The Seven Nation Army CHALLENGE!

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
In the Meg White discussion we somehow stumbled on the idea of getting a drumless version of the White Stripes's Seven Nation Army and coming up with alternative approaches to the song.

Here is the original: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j7huh5Egew

Do you think you could improve on Meg's line? It's easy to play the song with more complexity, but can you play it with greater effectiveness?

Here is the drumless version of the song, ready for your masterwork to be overlaid on it!

PS. This thread was needed because, as Thaard said, we were cluttering up Meg's thread with all this. I believe he is planning to play a metal/reggae version in 13/8 that resolves every 42 bars hehehe

PS. This thread was needed because, as Thaard said, we were cluttering up Meg's thread with all this. I believe he is planning to play a metal/reggae version in 13/8 that resolves every 42 bars hehehe
I'm making multiple versions! Let the challenge begin!

I can't wait to hear this! If I had the technology (and a set at my house) I would come up with something.

Good Luck!

This should be sticked, put on the main page, and have a prize of some kind offered.

DW has some connections, maybe we can get it Meg White endorsed!

She would have to put her official stamp on every single application. I can hear her in the other room now...

"Thump! Thump! Thump! Thump! Thump! Thump! Thump! Thump!...."

The Hardest button to button! Haha

Could do with some fast 32nd note double bass in there along with some mega blast beats =P not really just would be funny.

I would love to participate but I just don't have the recording equipment.

Aww, no vocals on the track? That's disappointing.

I am completely up to this. Don't think I've ever been excited about doing a cover of anything, ever, up until now.

Is there a rule that we have to post videos or sound files?

Aww, no vocals on the track? That's disappointing.

I am completely up to this. Don't think I've ever been excited about doing a cover of anything, ever, up until now.

Is there a rule that we have to post videos or sound files?

The easies would be just sound-files, since not everyone has a cam.

I'll get mine up this weekend, I can't record until then. I'm excited to see/hear everyone elses!

does it matter what we do with it? i guess i'll post something sometime next week.. placeholder.

How long is this going to be going on for? Because I probably won't have a chance to record it until the weekend after! Whoever came up with this I have to admit sounds like a fun idea! :D

I see where this is going, we are seeing the connection between music and the other arts. Minimalism is a visual art, and I guess it could apply to music. This challenge is like asking Dali how he would have painted Mona Lisa.

Think of the musical form of abstract art as something like free jazz or ambience.

Personally I think that drumming should complement the rest of the music (rather than hanging at the extremes of just being a metronome or just going nuts and taking over), so this means that every note has significance, that means that there is to me such thing as too little or too much...

...but don't most of us...?

...the real debate is how much is enough...

BTW I wondered to myself...what would be Meg White's approach to Ytse Jam?

krayziemex99, it goes as long as people remain interested - maybe longer!

I can't play drums at home so I'm getting parts together with Reason - nowhere near as much fun :( They must have recorded with a click because on initial inspection it seems to be an even 120bpm all the way.

Yes, BD, there is a definite challenge in being able to construct a part that will be more effective than Meg's (wish we had vocs so it could be a level playing field). The other point of it side is, as Kray said, fun :)

I want to do this.

I'll see if there is anyway that I can.

I don't know the White Stripes music at all, but it would see to me that it would take a lot more than vocals to improve this song. This is absolutely the most boring guitar/bass parts I have ever heard. I'm going to try and dub Bolero over the guitars.

please grunters go to youtube and watch it jack whites vocals completely change the dynamics better yet a live version they are one of the best live bands

I don't know the White Stripes music at all, but it would see to me that it would take a lot more than vocals to improve this song. This is absolutely the most boring guitar/bass parts I have ever heard. I'm going to try and dub Bolero over the guitars.

If you listen to the real tune, you'd likely find it just as boring. ;)

When this was popular on the radio it would make me insane...400x per day "thump, thump, thump, thump" and that monotonous bass-line. It's easy to get tired of...but a fun one to play if you hook up w/ new people and need a simple tune to get started.

When this was popular on the radio it would make me insane...400x per day "thump, thump, thump, thump" and that monotonous bass-line. It's easy to get tired of...

Oh and insane is merely how I felt in those days... Rare were the people who felt the pain like me - everybody else would love it and I felt I needed crazy pills lol!

That being said, I would still like to hear how everybody goes at with this one, it could be fun : )

If you listen to the real tune, you'd likely find it just as boring. ;)

When this was popular on the radio it would make me insane...400x per day "thump, thump, thump, thump" and that monotonous bass-line. .

Which is why I don't listen to the radio much anymore. I don't get the appeal of them at all.

Back