G-gulp. No pressure, then.

Magenta

Platinum Member
My jazz band played our first gig in November. It was one of those unpaid ones that you hope will lead to something - and it has. Innocent, unsuspecting members of the public are going to have to PAY MONEY to see us, which is a new experience for me! The poster advertises "an evening of postmodern cool" (whatever that is) and "artisan food and drink" (whatever that is); the promoter's blurb states that they feature "the best nationally emerging Jazz Artists from the UK and beyond." If I fall off the radar, you may confidently assume that I've disappeared up my own arse :D :D :D

I should add that the other members of the band are very, VERY good indeed.

Attachments

• 16508797_1798457057087202_900731781514923646_n.jpg
    16508797_1798457057087202_900731781514923646_n.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 363
Very cool! West Kirby's an old stomping ground of mine.

Madge - you've got this, & you have good players to support the vibe. Enjoy it - rejoice in it, & that fun will spill over into your performance.

Oh, & keep it simple ;)

Good on you. I've been at the drums more than 15 years, and Jazz is still a weak area of mine.

Kick that gig's butt.

Well then. Good luck sleeping this week Madge. Will you be recording?

Wonderful news! Congratulations!! I hope there will be videos :)

Oh, & keep it simple ;)

You make it sound as if I have a choice!

I've been at the drums more than 15 years, and Jazz is still a weak area of mine.

Kick that gig's butt.

Ah, I make no claims as to quality! But I shall endeavour to do as you say.

Good luck sleeping this week Madge.

I'm working in Dublin Tuesday-Friday next week, which is probably a good thing in a way. Sticks and pad are coming with me. At the moment, though, I'm worrying most about what to do with my hair.

Will you be recording?
I hope there will be videos :)

I don't know if there will be any recording of any sort; none of us has the technology so it depends whether anybody at the venue does it. And as far as I'm concerned, there won't be any video if I don't get my hair right.

Must admit, that's never featured in my top 5 reasons to avoid filming the band ;)

Then you can never have had a band member with Mad Hair. If you had, it'd be a different story, I assure you! Be thankful.

If you had not already proven to the others in the band that you were up to it, you would not be there at all. Please don't let the occasion get to you. Live in the moment, nail it and enjoy it.

Very cool! You should be proud of yourself.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't pretty damned chuffed :)

If you had not already proven to the others in the band that you were up to it, you would not be there at all. Please don't let the occasion get to you. Live in the moment, nail it and enjoy it.

Thanks Mike! I am the weakest link in the band and I've said as much to them and even offered to fall on my sword so that they can find somebody more experienced, but they all told me I'm a good fit and they want me. That made me feel great and all the more determined to do the best I can to repay their confidence in me.

I'm going to have fun. This is what I always wanted, since I started to play drums, and now it's happening. I feel blessed.

Madge, this is great! And will be a blast. Just have fun and we'll be here to listen to just how much fun it actually was. Sleep easy....

That's fantastic, Madge! Congrats! Knock em dead, break a leg, and all that jazz. ;)

"I'd be lying if I said I wasn't pretty damned chuffed :)"

As well you should be! Nice accolades indeed! Congratulations.

And as far as I'm concerned, there won't be any video if I don't get my hair right.

Madge, in all respect...with natural beauty like yours, your hair would never be an issue. Plus, nobody will be even looking at your hair. They'll all be enjoying the music and your playing too much.

Please let us know how it goes!

This is fantasticbrilliantstupendousawesome!

Post modern cool and artisan food means that you are now a hipster.

A fixie riding, skinny jeans wearing, latte sipping, goatee beard owning hipster.
(Some attributes may not apply.)

Utterly delighted for you, your Madge.

Keep a copy of the poster for your mem-whas.

That is great....hoping to see video!

Have a great time!

Otto

See how much you are revered and loved here. How can you lose. You are a fellow drummer and I am proud to say I am the same.

Post modern cool and artisan food means that you are now a hipster.

A fixie riding, skinny jeans wearing, latte sipping, goatee beard owning hipster.

You'll need a glass jar to drink from. And a piece of wood or roofing iron to eat off.

You'll also need to make all your cymbals murky brown and rusty, then lower your drums, sit really high and tilt everything away from you.

Actually sounds like a fun gig. Play simply with a swinging groove - don't try to show off or over play. Be the solid foundation for the lead players to build on.

Back