Stanton Moore here

I admired Stanton and the various cuts I've heard him on, then I got his video, and he just blew my mind. If you haven't seen his DVD, you should...

Thanks Stanton!!

I interviewed Stanton for Classic Drummer magazine in 2006, and then we got together at NAMM in January, '07. He's a great guy, and a terrific drummer. Funky as hell; he has the New Orleans groove down. I think you guys know that already. We were both endorsing Bosphorus cymbals at that point in time, and Stanton helped me pick out one of his Wide Rides in the booth. He gave it his stamp of approval. I still have it. Great cymbal.

Stanton Moore and Galactica This weekend in St. Pete, Fl, at the

Sunshine Music and Blues Festival 2014
Vinoy Park, St. Petersburg, FL
Jan 19, 2014

Looking forward to it!!!

For anyone interested, Stanton is doing an indiegogo campaign to fund a cd by his jazz trio.

There are many ways to contribute for cds, vinyl records, meet and greets, drums, cymbals, etc.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/stanton-moore-jazz-album

Update: it got funded!

I saw him at a local REMO clinic back around 2003. Great guy; seeing him take straight beats and grease them up was really inspiring to me as a beginner, feeling stuck at the time with RLRL LRLR.

I ran into (literally) Stanton Moore at the Chicago Drum Show two weeks ago. While I couldn't get a picture, I did get to run into him. He was looking the opposite direction while venturing across the exhibit area. I aimed myself and managed to obtain a giant bear hug before he knew what hit him.

Steph

Hello All,

I am not a "second line" type however, this "composite" from New Breed (note: the asterisk measure) THAT ONE measure as a groove in the style of "New Orleans Second line" drumming... seems to fit the style..

Attachments

• Chester Composite partial 1.jpg
    Chester Composite partial 1.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 632
stantons work on corrosion of conformitys arms of god album was fantastic, made that band sound so much more drum technical more than any other drummer ever has for coc. Ill have to say my fav album from coc is arms of god with stanton moore on drums.

I watched a couple of his solo's and him teaching and i just couldn't see it. He seemed kinda egotistical and i wasn't super impressed with his playing. Maybe i need to check some more videos out. Any recommendations

I watched a couple of his solo's and him teaching and i just couldn't see it. He seemed kinda egotistical and i wasn't super impressed with his playing. Maybe i need to check some more videos out. Any recommendations

Troll bait?

I went to one of his recent jazz trio shows. The guy was extremely nice during the show and utterly refused to take a bow, despite it being his trio. He kept deferring praise to the guy playing bass (a real weirdo with Doc Brown hair and a question mark suit on, but man he could play) and the pianist.

Afterwards he stood in the corner to greet people and sign autographs, something few of the acts do. I was second in line behind a woman with 40 things she was clearly going to sell on eBay, but he signed everything with a smile, talked to everyone in the line, even let me make a joke about how short he is and waited patiently for us to frame him and me in pictures.

As for the playing: it's New Orleans jazz and second-line, it's supposed to sound a little loose. But I don't know of any other player that comes close to his level in that genre.

Yes. go to one of his clinics. he is far from egotistical and in person you would be impressed believe me.

Stanton Moore was here tonight in Portland at the Aladdin Theater for $25. I skipped it due to the coronavirus pandemic. In fact I'm not playing in a band for the foreseeable future, until this thing is over. Might be a few months, a year. :(

whatever happened to his Crescent line of cymbals. He's playing Zildjian now.

whatever happened to his Crescent line of cymbals. He's playing Zildjian now.

Funny you ask - I met Stanton Moore at NAMM years ago and it all happened because of his crazy cymbal journey.

We happened to be in the lunch line together and I was so stoked because I just signed with Bosphorus : at the time they were promoting his signature line, etc. so I took the oppurtunity to say "Hey man - I just signed with Bosphorus and I'm going to pick up some of you cymbals! look at me go!" haha - and he was SO nice when he informed me that he he had actually just left Bosphorus to start Crescent Cymbals and took me over to the booth haha.

So him and Jeff Hamilton - these ex Bosphorus folks - started Crescent cymbals. edit: Drummers Michael Vosbein and Bill Norman also started it with them.

Those eventually got purchased by Sabian - who has the Crescent line.

And now - Stanton announced that he is playing with Zildjian - I'm sure there will be some kind of "New Orleans" line that comes from it.

So you can get one of his "Pang Thangs" from Bosphorus (now called the Groove Series and that cymbals [with the HUGE hammer marks] is called the Dirty Crash.

Or you can the Crescent line from Sabian - Which seems to have removed some of the Stanton Moore cymbals - and now focus on the Jeff Hamilton signature cymbals.

And I'm sure we'll see a line coming from Zildjian.

Crazy! (Now he just needs a Paiste line haha)

Here's a page from his website where he demos the Sabian cymbals (which don't seem to be available any longer) - probably fun to watch these official Sabian videos before they disappear!:

Back