How to get the Fire back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flicky

I've been playing since 12 and toured heavily through the mid 80's and 90's. Since 99' i've been doing nothing but session work, but now have many offers to play live again. I find my self to be conditioned to play only 4 to 5 songs in a recording session compared to a full nights worth of songs. Now at 43, The thought of playing in Bars again really doesn't sound appealing. I recently recorded drums for Tommy Skeoch's (ex Tesla) second solo album and he wants me to play live with him also.
Am I being lazy? How do I get that fire back to want to be able to play full live shows again?
I know it takes practice to condition myself for a full night of playing, but I feel through the years of recording my interest in playing live with all the hassles that come with it has faded somehow. Kinda hard to explain... Got a set list from a local band and was learning the songs, but Just seems like a same ole same ole feeling.. Boring.. I want to play live or at least I tell myself I want to play live.. The money is good and could always use extra money..
Just need to find that fire and drive to want to put in hours of practice for conditioning..
Anyone else going through the same? Any idea's?

Thanks

give Tommy my number and leave your fire out

;)

c'mon man....it's not like you are doing a triathlon ...you are playing drums...something you have always known

just get out there and do it !!!

all this light my fire stuff is in your head

At only 43, you're too young to have lost that passion, and too young to be lazy or spoiled. It might simply be a lack of tolerance for hauling drums in & out of clubs. In which case, I don't think there's a way to re-instill that desire, and forcing yourself 'just because' will only make you resent every gig.

It's not something you can talk yourself into, although wanting to have a discussion is a good sign. Just do some gigs and see how you feel, that's the only way to know if you're up to it. Playing for 45 minutes, or even an hour & 45 isn't that bad. A few gigs like that and you're back up to speed.

But seriously, 43 is young. Don't get the idea that you're to old for local gigs, you're not. I'm 56 and play with several bands, and love every minute of it. I'll do this as long as people still ask me to play.

Bermuda

Thanks guys. It's got to be all in my head. Bermuda, I think you're right about having to haul the drums in and out clubs. That seems like the thought that mostly pops into my head.
Thanks for the advice guys!

Hauling gear is the part of almost every gig that most drummers like the least, but it goes with territory. Always has, always will. But for me, it's never been a deal-breaker, I enjoy playing too much to let that occupational hazard (read: cost of doing business) get in my way.

Bermuda

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't remember it ever being an issue back when I was out and had a bigger kit. Now i'm down to a four piece which would make life alot easier. That's a positive! I think I'll do as advised and just get out there and do it. Thanks for the ear..

Thanks

Maybe take this opportunity to get a new kit with nice thin shells so its feather light... (new kit, new kit...haha)

Too bad it doesnt work in reverse, get a new kit and get asked to tour (I would need like 5 of me)

A new kit would be great, but not at this time. lol

At only 43, you're too young to have lost that passion, and too young to be lazy or spoiled. It might simply be a lack of tolerance for hauling drums in & out of clubs. In which case, I don't think there's a way to re-instill that desire, and forcing yourself 'just because' will only make you resent every gig.

It's not something you can talk yourself into, although wanting to have a discussion is a good sign. Just do some gigs and see how you feel, that's the only way to know if you're up to it. Playing for 45 minutes, or even an hour & 45 isn't that bad. A few gigs like that and you're back up to speed.

But seriously, 43 is young. Don't get the idea that you're to old for local gigs, you're not. I'm 56 and play with several bands, and love every minute of it. I'll do this as long as people still ask me to play.

Bermuda

I'm 40, didn't play at all for about 10 years, and about 4 years ago started a band with my best friend's brother-in-law. I'm also the sound engineer for the band so I have double duty in getting not only my kit set up but also in making sure the PA is set up properly and then doing the sound check. The way I look at it is this: I get paid to load in and to tear down. What I do in between is my time. ;-)

After 10 years did you have a hard time getting back into it?

I find it interesting, the human condition. I only gig 2 to 3 one nighters a month. I love to play, but if i returned to gigging full time like I used to (6-7 days a week) my enthusiasim would probably waiver. It is human nature to desire what we do not possess. I sometimes forgot the times where I dreaded going away from home, and gigging non stop. Now I sometimes feel like I want to go out full time, and even though I remember the baggage and difficult emotions that go with it, I dont recall them realistically, we tend to romanticize the memory more than the reality.

