Buying a laptop

LOL, nice way of making yourself feel good about spending cash you didn't need to spend.

Not really sure what you need to tweak on Windows...I've always used Windows and standard PC's. I actually work in IT, and what do you think servers that are up without even a reboot for as much as years run?

Kinda sends your argument crashing down. And what other argument has been presented in paying that extra cash? That it's "the industry standard"? What kind of ignorant comment is that?

Fox.

Gee Fox, sorry to tweak your nose about it. I wasn't making an argument as much as a statement as to what works for me. If it doesn't work for anybody else, including you, that's fine. I do what I do and nobody cares how I get it done, I just do. I musta struck a nerve, eh? You can call me ignorant, that's ok. At this point, the people I work with are into results, and using a mac is what keeps me working with those people. If I could do it on a Windows machine, they wouldn't care about that either, but this is how I do it. You can do it your way, I didn't say you couldn't. Chill out, man ;)

If and when he moves up in the world and needs to impress people with his choice of computer hardware, then a Mac may be necessary.

When it comes to computers DMC, why must you always be so hateful. He asked what would work, not what you hated. Get over it, PLEASE.

If I buy a Gateway, and I had one, or if I buy a Dell and I had one, and WHEN I had a problem I had to spend hours on the phone listening to Dell or Gateway tell me it was a Windows problem, and then Microsoft tell me it was a Dell or Gateway problem. If I have a problem now, one(1) in 5 years, I call Apple and they fix it or show me how within minutes. Dude, do yourself a favor, go out and look at computers and buy what you want. The people on here that like Apple will try to help you while the PC people will spend their time telling you why they Hate Apple. they have yet to grow up and are using Mommies HP to play in Drummerworld for their allotted hour.

Quote...I cannot seem to get used to Apple's OS. I think it's clunky and incredibly unfriendly. Of course, I never took the time to learn it.....this is the typical repines from a PC user trying a Mac. I never took the time to learn it but I know all about it.

Last edited:
If and when he moves up in the world and needs to impress people with his choice of computer hardware, then a Mac may be necessary.

When it comes to computers DMC, why must you always be so hateful. He asked what would work, not what you hated. Get over it, PLEASE.

And a PC with the same specs will work, for almost half the price.

So then go buy one. and enjoy your time on the phone with Dell, Microsoft, and AE sports or whatever supposed compatible 3rd party hardware you buy for 1/2 price.

I work in an automotive repair shop and we use computers to diagnose cars through information websites that allow us to interface with the cars on board computers.
Last year my boss gave me a new PC for my work station.
He happened to stop by my area one day and he noticed that I had my old beat up MacBook opened up. The computer that he bought me was closed and underneath my Mac.
He asked me why I wasn't using the new computer.
I replied that I had booted up the PC and I used it for a day or two.
I then found a better use for it.
It makes a good coaster for my old Mac.

I think that it is genetic. You either have the Mac gene or you have the PC gene.
I just don't have the PC gene.

I started on a Mac in the early 80s when there really was only really a Mac. Commodores don't count. :)

I founded a cross-platform software company in the early 90's (Windows and Mac), and was asked to be a software advisor to Apple's software subsidiary.

Today, I am Windows all the way, and won't ever look back. Too many limitations on Mac, too much proprietary crap, and know too much about Apple's business philosophy of gouging consumers. Only one recent case in point is the first iPhone, which came out with no cut and paste. Please! What a load of crap. Cut and paste is what put Apple on the map, and to screw early iPhone adopters by holding back that staple function of the OS, is downright dirty, and just one example of unscrupulous business practice, because just a few short months later, those early adopters were punished by having no choice but to upgrade to the iPhone II just to get cut and paste. You can't tell me Apple wasn't able to include cut and paste in their first iPhone! Let's get real, what good is a graphical user interface without cut and paste? You know darned well they purposely held back that feature to force people to upgrade, because they already had the iPhone II made when they released the first iPhone!

Not to mention that Apple projected its Apple's holier-than-thou attitude down through it's cult base, who are largely people that snub their noses at anything that's NOT a Mac (which is pure ignorance). Just look at some of the comments on this thread. You never see Windows people poo-pooing Mac people just because they use a Mac.

On the Windows side, there is more available competing software and hardware, which helps breed more competitive pricing, which is why Windows machines are at least 30% cheaper than a comparable Mac.

