Sorry, probably a very basic question

It's a quarter note rest.

Drum notation may vary, but in this case hi-hat and snare are written together(upwards facing staff) and the bass drum is notated separately(downward facing staff), so those rests mean that you don't play the bass drum on beats 2 & 4.

Thank you, I would never have understood that.

So, if this rest is telling you not to play on the 2 and 4, why, in the case of the example, would the notation just show the bass on the 1 and 3?

Thank you, I would never have understood that.

So, if this rest is telling you not to play on the 2 and 4, why, in the case of the example, would the notation just show the bass on the 1 and 3?

notations are written lots of different ways

a lot of times any note written below the center staff line will have the stem going down and be considered its own set of notes therefor it needs its own appropriate rests and flags placed accordingly

if the stems were up as they are sometimes connected to the rest of the groove these rests would not be necessary

That website is lame, get yourself some decent material. A good book or teacher will take you through all this stuff and you wont have to clog up message boards with questions.

That website is lame, get yourself some decent material. A good book or teacher will take you through all this stuff and you wont have to clog up message boards with questions.

Would be grateful if you could suggest some sites.

Thx

WEBSITES:

www.freedrumlessons.com - FREE. Run by Jared Falk and has a lot of good material for free.

www.mikeslessons.com - PAID. One of the most popular online drum instruction websites. Also, Mike Johnston is one of the nicest drummers you will ever know. I use his website constantly. He does have some free stuff, like Youtube videos and some on his site.

BOOKS:

Hands, Grooves and Fills by Pat Petrillo - I HIGHLY recommend this. It will teach you everything from sight reading to fills.

www.teman.com/drums/book2.htm - This website has a list of some of the most popular and classic drum instruction books in history. Check them out.

Thank you, I greatly appreciate these links, if I may, could I re-ask an earlier question concerning that first Rock chart:

If the quarter rest is telling you not to play on the 2 and 4, why, in the case of the example, would the notation just show the bass note on the 1 and 3?

Thank you

Thank you, I greatly appreciate these links, if I may, could I re-ask an earlier question concerning that first Rock chart:

If the quarter rest is telling you not to play on the 2 and 4, why, in the case of the example, would the notation just show the bass note on the 1 and 3?

Thank you

Basically it's telling you that when you count "One, Two, Three, Four" (which is a complete measure), you play the bass drum on one, rest on two, play on three and rest on four. Since the bass note is a quarter note, it is for the full count of one and three.

OK!

Thanks, I don't think I would have figured that out, but makes sense with your explanation.

Thanks for taking the time.

The technical term for it is "voices". Its distinct from instruments which can play more than one note at a time (polyphony), and things like piano which have 2 staves (one for each hand); or multiple instruments on the same stave. 1 instrument can have several voices, and some of those voices can play more than one note at a time.

Think about, as an example, pitched instruments.. A bass guitar's score could be presented as one voice, ie a normal bass line which might/might not be complicated or fast; and might contain double or triple stops eg chords (or 4 or more). But it could also be presented as 2 voices if use of open strings plus another line much higher up the fretboard were played at once - eg Dune Tune by Level 42.

Turning to non-pitched instruments, the bass drum may well be presented separately (and therefore include rests in its voice) as your example shows; but equally valid is to consider the entire drum kit as one 'voice' with many parts which can be played simultaneously eg hi hat, snare and bass drum all together.

There is no particular convention for when an instrument is split into different voices or remains as one, in notation often the most simple presentation might be written out, or it might be written with voices if other parts (eg in a group when other instruments are playing) lend themselves to the composition/presentation showing them. Or it might be because something is rewritten for another instrument, eg some piano music score is for pop tunes, where the piano is playing the main line which was once the bass guitar and some of the guitar parts, etc etc.

Back