Chicago Transit Authority -- Chicago Transit Authority
The Power Station -- The Power Station
Blind Faith -- Blind Faith
Isolation -- Toto
The Best of The Buddy Rich Big Band -- Buddy Rich
Songs From The Big Chair -- Tears For Fears

that's not to bad to start.

Cant give a definitive number 1 either, but I can narrow it down to a few:

-The Who's Live at Leeds album, one of if not the best live performance ever IMO
-Exile on Main st. and Sticky Fingers by the Stones
- Led Zep I-III
-Darkside of the Moon

I could list albums all day but I can safely say those are at the top for me.

#1 THE BEATLES - ABBEY ROAD

Others:
The Beatles - Sgt Pepper's lonely hearts club band, White Album.
Led Zeppelin - I, IV (untitled), In through the out door
Pink Floyd - Division Bell, Darkside of the moon
The Who - Tommy
Dream Theater - Scenes from a memory, Black clouds and silver linnings, A dramatic turn of events
Tool - 10 000 Days, Lateralus
Ayreon - The Human Equation, 01011001
X Japan - Blue blood, Art of life, Dahlia
Darkwater - Calling the earth to witness, Where stories end
Hugh Laurie - Let them talk

Dont really have one...but I orbit around several...and many not directly from the 'album'.

Vince Guaraldi
Merry Christmas Charlie Brown
I remember being transfixed when this would come on around the holidays...and no one seeming to get that it was about the music.
Mr. Rogers Neighborhood did the same to me.

Journey
Infinity
The utter consonance of Ansley and Steve's eye opening minor-key-esque melismatic runs.

Kansas
Leftoverature
I was neither bored nor irritated by a lack of melody...and emotion was clearly conveyed.

Marillion
Misplaced Childhood
I truly felt cohesion between the musicians outside of simplicity/banality.

Damien Rice
O
its not just about the drumming....

Katatonia
Great Cold Distance
uhhh...where did that come from?

Tool
everything after and including some of Undertow
Wow..a thought in music...who'd a thunk it.

Patsy Cline
forgot the album - had Crazy on it...listened to it alot as a kid
What expression!!

Yes
Sucessful pop dosent have to be moronic

Toto
Hydra
Smooth and interesting

Rush
uh...take your pick...after Neil joined...up through Signals...and maybe Test for Echo
I was not being spoken down to..how it felt listening to the popular pandering drivel trying to get at my $ without offering substance.

Mad at Gravity
Resonance
Great writing...though the drumming left me a bit flat...Think I like the acoustic versions better.

Toy Matinee
Toy Matinee
Song writing unlimited by a desire to play the industry game...and surpassing those that do with ease and grace.

sure Im missing some...Peter Gabriel...Sting...Pink Floyd...Styx...on and on...

Last edited:
Tom Waits - Nighthawks at the Diner

I've never known much Tom Waits. I used to have Heart Attack and Vine - awesome title track - but that's as far as it went. Just checked out this from NATD - love it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3-pTLDP0K4

Yep, that's it (a good track anyway)... Rather different from the other Waits albums... But still my very favorite since my early 20's. So much atmosphere, musical restraint, brilliant satirical philosophizing. Some might disagree, but I also find the drumming to be mighty fine. It's nowhere it shouldn't be, and subtly everywhere it needs to be.

This track still gives me chills: http://youtu.be/o8rsq6lYrwU

Your choice is right up there with me as well however as far as the chills part goes i would have to say Selling England by the Pound by genisis, particularly the song Cinema Show. i was and still am intrigued by Phil Collins Drumming on that song and really like the keyboard and guitar parts as well. It never gets old.

Wow - so many great albums already mentioned, so I'll add one that is different. This album came out when I was only 15 years old, and I fell in love with the band and the album, playing it until it was destroyed on the record player:

Boston - Boston

Side one
1. "More Than a Feeling" 4:44 (rock anthem)
2. "Peace of Mind" 5:02
3. "Foreplay/Long Time" 7:47 (keyboard masterpiece with great song structure)

Side two
1. "Rock and Roll Band" 2:59 (a classic rock story)
2. "Smokin'" 4:22 (incredible groove and organ)
3. "Hitch a Ride" 4:12 (awesome dueling guitars)
4. "Something About You" 3:48
5. "Let Me Take You Home Tonight"

Brad Delp and Tom Scholtz are very underrated and rarely get mentioned in the "best of" polls.

