Problem with Pro-Mark

JoeLackey

I'd like to start off by saying Pro-Mark is my favorite brand of sticks and the 2B model is perfect for me. They have the most pure, organic, comfortable feel of any stick I've used - and I've tried a lot. I was recently blessed with a brick in the 2B model and was very excited, though my excitement soon died out. I did the "roll-the-stick-across-a-table" test to check each sticks balance and, sure enough, 4 sticks (both sticks in two pairs) were wobbly. This has happened to me once before. I'm not sure what's going on with Pro Mark, but 4 sticks being unbalanced is pathetic. I'll continue using the other sticks in the brick because I'm faithful, but they need to fix the problem - it looks really bad.

The best thing to do is to contact Pro-Mark and tell them that you found some seconds in the box.
If they don't know that there is a problem, they can't fix it.

Yeah, I think I may send them an e-mail. I hope they don't dismiss it. I just don't think it looks good on the company when you buy a brick and four sticks are no good. Thanks for the reply!

The sale of Pro Mark to D'Addario is in the final stages.
It has been an interesting year for gear manufacturers.

Email them and they will fix it. I used to play Pro-Mark 808's until literally every pair I had of the nylon tipped sticks, the tip would crack and fall off on at least one of the sticks. I contacted them and they said just send back the defective sticks and they would replace them.

Drum companies, for the most part, are really helpful. I recently ordered sticks from Zildjian, and they sent me the wrong sticks. I called Z-Care and informed them of the problem, and they sent me the right sticks, and let me keep the ones they sent by mistake free of charge, so I didn't have the trouble of boxing them up and shipping them back

Then recently I contacted Evans drumheads about them not selling E-Rings in 12", 16" and 16" config, even though a lot of drummers use two 16" floor toms. They apologized that it was an inconvenience and sent me a 12" and two 16" rings free of charge.

I'd like to think with their reputation, Pro Mark would be more than willing to help you in the same way Zildjian and Evans helped me.

WOW..this post is OLD as DIRT!

So, ProMark has undergone a COMPLETE overhaul, with new machines, management, quality control, the whole 9...and the new sticks they are turning feel amazing, and are perfect!

This is why I switched to ProMark, as well as many others, because of the feel, consistency and durability of the sticks.

The NEW ProMark is better than ever!

Pat, that's very nice to hear. And I've read that info on Pro Mark improving various things/that overhaul on this forum before.

But... I ordered a pair of Pro Mark Todd Sucherman signature sticks (my favourite sticks since then - I love them) in Feb. 2012 as my music store didn't have them in stock - they were shipped to my address (it was the same order I got my Ludwig P4 pad ;-). And one of those sticks is a bit warped (haven't contacted my store in regard to this) - it's not a banana but I've been using that specific stick for my right hand exclusively as the warping is noticeable when I'm playing trad grip/left hand. I've got used to this but I'm wondering whether I'd have to settle with warped sticks in the future if I order some more.

Makes me think that some Pro Mark distributors don't care that much to check/make sure they're not shipping warped sticks.

I might contact my store/the German distributor, I'm curious to see their reaction.

Back in 2009 I bought Pro-Mark's, got home and noticed they were all badly warped. I didn't roll them first so that's my fault. Decided to roll them from then on and found most 5A's, 5B's and the Natural versions as well were warped, but after rolling several pairs I might find one or two pairs that were straight. I noticed no matter what store or city, in Northern California, all Pro-Marks were horribly warped,and in a few cases walked out of stores with no sticks at all because I just not want to switch. I was also afraid of ordering them online because of this.

Eventually due to frustration I switched over to Vic Firth and Vater. So in May of 2011 I emailed Pro-Mark, and they sent me each of the following - Neil Peart Oak 747, Natural 5B, Natural 5A, also stating the 5A's had a slight wobble, lol! So they do indeed look after their customer. I was told the wood they purchased may not have been up to standard, so that may have been the issue. The warped sticks are still out there though. I had to roll 12 pairs of 747 Rock a few weeks ago to find 3 pairs that were straight. I did read that by the end of 2012 this will no longer be an issue and that quality control will be much better. I figure by that time I will have played through a stick bag full of Vic's and Vaters and I can finally come back home to Pro-Mark. I do however use Stick Rapp on all of them , best grip tape on the market!

I use the Pro Mark Simon Phillips 707 hickory, it's basically an 5A stick but longer with a beefier neck and round bead/tip, excellent for cymbal articulation. For me it's an A1+ drumstick.

Back