The Tick Tock Effect

I can't figure out how to embed it, but I just got this video back - The Tick Tock Effect

Please let me know what you think about it? Does the message get through effectively? thanks!

I thought it definitely got across the message (if the message was to peak one's interest about the phenomenon of sound entrainment and make me want to find out more by reading your book). Really quite nice I thought.

Yes it's definitely effective, I just purchased the kindle edition. I've been musing about the application of mindfulness and performance and see you examine that as well. Nice

Vid looks like it was done by TruScribe, yes?

My first thought is No, I hear a tick, tick, tick...

But as I'm listening to the video, I do remember many a time listening to a studio track and trying to figure out the Kick Bass vs. the Bass. What's being played by who. It's still something I struggle with on occasion. The video at the very least, helped me understand the effect.

As soon as I pony up my quarterly taxes to Uncle Sam I'm getting this. Very interesting.

Yes it's definitely effective, I just purchased the kindle edition. I've been musing about the application of mindfulness and performance and see you examine that as well. Nice

Yes, it is actually a focus of the book - the mindfulness parts are made clear by how the brain synchronizes and entrains with the environment. Much of what is in that section is so well known in neuophysiology that I was told there was no reason to provide sources for it (such as the past v present v future bit).

BTW - The video was made by Doug Neill at The Graphics Recorder.

the term "tick tock" comes from the times of pendulum clocks where you actually heard "Tick Tock" .... two different sounds..

book looks interesting though.... just ordered mine

Thanks!

"Tick tock" isn't simply a holdover, though. Every language has their own version of "tick tock" and people do actually perceive a difference. This is one of the first things studied by the new field of Psychology in the 19th century. It is very, very well studied.We will split the ticking into tick-tock even if it is totally equal (this has been VERY well studied, for almost 150 years now) Faster ticks may become 6/8 or another metrical grouping, and you can induce a particular way of hearing it by differentiating the sounds by modulating the tone, volume or moving one ahead or behind the beat.

In my 2nd book, Start Playing Drums, I talk about what it means specifically for drummers. The "Tick"is the downbeat, it is played with the bass drum, and feels heavy, or gravity. The "tock" is the backbeat, commonly played with the snare in American musics, and feels light, or anti-gravity. All American music starts with the downbeat on beat 1*. Caribbean music, such as Reggae or Samba, typically starts on the back beat and has the downbeat on beat 2. This is at odds to what you learned about rhythm at the University, which says that the back beat is just a lesser form of the down beat. They are not the same thing at all, and their relative strengths help define the overall feel of the rhythm.

*(note: some people use downbeat to also mean the 1st beat in a piece, or the first beat in a bar. These are different meanings for the same word. I'm not using it to refer to the first beat of the bar, or the start time of the show)

I hear one sound repeated, always have. I have always wondered why people say things like "tick-tock". I never hear "tock". Maybe that's why I'm a crappy drummer and lose my place frequently.

It really just means you don't hear the ticking of the clock as music.

If you are losing your place often, though, then perhaps you are going about it wrong. Unfortunately, much as what is taught about rhythm is misleading and/or unhelpful. Rhythm isn't a thing that you do, it is a state of mind. When you are in synch with the music, your brain is thinking in time with the music and your hands can't help but play in time. My advice is to commit to playing by feel, mistakes be damned. (perhaps even close your eyes/wear a blind fold. Once you know the music strictly by feel, you won't be able to get lost. There is a section on this in the book.

I naturally hear the tick tock (though from my understanding at least with guitar I have a very good ear) but if I focus I can hear the true tick tick. It takes effort though and after a while if I relax it goes back to tick tock.

My advice is to commit to playing by feel, mistakes be damned. (perhaps even close your eyes/wear a blind fold. Once you know the music strictly by feel, you won't be able to get lost...

This is amazing. I came to that same conclusion myself a few months ago, and it does seem to be helping.

Back