heads for a Sonor S Classix

Hey,

I've been playing Aquarian Texture Coated heads on my kit for over a month now. They're missing something. Don't know what it is. I wouldn't say Aquarian makes bad heads or anything...these heads just aren't doing it for me.

If anyone plays a Sonor S Classix...what heads brings out the best in them? Well, not the 'best' since that's down to what you're into...but you know what I mean.

I considered just trying Aquarian's 2ply heads...but when I held it my hand it was sooooo stiff compared to an Emperor or G2. I'd imagine it'd be really dead...it'd sound like the box it came in as they say.

I think I'll switch to Evans. I'm looking for that fat warm sound that Benny Greb gets out of his SQ2 on his DVD. I know it's a recording and all that...I mean whatever it actually sounds like.

Fat, warm...without being dead. I'm thinking G2. I played G2s on a Delite once and I wet myself. Has anyone played them on an S Classix?

I know Benny uses Remo, but I don't want to use them. I've heard and seen too much about their coating problems.

SonorPlayer

G2 and Emperor heads are not dead-sounding in the least. I think you're confusing G2s with Evans EC2s or Hydraulics. They are just a little less resonant than Ambassadors/G1s, and have a bit less of the high-pitched overtones that are so prevalent in jazz drumming. If you tune them right, though, e.g., both heads the same pitch, they will be plenty open if you want that sound. I would suggest you go for either Emperors or G2s, or the Aquarian equivalent. Give them a shot.

I use Emperers on top and Ambassadors on bottom. I tune them pretty low and I find I get a pretty fat sound without having that dull thud.

I use coated Ambassadors on my snare and haven't had any problems with quality, but it seems on this forum allota people have.

Back