Toning down a ride cymbal

MDslammer

Hi Guys,

Normally my rides are always played wide open. Which is why I have a decent selection of rides.

However, in the past whenever I felt the need to slightly de wduce the wash or overtones, I'd be se a very small amount of tape to selected areas under the cymbal.

What do any of you do if you find a need to control too much wash/overtones?

Thanks

MDslammer

I only have 2 rides, one is an old Zildjian and I have several pieces of masking tape under it. That gives it a little more stick definition, and tones the wash down a bit. I have seen videos with people using moon jell on top.

If you use a light chain on top, you won't get tape residue.
If you use blue painter's tape (or similar), you'll get little to no tape residue.
Can't speak about moon gel, because I haven't used it. Some people here do though.

Also, there's a 'cymbal' section here, under the 'Drum Gear' tab.

I would never attempt to muffle a cymbal, it seems wrong to dampen a cymbal...

If you want less wash/overtone you can either use a heavier ride or use a different stick.

I use different sticks depending on the gig, and my VF AJ3s produce quite a bit of overtone when I want it, but I'll switch to AJ6s if I want a more precisely defined sound. Try experimenting with different stick sizes and/or different tips and see if that helps.

My PST8 ride is just a unruly bastard.. i put 1 pad of moongel on it and it made it about perfect..

Try playing on different parts of the bow. I get less wash when I play closer to the bell, but it still has good stick definition.

I do the tape thing a little bit as well.

One thing to keep in mind (in case you haven't already checked this out) is that it may sound very different to the microphones or audience acoustically. Have you litened to it from farther away while somebody else (with a somewhat similar touch) played it? Have you recorded it?

I have a couple rides that are extremely washy to my ears, yet my overheads record a beautiful clicky ride with articulation for days.

Hi Bill,

Yes, I've been recording my drums in my studio daily. Adjusting the overhead
mic placement to where I think I'm getting the best articulation from my rides.
Recorded they sound like they do live which is a good thing. However, when I dig in, especially at very bright tempos, I start to get a bit of wash. Seems normal for the most part. Just looking for suggestions that others are using.
Thanks for the reply.

I do the tape thing a little bit as well.

One thing to keep in mind (in case you haven't already checked this out) is that it may sound very different to the microphones or audience acoustically. Have you litened to it from farther away while somebody else (with a somewhat similar touch) played it? Have you recorded it?

I have a couple rides that are extremely washy to my ears, yet my overheads record a beautiful clicky ride with articulation for days.

Interesting... Moon gell...

I only have 2 rides, one is an old Zildjian and I have several pieces of masking tape under it. That gives it a little more stick definition, and tones the wash down a bit. I have seen videos with people using moon jell on top.

Hey Wildbill,

What do you mean by "a light chain on top, you won't get tape residue"?
Used regular painters tape and had decent success w/o leaving any residue.
Will try the blue painters tape as well.
Thanks.

If you use a light chain on top, you won't get tape residue.
If you use blue painter's tape (or similar), you'll get little to no tape residue.
Can't speak about moon gel, because I haven't used it. Some people here do though.

Also, there's a 'cymbal' section here, under the 'Drum Gear' tab.

Well, there is no "right or wrong". It's a personal audio preference for each individual.
For me, heavy ride cymbals don't make it for playing jazz. The cymbal needs to have some wash to it.
Reaching a balance between a little and a lot is the ticket.

As far as sticks are concerned, I use only one model which has good weight balance and a
small ball tip for articulate strokes and rebound. The great Ed Shaughnessy once told me years ago,
"play and practice with the same stick. If it doesn't serve all your needs, find the right one"...
Thanks for posting.

I would never attempt to muffle a cymbal, it seems wrong to dampen a cymbal...

If you want less wash/overtone you can either use a heavier ride or use a different stick.

I use different sticks depending on the gig, and my VF AJ3s produce quite a bit of overtone when I want it, but I'll switch to AJ6s if I want a more precisely defined sound. Try experimenting with different stick sizes and/or different tips and see if that helps.

There are definitely several areas on a ride cymbal that will render different
tonal qualities. There is also a "sweet spot" for each cymbal which renders a full sound with the most favorable playing feel.
Thanks.

Try playing on different parts of the bow. I get less wash when I play closer to the bell, but it still has good stick definition.

Doesn't work for me. Too much restraint on the cymbal movement. Also, cuts
down on the bell projecting.
Thanks.

The idea isn't to restrict movement but to get the cymbal to move in a manner that produces less wash. Some cymbals naturally produce fewer overtones with more sustain. In some cases clamping the cymbal can force the cymbal to flex and produce more high overtones that don't last as long(less wash). May not work for every cymbal, mine is a 24 medium A. No problems projecting.

My 22" A Zildijan Ping is a monster, and I use Moon Gel on it, as well as my 16" A Zildjian Thin Crash, Paiste Signature 17" Full Crash, as well as my Sabian B8 Pro 20" Ride. The Moon Gel does leave a residue (at least it has on mine), but with the sounds bouncing right back to me off the plexiglass at church, and for volume control, I have to use them. However, on tape they sound great with or without the Moon Gel.

My 22" A Zildijan Ping is a monster, and I use Moon Gel on it, as well as my 16" A Zildjian Thin Crash, Paiste Signature 17" Full Crash, as well as my Sabian B8 Pro 20" Ride. The Moon Gel does leave a residue (at least it has on mine), but with the sounds bouncing right back to me off the plexiglass at church, and for volume control, I have to use them. However, on tape they sound great with or without the Moon Gel.

Except for these two quotes, I disagree with almost every other comment in this thread. I use Moon Gel or equivalent (glass gell from the $1 store) and it works just fine to cut down wash and overtone. I would never use tape because of the residue and Moon Gel doesn't leave any either if you take it off the cymbals after use.

Back