VST plugins for Cubase

WayneWickman

Any VST plugin recommendations? My upgraded mixer is capable of tracking each mic independently, opening up a whole new world of recording possibilities. Cubase has some decent presets but are a little limited in regards to drums. Looking for suggestions.

Thanks
W

Hi,

What version of cubase?

I think using presets isn't really the way to go anyway as it may not work for that particular track. If you understand how compression, gating, eq and all the others actually work then you can make any plugin do what you want.

Anyway a good place to chack out is kvraudio.com. You can search its whole library of plugins in quite a lot of detail and it has loads of freeware plugins as well which is good.

Hope this helps

Dave

Thanks for the input. I'm new to this, My old Alesis mixer only output one stereo track. Now I have the Multimix 16, USB 2 version and I can multitrack. Compression, gain, filters are relatively new. Presets are useful in getting to know "what they can do", but in the end I would like to customize. I have Cubase LE 4, which is the limited edition.

Cool, with LE4 you should still be able to do all the things you need in cubase regarding compression etc.

Before you visit KVR visit www.soundonsound.com this is a UK sound engineering magazine that has been going for ages. Kind of a SE version of Modern Drummer.

Search through the back catalogue of articles and see if you can find anything on compression, gating, gain structure etc.

Once you've got them get experimenting. Good thing to do would be to get some samples. Like a drum loop, guitar, bass and a vocal or something and start putting effects on them. Take them to the extreme to see what that sounds like. Then just mess around. Especially in sound engineering its your ears so get them working.
Use you ears and do what sounds good.

If you need any help then feel free to PM me

Cheers

Dave

Back