Too many choices.

incrementalg

Gold Member
I'm just about in a position to buy my first kit in years and the number of choices is staggering! I'm fortunate to live in an area where I'm able to see and play offerings from tons of manufacturers. So far I've played and really enjoyed the following...

Mapex Saturn (prior gen and IV)
Gretsch Renown
Gretsch New Classic
Gretsch Brooklyn
Ludwig Keystone
Tama Starclassic Performer b/b
Canopus Yaiba

With exception of the Brooklyns, you can see my price points are kinda mid range. All great drums and each great sounding in their own way. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, but so many great choices makes it hard! First world problems for sure.

What's the kit for?

What music are you playing with it?

What's your favourite colour?

It's really a great time to be a drummer. Even the entry level kits these days are miles above where they were when I started

I can't help make your choice, but I can recommend you visit The Drum Shop North Shore in Beverly, MA (I noticed you're in Boston). I'm not financially affiliated...just a very happy customer of theirs.

I've heard almost every kit you've listed, and they all sound great to my ears in different ways. The Mapex stuff is tremendous, and the Tama b/b is incredible too. These days it almost comes down to kit finish and hardware for me because I feel like every major brand has tones that I can work with. I'm picky about my snare and cymbals, but would be happy to roll with almost any branded kick/toms.

That said, occasionally I hear a kit that blows my mind. If you go to The Drum Shop North Shore, give a listen to the RBH kit Nate has. It's above and beyond!

Let's not forget Yamaha Live Oak Customs, great sounding drums.😄

What's the kit for?

What music are you playing with it?

What's your favourite colour?

It's strictly my own pleasure. It will live in the house and chances of never being gigged are about 95%.

I'll be playing mostly rock.

Favorit color is blue.

Pretty much limits my choices, right?

Let's not forget Yamaha Live Oak Customs, great sounding drums.😄

Drum Center in NH has a used 5 piece set in perfect condition for something like $999. I didn't play on them or think to check the oak offerings out. (except for the Keystones with their Oak/maple hybrid)

It's really a great time to be a drummer. Even the entry level kits these days are miles above where they were when I started

I can't help make your choice, but I can recommend you visit The Drum Shop North Shore in Beverly, MA (I noticed you're in Boston). I'm not financially affiliated...just a very happy customer of theirs.

I've heard almost every kit you've listed, and they all sound great to my ears in different ways. The Mapex stuff is tremendous, and the Tama b/b is incredible too. These days it almost comes down to kit finish and hardware for me because I feel like every major brand has tones that I can work with. I'm picky about my snare and cymbals, but would be happy to roll with almost any branded kick/toms.

That said, occasionally I hear a kit that blows my mind. If you go to The Drum Shop North Shore, give a listen to the RBH kit Nate has. It's above and beyond!

Thanks for the recommendation. I haven't been to their shop, but I plan to get there.

Initially, I was set on a Gretsch renown or New Classic, then I checked out the Saturns.

For now the Saturns and Renown are my favorites in terms of sound for the money. There are still some deals on the prior generation Renowns, but the Saturns offer more finish options and more expansion options.

I love the punchiness of the Keystones and Tamas. I love the openness of the Brooklyns.

Now I know why some of you guys/girls have multiple kits.

Bottom line, once you get into the $500 and up range for a four piece shell kit, you simply cannot buy a bad set anymore. None of the kits you've named will be disappointing. Head variation is the key to getting the sound you want out of any quality kit.

So, buy the color you like. It's just that simple.

GeeDeeEmm

I think the Brooklyn is marketed as a jazzy kinda kit?

Other than that they'll all do the job for someone that just wants to know they're buying quality. I think you just need to stare at them all for a while and work out which one gives you a boner.

I think the Brooklyn is marketed as a jazzy kinda kit?

Other than that they'll all do the job for someone that just wants to know they're buying quality. I think you just need to stare at them all for a while and work out which one gives you a boner.

You're absolutely right.

Here's a vote for planet Saturn.

Deeper, more satisfying tone, especially in a house.

Those are all excellent kits. I'd throw my vote in for either the Tama B/B or the Mapex Saturn. Both are some of my favourite kits.

Try all your choices, then try the manufacturers high end kits that interest you.
Start looking for a used kit in sizes and a finish you like. You can usually find a high end kit used for around what mid price kits sell for new. Why limit yourself to a mid price kit ( nothing wrong with mid price kits) , you will end up selling it one day for a more expensive kit when you can afford. It is just the nature of being a musician. :)
It is a great time to be a buyer these days, so many manufacturers that make great drums and many baby boomers are starting to sell off their collections.

I've got saturns, no regrets.

They're warmer than the birch bubinga, which would probably be my other choice of the drums listed.

Just make sure you factor into your budget new heads top and bottom on all drums. That can run to a couple of hundred right there.

If I was you (given that you don't intend to gig them or record them and its just for your pleasure) I would go for the cheapest of your favourites, get new heads all round and then treat yourself to a new cymbal, even if it is just a splash. Or perhaps a new throne or cymbal stand.

Any one of those kits are capable of sounding great. As Dre says though, some kits you just fall in love with the look of them.

I particularly like Yamahas lugs and tom mounts for example.

Back