The dream vs. reality.

Andy

Honorary Member
As a snapshot further to my thread on dangerous wood dusts. First picture is the dream wood shop, 2nd picture is reality - me machining pau ferro shells.

Attachments

• woodwrights-shop.jpg
    woodwrights-shop.jpg
    832.6 KB · Views: 348
  • PPE.jpg
    PPE.jpg
    945.9 KB · Views: 347
that's a cool shot of both shops, I can actually feel the old shop from this pic with the wood burning stove and wood dust covering the floor. The modern version lacks that old world charm, but more than gets the job done. I would love to make a living working in either.

I just wonder if the old Maple, Pine, and Oak from the day had the same toxins as some of the exotic woods you are using today.

And lets get some tape around that sleeve/glove seam.

Last edited:
Dang Andy that is some garb. When I was a researcher I used a lot of radioactive tracers and wore a similar outfit just no respirator. Hot as hell and about the time you are all geared up you need to go pee. Wore multiple layers of gloves. It's amazing no matter how careful when cleaning up and checking with Geiger counter you'd find radioactivity all over the place course some was from others using the area. Had a pair of jeans get contaminated with short life orthophosphate and I had to leave my pants in the lab till it decayed. We used some deadly toxins and I've been exposed to do many carcinogens I've lost count- even had one nerve gas scare

Love it.

All of life seems to be a bit like that.
(except for those rather rare occasions)
Ain't that the truth!

I would love to make a living working in either.
So would I ;)

I just wonder if the old Maple, Pine, and Oak from the day had the same toxins as some of the exotic woods you are using today.

And lets get some tape around that sleeve/glove seam.
Hahaha, you got me on the staged photo. My daughter took this shot before I started machining. There's no way I'd have her or anyone else in the shop whilst that's going on. Glove & mask seams are taped for the real deal John :)

As for wood dust. Certainly, most commonly used USA & Northern European indigenous species are fairly harmless (aside from the fact that all fine dusts are harmful if inhaled), but you'd be surprised just how sensitising (& in some cases, outright toxic) some non exotic species can be.

Hot as hell and about the time you are all geared up you need to go pee.
I know that one well enough :( Like you, I'm used to protecting myself. My engineering expertise was earned with my time at BNFL (a uranium enrichment plant in the UK).

Hey! That first picture looks like my shop! Except mine has six or seven cats chewing on my boxes and pooping on the floor. :(

Seriously, that's a great set up you have there, bud. I hate it when I see pics of such perfect shops. I seem to thrive better with absolute chaos and madness swirling around everything I do. That's why my wife has roped-off my bedroom from the rest of the house! :)

GeeDeeEmm

I woukd much rather work in shop 2 vs. shop 1. Im not a fan of working in a toxic wast suit, but the clenliness and organized nature of the modern shop, I believe, leads to a better end product. Its not because the shop is clean that makes a better product, but if the owner of the shop keeps his work space this spotless, just think of how picky they are about the product they make in that shop.

Wow. That's dedication man. Andy you really do things right.

Not everybody could make that look work for them, but you carry it off beautifully, dahling ;)

Safety glasses, mask, gloves in some cases for safety. Wood inhaled can be cancer causing.

I hate it when I see pics of such perfect shops.
It's not normally that spotless, although it's always kept in order. Before & after working with something as unpleasant as pau ferro shavings / dust, the shop is given a complete clean down.

I always thought because wood was organic, that sawdust was harmless. But what I have read, sawdust, any sawdust species and lungs do not go well together. Downright dangerous from what info I have seen.
Yes, all dust is bad news, but pau ferro (plus a host of other species) are especially aggressive. Airborne dermatitis & respiratory distress being likely affects of exposure. Not to be taken lightly.

Im not a fan of working in a toxic wast suit, but the clenliness and organized nature of the modern shop, I believe, leads to a better end product. Its not because the shop is clean that makes a better product, but if the owner of the shop keeps his work space this spotless, just think of how picky they are about the product they make in that shop.
We're sure picky, but wearing the full PPE deal is the exception rather than the rule. It's reserved for the most aggressive sensitising species only. I always wear a mask for general sanding though.

Wow. That's dedication man. Andy you really do things right.
No choice on this occasion Larry. It's not pleasant to work like this, & everything takes much longer.

Not everybody could make that look work for them, but you carry it off beautifully, dahling ;)
Why thank you :) My wife would tell you it's my best look ;)

Safety glasses, mask, gloves in some cases for safety. Wood inhaled can be cancer causing.
Absolutely John, although I have to confess, I'm not always as rigid with safety regime as I should be on the lower risk stuff.

I thought Shop #1 looked familiar - it's Roy Underhill's Woodwright's Shop.

Sort of resembles my woodshop - it's got a floor, walls, a ceiling ...

Back