DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 12-22-2009, 11:12 AM
Platinum Member

Default Sucked me back in.

Yes, that's right. I'm really sorry i really did think i had quit but it looks like that isn't the case. Anyway the point is i'm going to do some actual proper practicing now. I think the most woeful part of my technique is my feet so i'm gonna start with this. It's really a simple matter of practicing along to the 16ths setting on my met and making sure each and every beat is on target for a while. What i'm really wondering though is about how long i can keep it up for? Should i like stick a certain amount of time on a countdown timer and play it until it runs out or something? And how long should that be?

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 12-22-2009, 11:19 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Sucked me back in.

Start off slowly, and build speed gradually (matter of days, not minutes). Work on accuracy and muscle memory.

Vary straight 16th (LRLRLRLR) with rudiments (I love to paradiddle with my feet), interplay between hands and feet (again, rudiments, but maybe left hand/right foot or vice versa), and dynamics and accents (accent every 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th note, etc) as you build basic accuracy at a tempo. then build speed on... again, gradually.

Get hold of a study book to give you ideas. I was just reading a thread on Syncopation and it got me fired up to go find a copy again and work on the exercises, but concentrating on all four limbs as opposed to two hands.

Welcome back ... we missed you!
Old 12-22-2009, 03:49 PM
Platinum Member

i'd also mix in some playing along to songs involving footwork just so you don't get too bored with practicing technique all the time. that's what i do. i know it's important, but i can only take so much playing exercises to a metronome before it gets really dull, and you complained about getting bored and frustrated too. i usually start off my practice sessions playing exercises to a metronome, but then get into playing along to recordings later on. i think it also is good to practice playing actual music rather than just exercises %100 of the time because playing music is the ultimate goal after all.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dairyairman View Post
i'd also mix in some playing along to songs involving footwork just so you don't get too bored with practicing technique all the time. that's what i do. i know it's important, but i can only take so much playing exercises to a metronome before it gets really dull, and you complained about getting bored and frustrated too. i usually start off my practice sessions playing exercises to a metronome, but then get into playing along to recordings later on. i think it also is good to practice playing actual music rather than just exercises %100 of the time because playing music is the ultimate goal after all.
the big trouble is that i can't actually play any of the songs i want to do unless i get my foot stuff sorted. My hands are just about passable, for now at least but i really need to get my foot technique down before i can really make a decent attempt at doing any of my songs.

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 12-22-2009, 08:26 PM
Platinum Member

is there any way you could step back and work on some songs that aren't quite so out of reach but still give you a reasonable workout with your feet, like maybe some old metallica songs or something? you don't want to get back in the same old rut where you're just working on exercises all the time and getting bored and frustrated because improvement isn't coming fast enough. could you work on something completely different like polyrhythms, latin rhythms, fills, independence, or odd time signatures? that could also help break things up and keep you from getting too bored.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dairyairman View Post
is there any way you could step back and work on some songs that aren't quite so out of reach but still give you a reasonable workout with your feet, like maybe some old metallica songs or something? you don't want to get back in the same old rut where you're just working on exercises all the time and getting bored and frustrated because improvement isn't coming fast enough. could you work on something completely different like polyrhythms, latin rhythms, fills, independence, or odd time signatures? that could also help break things up and keep you from getting too bored.
Well maybe but even simple songs like disturbed i can't seem to do properly. I think the problem before was not getting bored with the tedium of excersizes but actually just the opposite which is not doing any excersizes whatsoever and getting bored at being usless at playing songs. I think working on stuff like time signatures and fills is a bit of an idea along with working on technique and timing though. My personal opinion is that i need to just work out a practice schedule and actually just stick to it until one day i might actually be decent on the drums.

EHs Music Facebook Page