Isolating drums

hello_rijo

Is there a best way to isolate the drum track from a song (for practice/learning) and conversely take the drums out of a song so you could play along?

Re: ISOLATING DRUMS

There is, as far as I know, no dependable way to do this through ordinary mixing, no.

The reason is that the drum sounds are on rather diverse and occupied frequencies, there is no clear, isolatable field of sound (unlike for example bass) that the drums use.

you could try reversing the phase of the signals so anything mixed to the middle (as drums usually are) will be removed. However it does sound REALLY weird and if you have a mono mix it will just remove everything. If you can't hear yourself play you should just turn your tracks down is what i'd say or maybe record the guitar and bass and keyboard parts yourself? In terms of isolating the drums, you'll just have to listen hard to the drums when you listen to the song, you'll pick it up. Learning by ear this way is a good skill to have.

The reason is that the drum sounds are on rather diverse and occupied frequencies, there is no clear, isolatable field of sound (unlike for example bass) that the drums use.

Precisely.

When I need to learn a part, I just have to listen. It usually means looping a section so I can hear it over and over until I absorb it, and sometimes I have to isolate a measure or two and slow the playback to pick out every nuance. But that's the first step - listen. Really listen. Don't even try to play along until the parts are clear in your head. Just listen.

I've had some luck targeting the kick with a parametric EQ, where you can really boost a narrow frequency band and brighten the attack or bring out the thump in order to pull it out from the rest of the track. But the frequencies of the rest of the kit compete with vocal, guitar, keyboard and horn sounds, and trying to bring out the snare (for example) also brings out a lot of other sounds and can make hearing the snare even more difficult than it was in the first place. Although, you can also use EQ to drop certain frequencies that muddy-up the overall sound, and that can help make other sounds more evident.

But EQ is not really the solution. More than anything, you'll have to rely on a good ear. You can practice by focusing on drum parts in songs, even when you don't necessarily need to learn that part, until that process becomes second nature.

Bermuda

Thanks for the replies....anyways Its very easy listening to parts and fuguring out them until you get them clear...But what do you Do when Dennis rapes the kit ?

A drum screen is a transparent acoustic panel or system of panels that are used around drums, Percussion instruments, and possibly other loud musical instruments in order to acoustically separate unusually loud instruments from other musical instruments and vocalists that may be in close proximity. Drum screens are a tool used by audio engineers to avoid the sound control problems caused when louder instruments overwhelm quieter instruments and vocals on stage.

A drum screen is a transparent acoustic panel or system of panels that are used around drums, Percussion instruments, and possibly other loud musical instruments in order to acoustically separate unusually loud instruments from other musical instruments and vocalists that may be in close proximity. Drum screens are a tool used by audio engineers to avoid the sound control problems caused when louder instruments overwhelm quieter instruments and vocals on stage.

what?
oh and nice sig.

I don't think you even read what he was trying to say. Now why don't you say something RELEVANT to convince us your not just randomly posting to advertise stupid things?

Back