Singing drummers

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
2 part question:
How many drummers out there sing? I do but I'm not so hot with harmonies.
Also how many famous singing drummers can you name?

2 part question:
How many drummers out there sing? I do but I'm not so hot with harmonies.
Also how many famous singing drummers can you name?

I do.

Don Brewer - Grand Funk Railroad
Kelly Keagy - Night Ranger
Gil Moore - Triumph
Don Henley - The Eagles, solo
Phil Collins - Genesis, solo
Karen Carpenter(RIP) - The Carpenters
Nigel Olsson - Elton John
Tommy Lee - Motley Crue, solo
Dave Grohl - Nirvana, Foo Fighters
Ringo Starr - The Beatles, solo
Micky Dolenz - The Monkeys
Meg White - The White Stripes
Sheila E. - Prince, solo

...to name a few.

Damn Michael good list. Do you sing harmony? Do you get a monitor?

I don't... yet, maybe in the future. I would also like to add Taylor Hawkins - Foo Fighters to that list

Singing is just so damn much fun for me, I totally just go for it. I have a limited range, and can't do much harmony, but playing music live is all about accentuating the positive and downplaying the negative. Taylor Hawkins, good add. How about the guy from the Dave Clark 5, is that Dave Clark?

I sing...mostly harmonies, but I do some leads, including some improvised stuff at some shows, where I'm improvising beats and lyrics simultaneously. It's a lot of fun.

Improvising lyrics while playing?.......you're good.

The first time I played and sang, we were doing pre-production for my first solo c.d. By the end of an hour of getting the hang of singing into a mic while doing what needed to be done on the drums, I was soaked with sweat and felt like I'd run a marathon. After a few days though it started coming naturally.

Improvising lyrics while playing?.......you're good.

The first time I played and sang, we were doing pre-production for my first solo c.d. By the end of an hour of getting the hang of singing into a mic while doing what needed to be done on the drums, I was soaked with sweat and felt like I'd run a marathon. After a few days though it started coming naturally.

I actually think it's easier to sing something improvised while playing than to sing a regular song. I mean, I write a lot and stuff, so getting it to rhyme, etc, isn't too big of a problem. But when you sing a song that everyone knows, that has a set rhythm, set lyrics, etc, then if you mess it up a little, everyone notices. But when you're just making crap up, if you get hung up and add a pause, or phrase something in a funny way because you are concentrating on something else, people don't know. And I admit, I can usually get my point across, but not nearly as eloquently as if I weren't doing it all at the same time.

When I stated playing drums I put the headphones on and a stack of records dating myself..LOL and played while I played i sang along to the songs so it just came natural.

being able to Sing and having STRONG harmonies has gotten me MANY gigs.
Omar Hakim,and Abe L w Paul Mccartney got their gigs not just on drumming but also their vocal ability.
BEST singing drummer would go to Deen Castranova with JOURNEY check out his voice here....http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=-gomgFZsG-0
Tim

there is a guy in an indie band that sings, i think the band is blood red shoes or something

Oh, and to answer the second part of the question, there's already that huge list, but Carter Beauford from DMB is probably the band's best singer, with Dave clocking in at #2.

I get hired sometimes because I'm one of the few drummers who can sing bass while drumming in my area. My range is from the F above middle C down to the B below the bass clef. I usually get stuck singing the "It's a celebration" part on Celebrate, for example. I also sing in vocal groups (quartets) and with a caroling agency during the holiday season (gotta do something during the slow months). Diversify, diversify, diversify!

Stan Lynch - Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
Roger Taylor - Queen
Lee Kerslake - Uriah Heep
Terry Bozzio - Worth checking out "Titties and Beer" or "Broken Hearts are for Assholes" but if you're just interested in drumming, Bozzio's is pretty special on "The Torture Never Stops" and "Zoot Allures"
Albert Bouchard - Blue Oyster Cult

As for me I will just stick to learning the drums and leave the singing to the rest! I sing ALONE...all by myelf!

Luis Cardenas?? played drums for Rengade I think [Bermuda is a friend of his] but had a coupla hits singing too; check out 'Runaway' on youtube, has Del Shannon, Donny Osmond and some dinosaurs in it!! Also had 'the biggest drum set' in the world according to Guinness tv show [4 bass drum Luddie in leopard print I think, maybe tiger]

Damn Michael good list. Do you sing harmony? Do you get a monitor?

Thanks, larryace! ;-)

My inspirations on that list!

Yes, I do sing harmonys! Leads, also! I usually get headphones, but sometimes a monitor.

Thanks for asking! :)

Wow it's really cool that a lot of you sing. And yes! Levon Helm! Duh! Deen Castronova, of course! The guy in the Fab Faux sings his ass off, not sure of his name.

Back