...for the jazz cats ...

There you are!

I almost started a thread, "What ever happened to 'haredrums'?

Well, congratulations, Papa!!

Questions...let's see...too many to think of right now. I am curious what gear Mr. Riley is using these days; cymbals, heads, etc. Does he have a specific warmup?

In case you meant questions for you...do you have a favorite color M&M? Oh, what's the name of new little one?

Lol,

Thank you ! I do not have a favorite M&M, but my son's name is Rory.

In terms of questions, I meant concerning the masterclass if you can come.

Been listening to Miles Davis 1964 concert with Tony Williams on drums, about 10 times now(for inspiration). It's probably my fav. They way Tony plays at such a young age is unreal. Prob the best thing he ever recorded imo.

Been listening to Miles Davis 1964 concert with Tony Williams on drums, about 10 times now(for inspiration). It's probably my fav. They way Tony plays at such a young age is unreal. Prob the best thing he ever recorded imo.

some of my favorite stuff to listen to as well..

grab the Jackie McLean record One Step Beyond.

my absolute favorite playing by Tony.

it's from before he was with Miles.....he is like 17 on the record.....the drumming is bananas

check out his solo in the first song Saturday and Sunday........ groundbreaking for its time......so out of the box

his playing on that whole record is insane !!!!

still not touched to this very day

get it now!!!!....you will not be sorry I promise

here is a little taste

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlvAlQV6CqA

Yeah. More than almost any other album, that's the one that seems to turn people's heads around. It was an epiphany for me the first time I heard it.

Also, welcome to the ride cymbal sound almost every jazz drummer who has ever listened to that album covets. There are entire websites dedicated to cats who are trying to find a cymbal that sounds like that vintage Turkish K. The historical cats believe the same cymbal was used on Miles' Nefertiti. That's another killer recording.

In addition to One Step Beyond, check out Herbie Hancock's Maiden Voyage and Eric Dolphy's Out To Lunch.

For anyone who wants to know more about "Nica". There is a terrific book entitled "The
Baroness". Nica was the Great Aunt of the author, Hannah Rothschild. It is not only a look
into Nica's life but it is a rare glimpse into the the lives of the Rothschilds and their empire.
Hannah met with Nica on several occasions and also with family elders along with great jazz artists in researching this work. A great addition to any jazz library.

If anyone reading this is new to Nica, she came from great wealth and spent her life helping some of the greatest jazz musicians in NYC. She bought Art Blakey a car. Charlie Parker
died in her penthouse apartment etc. For me, this book was hard to put down.

For anyone who wants to know more about "Nica". There is a terrific book entitled "The
Baroness". Nica was the Great Aunt of the author, Hannah Rothschild. It is not only a look
into Nica's life but it is a rare glimpse into the the lives of the Rothschilds and their empire.
Hannah met with Nica on several occasions and also with family elders along with great jazz artists in researching this work. A great addition to any jazz library.

If anyone reading this is new to Nica, she came from great wealth and spent her life helping some of the greatest jazz musicians in NYC. She bought Art Blakey a car. Charlie Parker
died in her penthouse apartment etc. For me, this book was hard to put down.

I will definitely be reading this

the Monk song Pannonica was written for the Baroness ...among many other tunes by many jazz artists

she also appears in the movie Straight No Chaser

you can't write the history of jazz music without mentioning her multiple times

Speaking of Nica, we have a living version of her right here in Detroit. This is from a few years ago but tells the story of what she's done for the local jazz scene quite well: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20090328/SPECIAL02/903280340

I understand a documentary about her is in the works.

It's incredible how much a select few people can do to make the world a better place.

Here's some songs written for or inspired by Nica:
Blues for Nica - Kenny Drew
Bolivar Blues - Thelonious Monk
Cats in My Belfry - Barry Harris
Coming on the Hudson - Thelonious Monk
Inca - Barry Harris
Little Butterfly - Thelonious Monk and John Hendricks
Nica - Sonny Clark
Nica's Day - Wayne Horvitz
Nica's Dream - Horace Silver
Nica's Dream (Dee Dee Bridgewater added lyrics)
Nica Steps Out - Freddie Redd
Pannonica - Donald Byrd
Pannonica - Doug Watkins
Pannonica - Thelonious Monk
Poor Butterfly - Sonny Rollins
Thelonica - Tommy Flanagan
Theme for Nica - Eddie Thompson
Tonica - Kenny Dorham
Weehawken Mad Pad - Art Blakey

It is truly an amazing read about an amazing time in the world and in music.