The only thing that could make it better is if the spaceship on the album cover was made of drums instead of a guitar. :)

Katatonia
Great Cold Distance
uhhh...where did that come from?

Rush
uh...take your pick...after Neil joined...up through Signals...and maybe Test for Echo
I was not being spoken down to..how it felt listening to the popular pandering drivel trying to get at my $ without offering substance.

That is a great Katatonia album... I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say "all time favorite", but yea I love that one.

And I'm not sure how I forgot "Signals" in my original list, but yea... I love that one too.

I would also consider "The Bedlam in Goliath" (Mars Volta... or maybe Deloused... or maybe Octahedron), and "Fear of a Blank Planet" (Porcupine Tree) as being pretty far up in my list.

Wow - so many great albums already mentioned, so I'll add one that is different. This album came out when I was only 15 years old, and I fell in love with the band and the album, playing it until it was destroyed on the record player:

Boston - Boston

Side one

Side two

Brad Delp and Tom Scholtz are very underrated and rarely get mentioned in the "best of" polls.

The only thing that could make it better is if the spaceship on the album cover was made of drums instead of a guitar. :)

Yeah this album grabs you by the neck and never lets you go until the end. Pretty much a classic, every song. Not sure if Boston and Kansas is/was an American thing or not. Seems like they are huge in the States... 1976 was a great year. Boston's first, and Kansas' Leftoverture. Two of the best.

Boston - Boston

Side one

Side two

An amazing album. Still holds up. Though I don't think Delp is underrated -- he's pretty much considered to have one of the greatest rock and roll voices.

Some trivia -- that album was rejected by over a dozen record labels. (They said is was too out of date).

After receiving money as an advance to re-record, Sholtz just re-mixed in his home studio,

A lot of people don't realize that album was performed by only 3 guys -- Delp did all the vocals, Sholtz did all the guitars and bass. (THAT is where he's underrated. His bass playing is fantastic!) And drums -- though a session drummer plays on "Rock and Roll band."

After receiving money as an advance to re-record, Sholtz just re-mixed in his home studio,

"

IIRC the record label wanted Scholtz to record in LA, but he ended up doing minimal recording there - just enough to fool them, and then he recorded/mixed everything in his Boston basement studio. Sometimes I think Scholtz was too much of a perfectionist for his own good. Between that and a flood in his studio, it seemed like an eternity waiting for the sequel album, and then he got into litigation with the record label and other bandmembers, and everything went downhill from there.

Too many to name....

"Lateralus" - Tool
"Rattle & Hum" - U2
"Brain Salad Surgery" - ELP
"Moving Pictures" - RUSH
"I" to "Houses" - Led Zeppelin
"Era Vulgaris" - Queens of the Stone Age
"Them Crooked Vultures" - Them Crooked Vultures
"Blast Tyrant" - Clutch
"Ten" - Pearl Jam
"Sea of Cowards" - The Dead Weather

"Blast Tyrant" - Clutch

sooooo pumped to see this album get some love

fantastic record......it was the return of Clutch to me

from "Mercury" to "WYSIWYG"....perfect rock record just bursting with energy, tension and release

Robot Hive/Exodus is also amazing

No way I can pick one : p....All of my favorites are up there for good reason, it would seem wrong to choose just one.

I also have too many "favourite" albums, but the ones that come to mind as giving me shivers when I first heard them, and still do:

Physical Graffiti
Trilogy (ELP)
"Golden Age of The Dance Bands" (My mother bought it when I was 8 years old!)

All Time Id have to say would be either Dream Theaters "Images and Words", or Dream Theaters "Metropolis Part. 2."

Non- DT would be Audio Adrenalines "Bloom."

And as a rock classic that would be either Ozzys "Bark at the moon," or AC/DC- "Back in Black"

"Blood Sugar" and "Mothers Milk" for drumming. love Chad Smith!

But ALLTIME WITH NO TIE!!!!!!!!........................Dream Theater- Images and Words.

Back