If that's not enough, you can add and change hardware MUCH easier on a Windows machine than you can on a Mac, laptops notwithstanding. Regarding tech issues, musicians by nature are more analytical and technically capable than the average person, so even if you currently don't think you can figure out what technically needs to be done with a computer, software or hardware -wise, you'll eventually learn.

With that said, you would at least you have the option of fixing/upgrading/configuring hardware or software on a Windows machine. You can find a repair tech on any street corner, if need be. But, it's a whole other animal with a Mac. Even if you do manage to open up some their computer cases, you'll likely have a hard time finding replacement hardware, should you need any. Remember it's all going to pricey, too. You're also much more limited on the software side, with no open source code for anything.

As for you not doing anything serious now, that will be short-lived, once you start recording. Mark my words, you will indeed find yourself delving deeper than you originally thought, and at a faster space than you originally expected. Thus, my advice would be to get the best you can buy now on your budget, because hardware these days will last MUCH longer than it did 10 years ago. Back then software became more and more powerful at a faster rate than hardware, but that has changed to the point where instead of a compuer becoming obsolete in a matter of a few months (if not weeks) like it did back them, today's computers are so powerful they have useful lives for years.

On a laptop, spend on the processor chip and graphics cards, because you're not going to be able to upgrade those very easily. You can always ad Ram, and upgrade hard drive down the road. You can always buy an external monitor should you later prefer larger viewing. You can add peripehrals like Blu-Ray, DVD, external mouse, keyboard, external drives, modems, and more, all via USB.

You might also want to consider a good brand, just so that you at least have access to people at the company, should you need it. One other reason to do so is that the larger companies typically match chipsets (supporting internal hardware) to the processor, thereby maximizing the potential of the computer chip. Smaller companies are generally more apt to skimp in that area. Think of your computer processor chip as a 6 lane freeway. The chipset insures the traffice flow properly to different streets. Get a mismatched chipset and it's akin to that 6 lane freeway merging into two lanes. Imagine your data screaming down the autobahn, only to encounter a bottleneck to two lanes during rush hour!

Also, some manufacturers are geared more toward one purpose than another. For example, Sony VAIOs are geared toward multi-media, while Dell Precisions, Dimensions and Latittudes have always been more business productivity based. HP Pavilions have been at the consumer end of entertainment machines, but because of large advance in hardware technology lately, many folks are able to get by them for multi-media creation. Personally, for the money, Sony VAIOs are hard to beat for what you want to do.

As a rule of thumb, machines that are good for gaming typically have innards suitable for multi-media.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I think this topic should be placed in the category with religion and politics; it really brings out the ugly.

I started on a Mac in the early 80s when there really was only really a Mac. Commodores don't count. :)

I founded a cross-platform software company in the early 90's (Windows and Mac), and was asked to be a software advisor to Apple's software subsidiary.

Today, I am Windows all the way, and won't ever look back. Too many limitations on Mac, too much proprietary crap, and know too much about Apple's business philosophy of gouging consumers. Only one recent case in point is the first iPhone, which came out with no cut and paste. Please! What a load of crap. Cut and paste is what put Apple on the map, and to screw early iPhone adopters by holding back that staple function of the OS, is downright dirty, and just one example of unscrupulous business practice, because just a few short months later, those early adopters were punished by having no choice but to upgrade to the iPhone II just to get cut and paste. You can't tell me Apple wasn't able to include cut and paste in their first iPhone! Let's get real, what good is a graphical user interface without cut and paste? You know darned well they purposely held back that feature to force people to upgrade, because they already had the iPhone II made when they released the first iPhone!

Not to mention that Apple projected its Apple's holier-than-thou attitude down through it's cult base, who are largely people that snub their noses at anything that's NOT a Mac (which is pure ignorance). Just look at some of the comments on this thread. You never see Windows people poo-pooing Mac people just because they use a Mac.

On the Windows side, there is more available competing software and hardware, which helps breed more competitive pricing, which is why Windows machines are at least 30% cheaper than a comparable Mac.

If that's not enough, you can add and change hardware MUCH easier on a Windows machine than you can on a Mac, laptops notwithstanding. Regarding tech issues, musicians by nature are more analytical and technically capable than the average person, so even if you currently don't think you can figure out what technically needs to be done with a computer, software or hardware -wise, you'll eventually learn.

