Evans heads a journey for the perfect sound

AirborneSFC

Gold Member
Hey guys I thought I would start a thread to document my journey for the perfect sound. I recently (within the last couple years or so) got really back into playing live and gigging. I had purchased an E kit to get the chops back up after a longer than necessary break (left the Army, had to find a job and so on).

My first acoustic kit after many years was a PDP Maple shelled kit. I started with stock heads but quickly replaced them. I decided on coated Remo Emps over stock heads.

Eventually I replaced all my heads on that kit with Evans heads after listening to countless videos, recordings and so on.

For my snare I used a Genera snare head over hazy 200. Sensitivity and sound were great.
I opted for G2 clears for all toms and sound also great.

After selling my old kit I moved up to a pro level kit and now I got ten times more particular about sound. Currently I am trying to find the right sound for my Prolites (thin maple shelled kit) and have tried a few:

Toms:

G1 coated over Stock (clear ambassadors) warm sound but a bit too controlled for my taste with coated - likely good for recording

G2 coated over Stock (clear ambassadors) warm darker sound and I prefer this over the coated G1's. I think also a much more durable head and would also record well.

Bass:

Emad clear batter with stock reso (ported 3.5" dia.)

I just ordered G2 Clears, EC2 SST clear and G1 clears (for reso side) and I will keep everyone posted.

First up will be the tried and true G2 clear over G1 clear. Sure I am spending good money on heads but then again my drums cost me 3k Euro.

What I hope is that this might help other Prolite, possibly DW or other drummers with maple shelled kits also. To organize things and make more sense I am going to create a spreadsheet.

I too play a fairly thin shelled maple kit (soon to be replaced), & that kit has seen lots of gigs. After a fair amount of experimentation, I came back to G2 over G1 clears. Just as in the drums themselves, I think you get used to teasing your sound palate out of a certain head combo, & these do it for me, every time.

Looking forward to your findings :)

I too play a fairly thin shelled maple kit (soon to be replaced), & that kit has seen lots of gigs. After a fair amount of experimentation, I came back to G2 over G1 clears. Just as in the drums themselves, I think you get used to teasing your sound palate out of a certain head combo, & these do it for me, every time.

Looking forward to your findings :)

Thanks I will keep you posted. Also FWIW I am in the market for a new snare. I was going to buy the Benny Grebb Sonor snare but I think you might know of a company that makes some nice snares. Shipping from the UK to Germany shouldn't be bad right!

Great post!
I'm waiting for my Gretsch Catalina mahogny kit that will arrive any day now.
I am thinking of putting Evans G2 Coated over stock reso heads. I like the fat sound they produce. Not sure why they are so expensive though? For instance, coated ambassador coast like 30% less.

Great post!
I am thinking of putting Evans G2 Coated over stock reso heads. I like the fat sound they produce. Not sure why they are so expensive though? For instance, coated ambassador coast like 30% less.

G2 is a 2 ply head and the Ambassador is a single ply, the Emperor is the 2 ply equivalent The response 2 is the Aquarian equivalent and will last twice as long as either plus the coating is much more durable and they are cheaper in price as well.

FWIW I am now using G14's on my toms and love them. Fat, low, and durable. Like me. lol

FWIW I am now using G14's on my toms and love them. Fat, low, and durable. Like me. lol

Nice I will give those a try!

Yesterday I had a practice session with the band. After hours of tuning and moving all over the range with them I got them where I wanted. I somewhat was just frustrated by then and so I didnt care much. Heck even one of my singers thought I was nuts as I was sitting there tapping away near the lugs.

Well we went into our set and wow! The toms were just singing; I could really tell the difference in the maple shells. This was with coated G2's over stock heads (10mil clear ambassadors).

My band mates might think I am crazy but I think first you should get your drums sounding good before anything else. Sure we have an awesome sound guy and all but still I think the fundamental sound should be right on.

Ok so when I find sometime (aka my newborn is not driving my wife crazy) I am going to start changing things up. I did put a Genera snare head on my BG snare.

Got a gig Friday so I might throw on the Clear G2's and G1's....if I have time.

In other news I now I have an excuse to see Yo Gabba Gabba Live....again. The Aquabats Super Show is pretty rad also.

