Mapex Saturn V Configurations

Hi,

I was looking to upgrade my old Catalina Ash drum kit to a Mapex Saturn V. Between the 2 configurations:
Fusion (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mapex-Satu...182310793820?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10)
20"X16" Bass
10"x7" Tom
12"X8" Tom
14"X14" Floor Tom

Rock (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mapex-Satu...011282&hash=item5204014b53:g:yl8AAOSwlv9aWlh1)
22"X18" Bass
10"x7" Tom
12"X8" Tom
16"X14" Floor Tom (I've seen 16x16 floor toms in some configurations)

Which do you think would be more versatile? Can the 20x16 bass drum and 14x14 floor tom of the fusion kit be used for louder situations? I believe the shell is made of Maple and Walnut so I'm not sure how big of a factor that would be.

I'm leaning towards the Fusion kit because of portability (carrying a 22x18 bass drum is not fun) but I'm afraid that it might not fare well in bigger and louder situations.

Saturns are LOUD, don't worry. I'm sure either will stand up to amped guitars if that's what you're up against. As I understand it, shell depth affects volume and projection, not diameter which affects pitch more. In that scenario, neither floor tom would be louder that the other. I'd consider other factors, though...

To me, a 14" diameter tom is a hanging tom. I'd go for the 16" foor tom configuration. I have a 16 x 14" deep floor tom and it's perfect for me. Loud enough by miles!

I much prefer a 22" bass drum tone so again for me it's a +1.

One thing to think about - the 20" configuration seems to have a drilled bass drum and double tom holder. The 22" seems to be undrilled with 2 single tom holders to attach to stands. This may sway you - I have always preferred the ease of a drilled set up.

I prefer the finish on the 20" but tbh both look gorgeous in real life.

So on balance I prefer the sizes of the 22, but the look and convenience of the 20. Since sound beats looks and ease of use, I'd plump for the 22.

Thas my 2c. I'm sure you'll be happy with either choice, and they'll be heard I'm sure. They're great drums for the money.

I have a slightly different version of the rock setup (shallower rack toms and deeper kick drum), and it's absolutely killer.

Not personally a fan of having a 14" as my only floor tom, but it all depends on what you're after. Saturns can be tuned a bit lower than many other kits I've tried, but not all that much, so if you want that deep floor tom sound I'd definitely still go for the 16".

I’ve got a Saturn V in that smaller configuration and I have no qualms whatsoever. I do understand your concerns, taking a chance on a smaller bass drum and floor tom for the first time was something I took months and months to do before finally taking the plunge. My first kit in a similar configuration was a Gretsch Catalina Club, cheap enough at a sale price for me to not be too much out of pocket if it didn’t work. It did work and when the Saturn in that configuration became available I didn’t worry about buying it.
I play Classic Rock with it in one band, Glam Rock in another. And the Glam Rock has lots of thumpy floor tom rhythms to play, Devilgate Drive, Shang A Lang, Wig Wam Bam etc, the floor tom raises zero issues. I’ve kept the supplied Ambassadors on the batter heads and fitted an Evans Emad on the bass with an unported front head. If those heads don’t work for you I’m sure there are plenty of people who could advise other options.
As GAW pointed out, the 20” configuration kit has a drilled bass drum. It becomes personal preference at this point but for me the ability to set my toms up quickly and consistently in position is important.

Will Calhoun plays a 20" Saturn .... and it holds up just fine.​

Attachments

• mapexsetup.jpg
    mapexsetup.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 825
Size counts, bigger is better!

I have a Saturn V kit with 22 10 12 16 config (plus snare) and I love it. I am not a heavy hitter, so I don't find the kit especially loud, but with the stock Remo heads the tone is excellent.

A 20x16 bass drum will be easier to put in most cars than a 22x18. 14x14 floor toms are cool too. Peace and goodwill.

You owe it to yourself to check out the Saturn V blowout deals here...rock and jazz configs....I don't work for the following establishment but I've purchased 2 sets from them and many, many other accessories along the way. Great people.

https://www.drumcenternh.com/mapex-drum-sets/l/saturn-v

Thanks for this! I will definitely check this out!

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm probably going to go for the rock setup with the 22x18 kick. I've been mulling over this for the past month so my gut is telling me to get the rock setup.

Back