Looking to buy a Electric Drum kit.

Thats a very strange hybrid kit. A lot of those parts aren't made by Roland, and the ones that are are old or cheap. The other big thing to notice is that it doesnt have any cymbal pads. It appears he is just using the cheap Roland tom triggers as cymbals. That is going to be some weird rebound. I would be weary of buying this one without checking it out first.

If you want to buy a Roland kit, at that price point I think you can do much better with a newer or brand new kit.

I preferably want a used Roland drum kit. I am looking in the price range of 700-1000

I found this set, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Roland-TD-8...ultDomain_0&hash=item4ab9717d43#ht_706wt_1185 would you recommend buying it?

Thank you!
-Adam Bourque

No that is not the best bang for your 800 bucks. Get a brand new, entry level kit and you can be the seller when you upgrade in the future. Newer is better as far as module sounds are concerned. Try out both Roland and Yamaha at your local store and look at their kits under $1000.

I'm actually leaning more towards Yamaha now. Looking at the 500 series.

Is there a huge difference in the pads from the Yamaha DTX560K and Yamaha DTX530K. If there is, what's a better decision, buying the 560K used or 530K new. thanks!

The 560 has silicone toms apparently. I don't know how much extra that costs but I wouldn't be too phased as I don't spend much time on the toms. I have tried this kit, I chose the 2box but I did like it alot, only thing I didn't like was the dead fish bass drum pad... See if you can get a 530k and spend what you save to upgrade to the silicone kick pad.

I really really really like the 535K kit with the 10 inch snare and the 15 inch ride. Lots of folks have said they like the 15 inch cymbal. The Toms are rubber for the 535K kit. The 535K comes right in between the 530K and the 560K as far as price. If noise level is a large concern, having all TCS pads will drop the noise down some. New, the TCS 7 inch toms are around $200 a pop. The 8 inch is around $270 and has 3 voices (8 inch and up are all 3 voices). The 10 inchers actually have Tom and Snare versions (the pad is "configured" to feel more like a tom or snare accordingly) but they are around $360 each. The 10 inchers and up all have the control knob to "tune" on the fly without the module - you can do the same on the module too though regardless of the size.

I'm actually leaning more towards Yamaha now. Looking at the 500 series.

Is there a huge difference in the pads from the Yamaha DTX560K and Yamaha DTX530K. If there is, what's a better decision, buying the 560K used or 530K new. thanks!

You don't need to settle for Yamaha- you should be able to get a TD-4 kit that is only a couple of years old for $1000. Then you can start upgrading triggers, HH, and even module as the mood strikes and $$ become more available.

You don't need to settle for Yamaha- you should be able to get a TD-4 kit that is only a couple of years old for $1000. Then you can start upgrading triggers, HH, and even module as the mood strikes and $$ become more available.

I would strongly disagree here. I think all Yamaha sets except possibly the DTX-500K are an upgrade from a TD-4. It is not a matter of settling for Yamaha.

My last kit was a Roland TD-4 and now I have a Yamaha DTX-535K. The Yamaha module sounds much better to my ears and the silicone snare feels much better than Roland's mesh heads, to me at least. As for the toms, rubber is fine. You don't do hours of buzz rolls on toms and Yamaha's rubber is soft and bouncy. If you are on a budget, the extra cost of the small single-zone silicone toms is not a bargain so the 535K is the steal of a deal with the Yamaha brand. (see my avatar pic)

Of course some drummers just prefer the super-bouncy mesh heads and they also prefer Roland's sounds. Not me, but every buyer should try playing and listening to both brands at the store before buying one or the other.

Both are excellent but some prefer R and others prefer Y.

I would strongly disagree here. I think all Yamaha sets except possibly the DTX-500K are an upgrade from a TD-4. It is not a matter of settling for Yamaha.

My last kit was a Roland TD-4 and now I have a Yamaha DTX-535K. The Yamaha module sounds much better to my ears and the silicone snare feels much better than Roland's mesh heads, to me at least. As for the toms, rubber is fine. You don't do hours of buzz rolls on toms and Yamaha's rubber is soft and bouncy. If you are on a budget, the extra cost of the small single-zone silicone toms is not a bargain so the 535K is the steal of a deal with the Yamaha brand. (see my avatar pic)

Of course some drummers just prefer the super-bouncy mesh heads and they also prefer Roland's sounds. Not me, but every buyer should try playing and listening to both brands at the store before buying one or the other.

Both are excellent but some prefer R and others prefer Y.

I dont know what the Yam's are like to play long term but i do have a little play on them at a drum place in manchester, love the feel of the silicone. as far as the TD-4 goes, I play one of those at church, I guess like any kit its personal preference, but personally I dont like it, those rock hard rubber toms, and the sounds are a bit naff, and really noisy, not my preference, it does take an impressive beating though, its stood up to a lot of hard hammering, to be honest though, anything I play doesnt come close to my home made kit, but that I am sure is personal preference and being used to it.

The new Roland TD-11k would fit your budget. You can get it from RMC Audio for $900.

Though I have not played it personally.

Back