Attachments

• evans_heads.jpg
    evans_heads.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 914
Great post!

Not sure why....I just use them! I agree though that coated G2's do give you a fat sound. Honestly I was very surprised when I started rehearsing with the band and they all noticed the difference with coated G2's. I honestly might leave them on for my gig Friday.

So I received all of my heads in the post today, so will be tuning tonight when I get home. I've got Evans G2 Coated for batters and G1 clear for reso's. I'm quite new to this though, so is the general consensus that I tune them both to the same tightness (finger turning tight) and then go from there or is there a more recommended way of doing this? I'm looking for a more 'thuddy fat' sound from my toms (12" & 14") if this helps at all.

So I received all of my heads in the post today, so will be tuning tonight when I get home. I've got Evans G2 Coated for batters and G1 clear for reso's. I'm quite new to this though, so is the general consensus that I tune them both to the same tightness (finger turning tight) and then go from there or is there a more recommended way of doing this? I'm looking for a more 'thuddy fat' sound from my toms (12" & 14") if this helps at all.

Good morning! Normally a good starting point is both heads equal tension. For me I usually tune my reso head slightly higher tension than batter.

I promise I am still working on this; I just got in a lot of new hardware to reconfigure my kit. Once I am done I will work again on heads and tuning.

Cheers, that's what seems to be the thought line in threads similar to this. I'll post my feedback when I get to tuning later, it may be of some help to someone else like me starting out there in the world of tuning.

Quite excited now!

Yes and I think it can save money when you have input of others looking for that "sound".

BTW many years ago I was in the UK training the with the Parachute Regiment. Let me tell you I have the highest respect for the Para's. I had such a great time in the UK and getting to train with and earn my British Army parachute wings was something I am still very proud of.

That's good to hear, I have an old friend who moved here from New Zealand to join the Para's so they must do something right!

Whereabouts did you train?

Has anyone tried coated G plus over G1's ? Im using the G2 over G1 combo right now and was considering a change but before I plunk down any moolah, I would like to know what you guys think.

IMHO, the bottom/resonant head on tom is nearly as important as the top/batter heads. On my Gretsch toms I have clear G2 over EC Resonant, and they sound amazing. I really want to try the new G14 batter heads. Good luck.

Has anyone tried coated G plus over G1's ? Im using the G2 over G1 combo right now and was considering a change but before I plunk down any moolah, I would like to know what you guys think.

Yes I have...I'm now using Gplus coated over G1 clears...amazing sound IMO...prior to using the Gplus I was using EC2 SST clears on top..they sounded good as well...but the Gplus just have more resonance to them (warmer too)..and the floor toms (mounted) sound like thunder with them...LOL..

First off - I really like your title, a journey for the perfect sound...Which I think is an infinite subject to achieve the perfect sound.

Anyway, my own personal experience with Stock, Evans G1 clear, Evans G1 coated, Aquarian snare side, Remo Ambassador heads. Led me onto this and I actually enjoy the sound:

1. Remo Ambassador (Smooth White): on the snare, batter & resonant sides. It gives a bright tone, long sustain.

2. Remo Ambassador (Smooth White): on the high tom & floor tom, batter sides.

3. Evans G1 (Clear): on the high tom, resonant side.

4. Evans G1 (Coated): on the floor tom, resonant side.

Cheers!

That's good to hear, I have an old friend who moved here from New Zealand to join the Para's so they must do something right!

Whereabouts did you train?

Let's see if I can get this correct:

We started out in the Connaught Barracks in Dover. Then it was off to Aldershot Garrison. Then off to some RAF Base where they train the Para's. I thought it was great that the RAF conducted the training. For us grunts it meant better chow and living quarters. Then it was a long field problem in Army Training Estate Salisbury Plain.

Besides that we also spent time in London, downtown Dover, visited parts of Oxford and honestly many other places I dont recall except for the pubs. I do recall that as a younger American I had the cool accent whenever I talked to the girls in the pubs. Also everyone could drink us under the table.

Back on topic....I will be trying some new head combo's on my 12" tom and keeping everyone posted. A lot easier to change one tom (the one I think the hardest to tune) to get an idea of the sound.

Keep in mind my sound is all relative to where I am in my practice room and with the wonderful Bavarian weather.

Back