DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 08-06-2018, 02:32 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Y'all ever seen this dude?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Push pull stroke View Post
LOL My groove has improved by leaps and bounds since then. Yes, that sucked, it was about 15 minutes after I woke up, no warmup, and I didnít practice that groove or even plan to play a groove. But yes, it was awful. LOL

*shrug* I mean, I can post another video where Iím fully awake, playing something I have actually practiced before, and am warmed up.

My point about the kid is that thereís a really nice feel to the random 16th fills on the toms, thatís all. I can play that just fine, I know what heís doing to get that sound, but I canít bust out little licks like that and have that nice slightly-swung groove in them. Theyíd be generic-sounding. Iíd have to have them at least somewhat pre-planned and well-practiced to play what he did as well as he did. Now, anyway. If I had 3 years, 4 hours a day in the practice room, yeah, Iíd be ahead of what he just did. But what other skills does he have that didnít get shown off? Can he samba, merengue, buzz roll well, etc.?
You sound like Will Ferrell singing in Step Brothers... "My throats been sore for like a month, and I didn't want to wake up Robert and Nancy...".

Who knows if he can samba, meringue, or whatever? And who cares? That video wasn't about those styles. "Yeah, that was an okay homerun, but can he rollerskate?". Ridiculous argument to try to justify that attitude.
Old 08-06-2018, 02:41 AM
Gold Member

Pocket-full-of-gold and cutaway 79 have summed things up nicely.
I will add this.

Quote:

there’s a really nice feel to the random 16th fills on the toms. I can play that just fine,
Thought you said you couldn't play 1/16ths around the toms?

Quote:
I can make straight 16ths groove really nicely on the snare, but haven’t developed that around the toms yet.
By the way, he's also playing 1/32nd notes around the toms.

Quote:

I’d have to have them at least somewhat pre-planned and well-practiced to play what he did as well as he did
There's a massive difference in pre planning fills and having the vocabulary and subsequent ability to play them on the fly like he does.

Quote:
If I had 3 years, 4 hours a day in the practice room, yeah, I’d be ahead of what he just did.
OH, you'd be ahead of him? Not just as good but actually better than him. Awesome. I'm sure we all believe that. Thing is, you're not ahead of him, he's younger than most of us, is already playing better than most, and it might have taken him way less than 3 years and 4 hours just to get to where he is now.

Quote:

But what other skills does he have that didn’t get shown off? Can he samba, merengue, buzz roll well, etc.?
Check out the first few seconds of the latin vibe he plays in the last video I linked of him. You think he wouldn't be able to play a buzz roll, samba or merengue after seeing all the other stuff he can play? You might as well ask Gordon Ramsay if he can make an omelette. All you're doing is digging a deeper and deeper hole for yourself, it's embarassing. I'm done here, you're so full of yourself with nothing to back it up it's not worth debating anymore.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:56 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
..If I had 3 years, 4 hours a day in the practice room, yeah, Iíd be ahead of what he just did. But what other skills does he have that didnít get shown off?..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin5 View Post
..OH, you'd be ahead of him? Not just as good but actually better than him. Awesome. I'm sure we all believe that..

To me such statements are only internetforum-rhetoric, based on literally nothing and mostly made by people with a complete lack of selfreflection..

People who really can play and are 'better' than another drummer would never say that about themselves, they would just play..I am dutch and in my country such arrogance would be a guarantee to never have a day work as a drummer in your life..
Old 08-06-2018, 04:10 AM
Platinum Member

I have a degree in music performance. How many of you critics can even read music? No offense, guys, Iíve got nothing to prove to any of you. I know what I can and canít do. I see no point in posting a video of an unknown player who is nowhere near what the best in the industry can do. So I offered my honest opinion. *shrug*

Look, nobody had any mercy on my playing when I was in school. Not one bit. Any ability I had to get my feelings hurt about my playing was burned away by microscopic analysis and merciless ongoing critique. I may not have the facility around the kit this kid does, but my sense of time, my ear, and my work ethic are...impeccable. It doesnít matter what he can do. I can get there with practice.

Iím still just confused why it was posted. Whatís remarkable here? Johnny Rabb, Jojo, Vinnie, Carter, Dennis Chambers....all these guys are hugely better.

And what difference does it make if Iím full of it or not? Find something better to do. Iím busy raising two toddlers and working 50 hours a week, and practicing when Iíve got time and energy. LOL IDGAF what any of you think. No offense.
Old 08-06-2018, 04:29 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
..I have a degree in music performance. How many of you critics can even read music? No offense, guys..

..Iím still just confused why it was posted. Whatís remarkable here?..Dennis Chambers..all these guys are hugely better..

..No offense..

Also no offense, but Dennis Chambers can't read music as far as i know, unless he maybe learned that recently..

Those legendary drumparts that we all know from him are played with his ears, not his eyes..
Old 08-06-2018, 04:50 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskoolsoul View Post
Also no offense, but Dennis Chambers can't read music as far as i know, unless he maybe learned that recently..

Those legendary drumparts that we all know from him are played with his ears, not his eyes..
Neither could Buddy Rich. Gone are the days where you can get a music career without that ability, though.

I will freely admit the kid in the video can probably read drum charts better than me. OTOH, Iím a pretty good mallet player and sightreader, and the same for timpani and concert snare.

But the question remains. How many of you can read music? Since youíre going to talk crap about me, I mean. LOL
Old 08-06-2018, 05:08 AM
Administrator - Mayor

The OP asked, Have y'all seen this dude. Keep your comments there, and skip the personal attacks. Thank you.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:10 PM
Silver Member

I will not edit my posts, but i kinda regret every 'criticism' that i wrote about this guy, because the guy is just an amazing player..

Like this..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-whiWzlTSFM
Old 01-11-2019, 12:12 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskoolsoul View Post
I will not edit my posts, but i kinda regret every 'criticism' that i wrote about this guy, because the guy is just an amazing player..

Like this..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-whiWzlTSFM
Look how much fun this kid is having in this video! Super impressive. My hat's off to him and I hope others can have the same supportive attitude, well that's what I'm used to with my drummer buddies in real life, you know, face-to-face actually hanging out.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:36 AM

I think the kid is good. Great chops. He reminds me a lot of many drummers I've seen in my lifetime. He's a musician. There's attitude involved, ego. We don't HAVE to sit like zombies and play. I was in high school in the 80's--THIS GUY WAS EVERYWHERE, LOL--attitude, hair flipping, etc. Just pay attention to his playing, he's good.