Very cool that Detroit has a living version of Nica!!! Five Stars for Her ***** nice article!

Here's some songs written for or inspired by Nica:
Blues for Nica - Kenny Drew
Bolivar Blues - Thelonious Monk
Cats in My Belfry - Barry Harris
Coming on the Hudson - Thelonious Monk
Inca - Barry Harris
Little Butterfly - Thelonious Monk and John Hendricks
Nica - Sonny Clark
Nica's Day - Wayne Horvitz
Nica's Dream - Horace Silver
Nica's Dream (Dee Dee Bridgewater added lyrics)
Nica Steps Out - Freddie Redd
Pannonica - Donald Byrd
Pannonica - Doug Watkins
Pannonica - Thelonious Monk
Poor Butterfly - Sonny Rollins
Thelonica - Tommy Flanagan
Theme for Nica - Eddie Thompson
Tonica - Kenny Dorham
Weehawken Mad Pad - Art Blakey

It is truly an amazing read about an amazing time in the world and in music.

Very cool that Detroit has a living version of Nica!!! Five Stars for Her ***** nice article!

Poor Butterfly wasn't written for Nica. That song goes way back to the twenties I think. And all those Pannonicas on your list are the same song, just played by different guys. And Little Butterfly is Pannonica too, but with lyrics.

Other than that, good list.

Maybe it's in the "written for or inspired by Nica" that makes the difference.
Pannonica is a type of moth that her father loved and butterflies are a type of moth. Possibly
Sonny Rollins version was with a nod to Nica (inspired by Nica) and connected by the title
"Poor Butterfly". Sonny Rollins was one of the many great jazz musicians she interviewed
for the book.

I would guess that the same holds for the various versions of Pannonica. (I haven't heard them all so didn't know if they were completely different songs or not....but if not, then they
must have been inspired by Nica and hence the credit in the book.)

Mulgrew's passing is really sad. I only got to meet him/jam with him briefly, but he was a really nice guy. I was visiting William Paterson, where I am going next year, to check out the school again to see if I liked it. I asked to sit in, and without hesitation he let me. He was an amazing player and a great guy and he will be missed. It will definitely be difficult to fill the void he left at Willy P and in the music world.

So I took my daughter to see Dave Holland and Kenny Barron at the Detroit Symphony Orchestra Hall last Friday night. It was a sublime duet performance by two masters. They dedicated the night's performance to Mulgrew and spoke about what a beautiful cat he was.

Kenny Barron is a favorite, but I have never had the chance to see Dave Holland live before. I've had a couple near-misses, including a couple years ago at the Detroit Jazz Festival. Dave gave an interview and answered questions the day he was supposed to perform, but a thunderstorm later that evening sent (most of) us scurrying to our cars and home for the night before Dave's band could perform.

Well, the next day, I read in the paper that the local hotel agreed to have Dave's band play in the house bar. Just an impromptu decision so Dave's show could go on despite the weather. And by all accounts, it was fantastic. An inspired performance that critics said was the highlight of the festival. And I friggin' missed it.

Well, I finally got to watch the master at work. Dave Holland is ridiculous. Just insanely good. And he's a perfect pairing for Kenny Barron. Both, you can tell, deeply respect each other. The musical chemistry was magnificent, and the acoustics of that fine venue provided a great mix. No subtlety was lost.

They did some of their originals, as well as classics by composers like Bird and Miles. The audience loved them and gave them their propers.

If you have the chance to see these two, do not miss it!

Mulgrew's passing is really sad. I only got to meet him/jam with him briefly, but he was a really nice guy. I was visiting William Paterson, where I am going next year, to check out the school again to see if I liked it. I asked to sit in, and without hesitation he let me. He was an amazing player and a great guy and he will be missed. It will definitely be difficult to fill the void he left at Willy P and in the music world.

What a great experience to have. Very cool.

Kenny Barron and Dave Holland....lucky you! I have never seen either live but love everything I have ever heard recorded by either or both. (a great opportunity to provide a mental drum part too). As much as I love drums, I really do love piano/bass duos. I caught Chip Stephens
with Larry Gray recently.

Back