Vintage Maple 1980s Fibes / Corder Drum Set - Improv (video)

SgtThump

Platinum Member
I have three sets and have been experimenting with tuning, changing heads, mic placement, etc... lately. I made a video of my Yamaha Live Custom set a few days ago and posted it on this forum. Now here's one of my 1980s Corder drumset. I'm told it has Jasper shells, but I haven't really tried to figure that out.

Curious what you think of the tone and stuff! :)

Chris

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QUiFrAPg9k

---

I'm feeling creative today and fired up the Fibes / Corder set. The bass drum has a coated Ambassador on the reso side with a felt strip and no port hole. It also has a coated PS3 on the batter side with no felt strip or other muffling.

Toms are 10" and 16" with coated Ambassadors. Resos are clear Ambassadors. All cymbals are Paiste Giant Beats - 15", 18", 20", 24".

AKG D112 on the bass drum reso side (unported) and two Sterling Audio ST51 overheads.

That kit sounds great! Do you have some pics of it?

Thanks man! I think there's something special about this kit. It always sounds fantastic!

Here are two pics of how she sits right now (same way as the video.)

Attachments

• 20131006_164502.jpg
    20131006_164502.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 410
  • 20131006_164534.jpg
    20131006_164534.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 376
I need to get another Fibes logo for the batter head. Here's what it looked like with the smooth white reso head I had on it before (with port hole and logo.)

Attachments

• 20130629_155331.jpg
    20130629_155331.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 418
Sounds awesome. I love your choice of kits. If you want it to really sing, try a Coated Amb on the *batter*, with felt strip. Raw open drum.

Sounds awesome. I love your choice of kits. If you want it to really sing, try a Coated Amb on the *batter*, with felt strip. Raw open drum.

I was considering a coated Ambassador or Emperor for the bass drum batter, but I had a new coated PS3 here to try first. I'll probably try those one of these days, though! I'm curious to see how the Ambassador/Emperor with felt strip compares to the PS3 with no strip.

Thanks man!

I was considering a coated Ambassador or Emperor for the bass drum batter, but I had a new coated PS3 here to try first. I'll probably try those one of these days, though! I'm curious to see how the Ambassador/Emperor with felt strip compares to the PS3 with no strip.

Thanks man!

if of interest, check this out for a comparison on a Tama 22 Superstar bass drum . PS3 first, then Amb. I prefer the Amb.

https://soundcloud.com/aftrglow/tama22-ps3-vs-amb2

Wow, I prefer the Ambassador in your clip too. Thanks for sharing that! What muffling are you using with the Ambassador batter?

Kinda sounds like the PS3 is tuned a bit higher too?

the standard felt strip, 2.5 inches wide. Ya the PS3 is a little higher I guess, but may also be that you lose the note quicker with that dampening ring.
I like the PS3, its an easy head to work with and tune, but this thick 9 ply birch bass drum needed more gusto for my liking.

the standard felt strip, 2.5 inches wide. Ya the PS3 is a little higher I guess, but may also be that you lose the note quicker with that dampening ring.
I like the PS3, its an easy head to work with and tune, but this thick 9 ply birch bass drum needed more gusto for my liking.

I can't seem to stop experimenting with heads, so you can bet your comments will make me try a coated Ambassador in the (probably near) future. :) Thanks for the advice and sound clips!

Back