Nuggets of hard won wisdom

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
I'm sure we all have some little things we do...silently, that we've learned on our own that we employ, to the end of being regarded as a good player.

Like for instance, and this is speaking generally, the very first song of the night, I try and hold back a little volume-wise.

Why?

To keep... and not lose...anyone from the crowd. When a drummer comes on like gangbusters from the first note on...that's not very considerate. Like if a guy is there with his date, I want to make sure that I don't turn them off by being too out front with the volume right from jump street. I prefer to ease the crowd into my volume. It's considerate.

Sometimes (not much) my band leader will say to hit a little harder on the first song, but I like to be a little considerate in the beginning. There's a larger issue here that's kind of a drummer thing. So I kind of ignore it. I think it's appreciated by the crowd. If I came on real strong, I bet there are some people who might get turned off at the prospect of a whole night with a loud drummer. I found if I start slow and ease them into it, they like it better. And they stay.

Of course it depends on the gig. My main gig is a restaurant/bar, so it's not a "show". Our volume sensibilities are very much appreciated by the staff and the clientele as well. I hear it a lot. Mainly by being compared to the other bands that play there, and how we don't blow everybody out. Volume is really important. Of course if it's a "show" where we are the center of activity, that's different. But when people are hanging in a bar, they need to be able to hear. The bar staff needs to be able to hear peoples orders. I am very tuned in to that. Us drummers can clear a room pretty quick with the volume.

So do you have any little nuggets of wisdom you have learned over the years?

Let's hear them.

Playing related, I actually start the first song a little slower than the tempo in my head before I start. That way, it usually hits it about right. I did screw up that aspect on the first gig with the new trio however. We used the first song as the sound check, & played it too fast, so when it came to the gig, I held back - unfortunately, a touch too much :(

Things I have learned:
Not hitting a cymbal at the beginning of a new part or measure will often give that change more of an impact compared to hitting a cymbal.
If I can't seem to do things I used to be able to do on the bass drum, change the batter head.
Jamming is like having a conversation. Don't walk into a room and start yelling over everybody.
Don't expect fame, money or girls from playing drums. Just expect the opportunity to play music, and you'll be much happier.

If you get into music to make money, you will be disappointed. If you get into music to make music, you will be happy.

Larry, we know exactly what kind of "wisdom nuggets" you're into.

This is a F***ing family website, you corrupter.

Don't eat bar food.

Putting moonjel on a girlfriend doesn't really help much.

I remember reading something from the old National Lampoon back in the 1970s. It was sage advice back in the day and remains so today. Words to live by, so to speak. Whether or not it applies to your drumming only you can say: "Never stick anything larger than your elbow up your ass."

Of course, you can take that literally or figuratively.

Don't play poker with a guy that has a gold tooth in the front row of his mouth.

Never play billiards for money against a gent that has a nickname referencing his body-weight (Slim, Fat Tony, Skinny Ned, Big Dave)

While you are on stage in front of an audience; don’t try out any new complex rhythm patters that you just thought of on the fly, especially if you have never played them before.

Another nugget of wisdom:

My drums are used for open mic jam night. After I’m done playing I swap out my vintage Ludwig snare drum for my backup Tama Superstar snare.

A few weeks ago I was listening to the jam drummers play and the Tama snare drum was sounding really good.
While the third jam drummer was playing I was talking to the first jam drummer and he said, “Hey I found this really nice sounding snare drum sitting behind your drums.”

Oh My Gosh........ the jam drummers were using my vintage Ludwig !

When you are not on the stage, always remove anything of value from the stage.

Don't mud wrestle with a pig.You get dirty,and the pig likes it.It's a metaphore that can be applied to many circumstances.

Steve B

Along the same lines: Never try to teach a pig to sing. You'll just get frustrated and irritate the pig.

Nuggets are easier to come by in WA and CO.

Oh, wait, nuggets of wisdom...

Mine are few and far between. What works for me is playing fairly simply and minding the details.

I try and be considerate to the others and do all my stands off stage and bring it up in the most logical order. Also, when we're done, I try and get my bass drum off the stage quickly so they don't have to maneuver around it. On big stages it doesn't matter but on small stages the guys appreciate it.

Best nugget ever, shut up and play courtesy of Tony A.

And you guys with your double entendre stuff, you're bad! Putting words in my mouth and all, why I never!

Three simple thoughts for you,

1) When you sound check the whole kit, actually play with the same intensity you will play at during the gig.

2) When recording play at about 70% your live intensity level; you will thank me for this when the day has turned to night and your 6 hrs in.

3) If you are on a kit share, and encounter a less than optimal kit, concentrate on stool/hats/kick/snare. If the toms are dented like the surface of the moon, remove them less is more.

I try to get to the gig and get set-up before the guitar players arrive because they always want to put their stuff right next to my cymbal stands leaving no room if I want to adjust them outwardly. So I make sure I am set first before they can infringe on my area.

I try to get to the gig and get set-up before the guitar players arrive because they always want to put their stuff right next to my cymbal stands leaving no room if I want to adjust them outwardly. So I make sure I am set first before they can infringe on my area.

Exactly !!

Right on !

If I'm playing on a provided kit at a practice space or venue I always bring a snare stand with me - one too many times I've shown up to find a kit with power toms and I like my rack tom low. Makes it much easier to get the set up to work for me.

I try and be considerate to the others and do all my stands off stage and bring it up in the most logical order. Also, when we're done, I try and get my bass drum off the stage quickly so they don't have to maneuver around it. On big stages it doesn't matter but on small stages the guys appreciate it.
Yes! Good one, Larry. When you're on a multi-band bill and there's another drummer waiting to set up his kit right after you, PLEASE, in the name of all that is righteous, don't start taking all your cymbals off their stands and bagging them up all nice while still on stage. Get yer shit off the stage and outta the way first! Almost nothing at a gig irritates me more than waiting for some n00b chump baby his kit while cutting into our set time.

Back