Yeah, it's kinda like I want it but don't want it. I'm very content in doing nothing but studio work..But I still want what I used to have, with out all the baggage that comes with it. There's less stress in studio work, for me anyway.. But I will give it a shot and see how it go's.
Practice practice practice! I'm so rusty! Need to knock this rust off soon, so i'll be putting in some heavy practicing in the next few weeks.

Nice bike by the way.. 750? 1000?

Fire doesn't come from outside sources, it comes from within. If you lost it there's not much we can say to inspire you.

But I'll give it a try.

Shame on you. You have a great opportunity, one that so many drummers here would love to have. And what are you doing with it? Hemming and hawing. Oh poor me I don't feel like loading in and out. Get a roadie, you said the money is good. If you took the loading in and out, out of the equation, then what else is stopping you?

Conditioning? Are you playing blast beats and really heavy music all night? Is the music that demanding? Hey maybe it is, what do I know. If you really don't want to play live, just own it. But you are vascillating which tells me that some part of you wants to do this. You need to ask your self why. (Because you love drumming?) If you had no drums and no opportunities, would that suit you better? No, you'd be actively trying to get them back in your life, that's my guess. How fortunate you are to be in this position of opportunity. A little gratitude wouldn't hurt. Some soul searching too. Maybe you really don't want to do this, but are afraid to face it. Nothing wrong with making a decision and sticking to it. You need to weigh the upsides and downsides. But really you need to be true to your own heart. Going against that is unhealthy.

Maybe it's best for all concerned if you don't do it. The person offering this to you deserves someone who is hungry for it, not someone who may decide to throw them a bone. If you hear great stories from the guy they do get, will you be kicking yourself? If not let it go so they can find someone who wants it.

IDK to me, drumming for people who want to hear you is one of the best things in life. I can't relate to a blase attitude.

OK how was that for a motivational speech? Please don't take anything personal Mr. Flickster I'm just trying to get you mad. It's all good whatever you decide.

Shame on me? A little gratitude wouldn't hurt? Are you serious? I made my mind up in 99' when I came off the road to do nothing but studio work,and i've done a lot of it. I haven't played a live show since then and now I have some great offers to play live. I'm very grateful for the offers that I have! So to ME it's a big decision and not one to just jump at. That's why I came here for advice. Not to be accused of "Hemming and hawing or Oh poor me" Yes Conditioning! And yes it's Hard Rock/Metal. When I play I play hard and give it my all. So you think it's that easy to do session work now and then with out a lot of practice for 12 years and to just jump in and play a 40 song night?? It takes conditioning. Ask any pro drummer that hasn't been on the road or played full shows in a while what they do to get ready.
For the record. Tommy has auditioned many drummers and hasn't found one that he's happy with. I played on his album,he wants me. My situation also includes some cover bands that want me to play. That's where most of my Blah is coming from...

If you made up your mind in 99, why did you make this thread?

Because I wanted other drummers opinions on my situation. Other drummers that have been in the same situation as mine.

I find it interesting, the human condition. I only gig 2 to 3 one nighters a month. I love to play, but if i returned to gigging full time like I used to (6-7 days a week) my enthusiasim would probably waiver. It is human nature to desire what we do not possess.

It's also human nature to want more of what we like. Sort of like an addiction, I guess. I like playing drums, so I do it whenever I can, as long as it doesn't upset the balance with my life and family. I don't think 6 or 7 days a week as a steady diet would be to my liking these days, but I typically play 2-5 nights a week and that's fine. Days and some nights off gives me all the personal time I want.

Touring is a different matter, that's 5 nights a week plus a lot of travel. Even so, we still get our nights off. 6 or 7 days would be too destructive to the performances, not to mention our physical and mental well-being.

I guess what I'm saying is that balance is important. Playing too little may be frustrating, maybe not. But playing too much can be a real problem. Depends on the circumstances of course, but for players hauling gear daily or traveling in order to play 6 nights a week, I'm not surprised they get burned out, jaded, or just plain bitter. And obviously, as we get older, it becomes less comfortable hauling stuff around.

Players need balance, and a break. But it doesn't mean turning away from gigs altogether.

Bermuda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back