With that said, you would at least you have the option of fixing/upgrading/configuring hardware or software on a Windows machine. You can find a repair tech on any street corner, if need be. But, it's a whole other animal with a Mac. Even if you do manage to open up some their computer cases, you'll likely have a hard time finding replacement hardware, should you need any. Remember it's all going to pricey, too. You're also much more limited on the software side, with no open source code for anything.

As for you not doing anything serious now, that will be short-lived, once you start recording. Mark my words, you will indeed find yourself delving deeper than you originally thought, and at a faster space than you originally expected. Thus, my advice would be to get the best you can buy now on your budget, because hardware these days will last MUCH longer than it did 10 years ago. Back then software became more and more powerful at a faster rate than hardware, but that has changed to the point where instead of a compuer becoming obsolete in a matter of a few months (if not weeks) like it did back them, today's computers are so powerful they have useful lives for years.

On a laptop, spend on the processor chip and graphics cards, because you're not going to be able to upgrade those very easily. You can always ad Ram, and upgrade hard drive down the road. You can always buy an external monitor should you later prefer larger viewing. You can add peripehrals like Blu-Ray, DVD, external mouse, keyboard, external drives, modems, and more, all via USB.

You might also want to consider a good brand, just so that you at least have access to people at the company, should you need it. One other reason to do so is that the larger companies typically match chipsets (supporting internal hardware) to the processor, thereby maximizing the potential of the computer chip. Smaller companies are generally more apt to skimp in that area. Think of your computer processor chip as a 6 lane freeway. The chipset insures the traffice flow properly to different streets. Get a mismatched chipset and it's akin to that 6 lane freeway merging into two lanes. Imagine your data screaming down the autobahn, only to encounter a bottleneck to two lanes during rush hour!

Also, some manufacturers are geared more toward one purpose than another. For example, Sony VAIOs are geared toward multi-media, while Dell Precisions, Dimensions and Latittudes have always been more business productivity based. HP Pavilions have been at the consumer end of entertainment machines, but because of large advance in hardware technology lately, many folks are able to get by them for multi-media creation. Personally, for the money, Sony VAIOs are hard to beat for what you want to do.

As a rule of thumb, machines that are good for gaming typically have innards suitable for multi-media.

Hope this helps.

Wow, great post!

Where did I say in this thread I hated anything? In any case, I think it is good you came in and brought a diverse perspective. I welcome that and would never, ever say or imply you shouldn't speak your mind in any thread; that is a foundation of respect. More discussion, more knowledge.

Whatever it is you think I should get over, even if I understood it, I might not want to/be able to get over it. You might want to consider that you could possibly find more peace if you changed your own mind, instead of trying to change my mind. Or not.

I couldn't do 90% of what I normally do on a Windows based computer.

ive been using windows 7 since before the RC1 release, and before that i was using XP and Vista for a very long time, ever since I was little.

Last year i picked up a macbook pro, and the only thing i couldn't do on a mac that i would usually do on a windows is ctrl+x/c and ctrl+v, because for some reason you can't do that in the finder app.... which is ridiculous.

apart from that i think i prefer OSX (which i have been using for lesser amount of time) over W7. OSX just seems to run faster and more efficient than W7 (my pc has an i7 overclocked to 3.6ghz, more (and faster) ram, better specs etc, and my macbook pro will boot up much quicker (and no my macbook doesn't have an SSD in it))

I also think that W7 has its purpose - for those who cannot afford to pay the extra $ for a macbook. I think macbooks are ridiculously over priced, when the actual operating system for OSX is $30, you could buy any "windows laptop" with an intel processer and hackintosh it to OSX.

Thanks for the advice guys!

I ended up buying HP laptop with more or less the same hardware as a Macbook-pro. I'm just a Windows guy I guess.

Funny thing is, my girlfriend has a Macbook pro. Let the benchmark wars commence! hahahaha

Thanks for the advice guys!

I ended up buying HP laptop with more or less the same hardware as a Macbook-pro. I'm just a Windows guy I guess.

Funny thing is, my girlfriend has a Macbook pro. Let the benchmark wars commence! hahahaha
What chip is in that HP?

Back