Stage Banter

Back in Dublin years ago there was a band who had the practice space next to my bands and when we'd pause between songs (usually to huddle over the two bar electric fire to stave off the cold!) we could hear this other band "practicing" their banter, over and over and over and over "IT"S GREAT TO BE BACK IN THE BAGGOT!!!!"(The Baggot Inn, a venue at the time...) etc etc - So cheesy!

Back in Dublin years ago there was a band who had the practice space next to my bands and when we'd pause between songs (usually to huddle over the two bar electric fire to stave off the cold!) we could hear this other band "practicing" their banter, over and over and over and over "IT"S GREAT TO BE BACK IN THE BAGGOT!!!!"(The Baggot Inn, a venue at the time...) etc etc - So cheesy!

OMG that is friggin hilarious!

Reminds me of the time I was doing electric work at a strip store church and the old black ladies were in there practicing their act, "feeling" the Holy Spirit. Not a knock to church, but it struck me as not entirely genuine lol. The person in charge had the gall to insert the word "Apostle" as her title. Like Apostle Dorothy Williams, Pastor.

Get over yourself!

I love it if it's pulled off right. For me it's a gamble, but for some guys are a riot to listen to.

I always loved Hendrix's banter at Monterey Pop, calling Noel Redding "Queen Bee" and Mitch Mitchell "Bob Dylan's Grandmother". Some guys pull it off and it's endearing and a great display of the amount of chemistry within the band, and sometimes they just look like a right ass.

Check out Queens of the Stone Age's frontman Josh Homme (especially the acoustic shows). The guy has a witty retort or some way of really putting the crowd at ease for any situation in the book.

I've seen it hurt bands though. I've seen a couple rants on here about drummers who felt disrespected by their band during some sort of banter.

I lasted 50 seconds. The voice alone made me want to ram broken spintery 7A's in my ears.
LOL! I got several minutes in. It helps if you read the comments. Some are quite funny, e.g. "It's like the 'I Have A Dream' speech only with pancake makeup and chest hair."

wow that reminds me of this guy
hqdefault.jpg

P.S. OMG.. i thoght it said 45 seconds.. not 45 minutes... no way i can listen to more than 2 minutes.. BTW.. i think alot of guys don't realize that a microphone amplifies your voice for you.. no need to scream...

As long as it's funny, spontaneous and short it adds entertainment value.. too long and you lose the dance floor.. if it's not interesting or funny it bores the audience.

I played in an Elvis tribute band many years ago and one of the vocalists was a natural improviser/comedian. When playing at a large outdoor barn dance for a corporate event.. he introduced Elvis as ' the guy that 'bought the farm' and another time as ' 'and now we get to watch Elvis die on stage!'

Not sure if the Elvis impersonator thought it was that funny but it killed the band..

OMG that is friggin hilarious!

Reminds me of the time I was doing electric work at a strip store church and the old black ladies were in there practicing their act, "feeling" the Holy Spirit. Not a knock to church, but it struck me as not entirely genuine lol. The person in charge had the gall to insert the word "Apostle" as her title. Like Apostle Dorothy Williams, Pastor.

Get over yourself!

Funny. I'm sure the church's name started with "Greater . . . "?

GeeDeeEmm

Back