :)..

Always fancied trying a 22 A ping ride though.

My go-to was the 22" K Custom Medium ride. It was perfect - just enough ping and wash and a clear bell...played primarily rock music with loud amps.

20" A custom Ping Ride or 21" Z Mega Bell.

I like a defined PING when I play my ride and obviously do not crash my ride cymbals.

Boy you should try an old earth ride, completely different world of "ping!"

I'm always surprised when I read about guys who like the sound of their Ping rides when crashed too. I've got a 20" A Ping ride.....excellent, sharp and cutting ride, but the most horrible crash sound ever. I know Zildjian cymbals have pretty wide tolerances from one to another, but I've still never been lucky enough to hear a Ping that produces an acceptable crash sound. I reckon there are far better choices for a crashable ride.

Let me clarify a bit. Compared to what I had before (ZBT Ride) it has a great crash sound. I haven't played that many rides, so what I may find great others may find mediocre or bad. I bought the ride while at PASIC in 2006 and it's held up to my playing. I chose the ping because the ZBT didn't have that good of a sound. If I had the cash I would have went for a K (22" or 24"). After replacing a cracked crash I might invest in a K.

The sweet ride is definitely a sweet ride. Used to have it and loved it. Sold it to try out some different rides. Also loved the 20" k custom dark ride. Shouldn't have sold either of those, but I finally found my perfect ride: 1950's zildjian a series 20". Found mine for $160. Look for the ones on the thinner side. Very similar to the sweet ride but a little easier to get a crash out of it. I love that thing it sounds so good at shows.

it seems to be pointing to that the K Custom rides work best for most. Im probably getting annoying by now because i cant make up my mind. Im just looking for something that has alot of bright sound to it. To give an idea of what my sound is close to, i listen to alot of Foo Fighters, Led Zeppelin, The Whigs, alot of Indie rock bands and some garage rock like bands. I see them all playing on their rides when its an intense part of the song, and it sounds like the ride is a crash. i just want that sound. after i get my ride, im going to go for a new pair of hats, which will be easier, because they all sound good to me above what i have.

^ ha I'm that guy :p

I have a sweet ride which I absolutely love. I found one that has a really nice blend between ping and wash. It sits perfectly in almost any genre of music (except metal, unless used as a crash) without being too overpowering. Definitely go the sweet ride over the k hybrid as it has a nice tone in my opinion.

Let me clarify a bit..........

^ ha I'm that guy :p

Hey, I'm not questioning how your ears hear it men. If you guys say you hear a crashability there, then I don't doubt it. I just know that my Ping ride sounds horrible when crashed....as do a few others that I've heard and I don't usually associate them as being crashable is all. Love the thing....just for reasons other than it making a good crash sound.

Im just looking for something that has alot of bright sound to it.

I just don't hear K's or K Customs as having "a lot of bright sound" to them. They are quite complex with darker tones, hence why the jazzers love 'em.....they are cymbals that thrive on really being explored by pulling tones out of them, rather than beaten mercilessly by crash riding them in a loud setting IMHO. If it's a bright cymbal that you can really lay into that you're after, I'd suggest you keep exploring the A or A Custom series. For that garage/indie/Travis Baker/Taylor Hawkins style of crash riding, I'd be looking at the Sweet Ride or an A Medium ride, personally.

But then again, I don't think Ping rides are crashable, so what the hell do I know. :)

Last edited:
Back