DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 12-25-2009, 01:46 PM

Default Again Rudiment Question

hi, for about 2 weeks now i practised the single stroke roll, even velocities, equal gripping, timing and so on and now i dont know: keep on practising singles? or starting with single stroke four, or another one? or keep practising singles and fours? i dont know what to do, can anybody give me a guide line or is it a personal preference question?
Old 12-25-2009, 02:18 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Again Rudiment Question

I practice singles, doubles, buzzes and flams nearly every day. Those are our building blocks. If you're looking to see improvement, it can take weeks and months to see major changes in your speed and control. Keep putting in your time daily, keep track of your progress and results will come.

Certainly, there's no reason not to practice your singles and fours (or other groupings) together, one after the other, alternately or in any possible combination you can concieve of. From my perspective, the most important thing is the quality of your practice. No TV, no distractions, just you and your drum/pad. Get everything out of your head except playing your strokes as perfectly as you can manage. Get as many senses as possible engaged in your practice.

Watch what you're doing: hand positions/grip, heights, placement of strokes on the drum.

Feel what you're doing: releasing all unnecessary tension following a line down from beneath your ears, across your shoulders/back, down your upper arms, across your forearms, across backs of your hands, all the way to your finger tips. Note the texture/temperature of the sticks and where in your hand you feel contact with them; sometimes our hands look the same, but we're actually holding the stick in slightly different places with each hand.

Listen to the sound you're making: are the sticks vibrating when you play the pad? Are the pitches even, is the sound the same, is one hand choking the stick more than the other? What does each stroke on the drum sound like? Are they even? How much of the drum can you get singing with little effort?

The full concentration of your being, coupled with repetition will bring results. And have some compassion and patience with yourself, mastery takes time.

Last edited by Boomka; 12-25-2009 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12-25-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomka View Post
I practice singles, doubles, buzzes and flams nearly every day. Those are our building blocks. If you're looking to see improvement, it can take weeks and months to see major changes in your speed and control. Keep putting in your time daily, keep track of your progress and results will come.

Certainly, there's no reason not to practice your singles and fours (or other groupings) together, one after the other, alternately or in any possible combination you can concieve of. From my perspective, the most important thing is the quality of your practice. No TV, no distractions, just you and your drum/pad. Get everything out of your head except playing your strokes as perfectly as you can manage. Get as many senses as possible engaged in your practice.

Watch what you're doing: hand positions/grip, heights, placement of strokes on the drum.

Feel what you're doing: releasing all unnecessary tension following a line down from beneath your ears, across your shoulders/back, down your upper arms, across your forearms, across backs of your hands, all the way to your finger tips. Note the texture/temperature of the sticks and where in your hand you feel contact with them; sometimes our hands look the same, but we're actually holding the stick in slightly different places with each hand.

Listen to the sound you're making: are the sticks vibrating when you play the pad? Are the pitches even, is the sound the same, is one hand choking the stick more than the other? What does each stroke on the drum sound like? Are they even? How much of the drum can you get singing with little effort?

The full concentration of your being, coupled with repetition will bring results. And have some compassion and patience with yourself, mastery takes time.
Do what he said, but I wouldn't worry about getting the buzz roll down yet, switch that for paradidles!
Old 12-25-2009, 07:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanw123 View Post
Do what he said, but I wouldn't worry about getting the buzz roll down yet, switch that for paradidles!
Poor buzzes. So often ignored and left alone to fend for themselves.
Old 12-25-2009, 08:33 PM

Have at it...........

http://www.vicfirth.com/education/rudiments.html
Old 12-26-2009, 07:43 AM
Gold Member

You can never work on singles enough, hit them everyday no matter what else you add on to your rudimental to-do list. It's the most basic, yet still my weakest. Training hand motions takes time, but it's worth it.
billbachman.net