Phil Rudd

Re: Drummer From Ac/Dc

hopefully this does turn into a...

why is angus young one of the sweetest guitarist ever?

how exactly did AC/DC stay popular for so long?

Bon Scott?

...thread

he probably does that to create even more of that Rock N' Roll vibe

That's just how he chose to start off the song.

Hopefully this doesn't turn into a:

- Why does he play the same beat every song?

- Why does he almost never play fills in every song?

- Why when he does play a fill is it always the same in every song?

thread.

nah nah, i was just wondering because i just started to notice he does this alot

Phil Rudd or Chris Slade?

Just because the drummer generally counts off the song and he likes to do so using the hi-hat. I think it sounds better on tape than hearing sticks clicking off.

you have a point there. rob is it? idk everyone knows everyones name i feel left out.. no not really jk. but yes stick clicking is a bit old fashioend eh?

you have a point there. rob is it? idk everyone knows everyones name i feel left out.. no not really jk. but yes stick clicking is a bit old fashioend eh?

Yes it's Rob. Don't feel bad, I don't know half of the people's names on here. People know me, but I only know a handful.

I don't know if it's old fashioned, but it's just personal preference, as is counting off the song on tape at all.

Yes it's Rob. Don't feel bad, I don't know half of the people's names on here. People know me, but I only know a handful.

I don't know if it's old fashioned, but it's just personal preference, as is counting off the song on tape at all.

yeah it is.. most of the songs in my band i dont come in till about three or four measures after the song starts

I have always wondered on big shows, how they know when to starts (assuming they all come in at the same time). Say Dream Theater for example, none is actually counting-off, and I know they dont use a click....

Mike Portnoy uses what he calls the "secret cowbell", an electronic pad positioned within reach on his kit, which is only connected to everyone's in ear monitors and which he uses to count the song in.

just thought I'd like to clear this up, but acdc has had 8 different drummers/changes, not two

73-74: Colin Burgess
74: Noel Taylor, Peter Clack, Tony Currenti, and finally Phil Rudd
74-83: Phil Rudd
83-89: Simon Wright
89-94: Chris Slade
94-present: Phil Rudd again

by the way, I knew that acdc has had more than two drummers and knew some of their names, but looked all this up on wikipedia

Last edited:

just thought I'd like to clear this up, but acdc has had 8 different drummers/changes, not two

by the way, I knew that acdc has had more than two drummers and knew some of their names, but looked all this up on wikipedia

wikipedia can be un realiable sometimes

wikipedia can be un realiable sometimes

True, considering anyone can edit it. But that list seems right to me. I know the Chris Slade and Phil Rudd weren't the only drummers, I just didn't know the names. Those two are the most famous associated with AC/DC so they come up more often.

You forgot Bon Scott, as he origonally started out in the band as a rodie and then he graduated to playing drums (even thought it was only for one gig).

A good strong count is vital - the source of the count (hats/sticks/verbal) doesn't matter as long as everyone can hear it clearly. IN larger venues - with larger stages, a hi-hat count is the most audible.

On the AC/DC front don't let Phil Rudd's and Chris Slade's better name recognition detract from Simon Wright's playing. He really is a great drummer and, although we lost touch a long time ago (for reasons which I can put down to youthful idiocy on my part and only make me look bad), a great guy.

Paul

I have always wondered on big shows, how they know when to starts (assuming they all come in at the same time). Say Dream Theater for example, none is actually counting-off, and I know they dont use a click....

Theyve rehearsed so many times and they know each other so well that they usually dont need to count anything off, a simple stare or bodymovement can indecate to the band memebers when to start.

yeah its just the way he count s off a song i guess it is kinda weird the way a lot of them start off with it

Hey gents,

Been on the outskirts for ages, but now I'm in, so hello and howdy.

This thread just reminded me that I actually have a cowbell from one of AC/DC's shows, sitting in my cupboard. I think I'll rekindle it, although last I saw there were spiders inside it......

Back