No Pain No Gain? (double bass)

Swagsticks

Sometimes when I'm doing exercises, I feel the burn in my calves as if I am working out, is that a good burn and does feeling that burn going to get me results like the muscles tearing and getting stronger?

Sometimes when I'm doing exercises, I feel the burn in my calves as if I am working out, is that a good burn and does feeling that burn going to get me results like the muscles tearing and getting stronger?

As with adult undergarments... depends.

Sometimes I get the burn after a particularly frenetic set, and I think back... and I didn't warm up properly, or I didn't have enough hydration before playing.

Sometimes I'm doing way more "reps" of a certain motion than I'm used to, or at a much higher volume, and that results in teh sore.

Always stretch, always hydrate, and if you still feel the burn you may in fact be doing good workouts. But if you are stretching, hydrating, and your normal playing still causes the burn after some weeks, check yourself before wrecking yourself.

I started playing double bass 4 years ago. Never really felt my calves working all that hard. I'm now up to 270 bpm (sustained 16th notes). For me it's all about eventually developing the pedal technique to the point that you are getting optimal performance out of the pedals.

The pedals themselves, by design, power much of the speed. My muscles mostly just regulate the speed.

Last edited:
As I posted in your same thread in another topic, if your throne height is improper, you could get a burning sensation in your calves.

Back