Stuido Kans - Anyone tried em'?

Re: Studio Kans - Anyone tried em'?

That's mainly the problem with high isolation type headphones. To get the degree of isolation, they usually are fitted tightly over or around the ears. They might not feel too uncomfortable at first, but it's just a matter of time. I've never seen the "Kans" before. There are several things I like about them, such as using Koss transducers, being liquid filled, having a replaceable cable and they look as if they would be light on the head, but I could do without the on/off switch and volume control. They're just two more things that can cause headphones to become intermittent over a period of time. The only other thing that bothers me a bit is that they do not state anything concerning the electrical characteristics of the product. I guess I could look that up on the manufacturers website, if they have one.

Dennis

That's mainly the problem with high isolation type headphones. To get the degree of isolation, they usually are fitted tightly over or around the ears. They might not feel too uncomfortable at first, but it's just a matter of time. I've never seen the "Kans" before. There are several things I like about them, such as using Koss transducers, being liquid filled, having a replaceable cable and they look as if they would be light on the head, but I could do without the on/off switch and volume control. They're just two more things that can cause headphones to become intermittent over a period of time. The only other thing that bothers me a bit is that they do not state anything concerning the electrical characteristics of the product. I guess I could look that up on the manufacturers website, if they have one.

Dennis
Pretty much my thoughts exactly regarding the cable and cushions. I'm thinking I may just have to take the plunge on these and hope for the best. They certainly look a fair bit more comfy than the Firths.

What is your take on these bad boys? http://www.interstatemusic.com/210718-Pearl-Precision-Drum-Monitor-PDM250.aspx

Pretty much my thoughts exactly regarding the cable and cushions. I'm thinking I may just have to take the plunge on these and hope for the best. They certainly look a fair bit more comfy than the Firths.

What is your take on these bad boys? http://www.interstatemusic.com/210718-Pearl-Precision-Drum-Monitor-PDM250.aspx

They're almost identical to the Beyer DT770 headphones that I own. Maybe they are the same except for Pearls logo on the cups. They're great for listening to music because of their extended and exaggerated bass frequency response, which many people love, but as for accurate monitoring, they'll lie to you and get you into trouble with an anemic low frequency mix, if that's your intended reason for buying them. They also are fairly limited when it comes to ambient outside noise reduction because of the cloth ear piece material and the way they fit around the ear. They are light weight and comfortable though. Mine hardly gets used.

I would be interested on what you think of the Studio Kans when you get them.

Dennis

That's mainly the problem with high isolation type headphones. To get the degree of isolation, they usually are fitted tightly over or around the ears. They might not feel too uncomfortable at first, but it's just a matter of time.
Dennis

I agree, I started wearing a Shure in ear monitor and will never go back to headphones, they are cleaner sounding and have better isolation.

I agree, I started wearing a Shure in ear monitor and will never go back to headphones, they are cleaner sounding and have better isolation.

Hmm. How's the frequency response on those though (in terms of dB reduction)? I often find that any sort of over-ear device preserves MUCH more of the high end than in-ears.

http://www.rmcaudiodirect.com/Shure-SRH840-Pro-Studio-Headphones-p/srh840.htm

I got these and love them

Specifically this model: http://www.interstatemusic.com/23291-Metrophones-SK-Studio-Kans-Stereo-Isolation-Headphones-w-o-Metronome-SK.aspx

I'm looking for some good iso phones to use with my metronome/ipod for practice. I tried the Vic Firths at a friend's, but after about 20 minutes they became so wearisome pressing on my ears I had to take them off.

Thanks folks!

The problem with Studio Kans is quite simple. The ear pads are filled with liquid saline solution. The break, pop, rupture without any fault of your own. I've had a set for a year now and have already gone though 3 pairs of replacement ear pads @ $20/pair. Its definitely not fun having your ear fill up with saline while you're playing. I would not recommend them to anyone.

Oh, and the quality of the speaker in the headphones leaves a lot to be desired. They do not get loud enough in my opinion and the range they put out is so-so.

My $0.02

Back