is Aquarian's coating just stiff? (help with Response 2 needed)

Hi,

I've gotten into Aquarian heads. I think they make some great stuff.

I was playing the (1ply) Texture Coated heads. But it was a bit too open and has more overtones than I would like.

I've tried a clear Response 2 and it works fine. But I like the warmth of a coated head better. So today I got a coated Response 2. Right now it seems very stiff or something. If I play on it will it loosen up and bring out a little more tone?

Or do I need to try another head?

Super 2 coated? Jack DeJohnette?

I'm playing a Sonor S Classix. That's 9 ply Birch. (Is it 9? I can't remember now but thats the number thats coming to mind)

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

SonorPlayer

Congrats for choosing the Right company !!

You already answered your own question but still, the answer is YES ;-)

Hi,

So today I got a coated Response 2. Right now it seems very stiff or something. If I play on it will it loosen up and bring out a little more tone?

so you don't think I need to go for Super 2? Just play it and the tone will open up a bit. Hope so they seem like a really nice head. And you can feel how well made they are.

Also, they have the best coating around. I've been banging on the 1ply for a few months now and not one chip or anything. Looks like i put it on yesterday.

Thanks,

SonorPlayer

so you don't think I need to go for Super 2? Just play it and the tone will open up a bit. Hope so they seem like a really nice head. And you can feel how well made they are.

Also, they have the best coating around. I've been banging on the 1ply for a few months now and not one chip or anything. Looks like i put it on yesterday.

Thanks,

SonorPlayer

You're quite a new Aquarian user right ?

I'm saying it because you'll eventually notice that every Aquarian drumheads needs some times and some playing over to show their real tone color. You will also discover how tough is the coating, how long they can retain tuning and how long you can play them without replacing them.

BTW, I found that if you want to get a good tone quicker with Response II, you have to tune them little bit higher than normally and in couple of days you'll say "WOW"...

I have to agree with mind_drummer here. I've been using the Aquarian modern vintage heads on my Gretsch kit and love them. It won't take long for the heads to open up and they will last. I love they way they sound and have tuned the same heads both high and low. It took about a year to wear out the coated on the modern vintage thin I had on my snare batter. I put on a modern vintage medium to replace months ago and it still looks new.

Yeah, I've only been playing them since about March. So very new to Aquarian heads.

I did find even with the 1ply that it took a week or so of playing and then it came alive. And I've already seen how well the coating stands up to any style of playing - doesn't matter how hard you hit those heads...that coating just isn't coming off.

I was wondering (like you say) if I should tune them higher to help open them up. I'll give that a try.

Thanks for the help.

SonorPlayer

You're quite a new Aquarian user right ?

I'm saying it because you'll eventually notice that every Aquarian drumheads needs some times and some playing over to show their real tone color. You will also discover how tough is the coating, how long they can retain tuning and how long you can play them without replacing them.

BTW, I found that if you want to get a good tone quicker with Response II, you have to tune them little bit higher than normally and in couple of days you'll say "WOW"...

I only play Aquarian heads too; Response 2 on all my toms too. MD is right...you may find that you have to tune the heads a little higher than you would think, but man they sound awesome. I use larger toms, 13" and 16", and I like the sound I get from them tuned a little higher anyway. Big boom...
Anyway, play on them for a couple days and fine tune them a little. You will most definitely get a great sound out of them.
However, there is a slight...very slight...chance the coating may be bad. About a year ago I had a 16'' head crack right down the middle of the coating. This basically happened when I was tuning it up. I called Aquarian (THE BEST customer service, by the way) and got a free replacement, no questions asked. I've never had this happen with any other head, so I'm sure it was a just a freak thing. Probably manufactured on a Monday or Friday...
Oh yeah...Congrats on choosing Aquarian.

once the head opens up how will it sound next to say a G2? I like G2s too, but I'm not using them because i've heard that they can die quickly. Would the response 2 be nicer than the g2? (nicer meaning warmer tones)

and i'm assuming it's a given that they sound way better than coated emperors. they've always sounded...i don't know...a bit flat or something.

sonorplayer

once the head opens up how will it sound next to say a G2? I like G2s too, but I'm not using them because i've heard that they can die quickly. Would the response 2 be nicer than the g2? (nicer meaning warmer tones)

and i'm assuming it's a given that they sound way better than coated emperors. they've always sounded...i don't know...a bit flat or something.

sonorplayer

I have limited experience with the G2s. Nice heads though; better than Emporers for me.
You could say the Response 2s are warmer than G2s. I think most Aquarians are inherently warmer than their other brands' counterparts...probably due to their coating. They last forever too...I've had my current coated Response 2s on for about 9 months and they still sound and look great.

Back