Gene Simmons..oh dear

From an interview with Terry Gross:

Are you interested in music or is the goal in a rock band to have sex a lot?

I believe, in my heart, that anyone who gets up there and says what they're doing is art, is on crack and is delusional. In point of fact what they really, their modus operandi, initially, perhaps it changed when they start to question their sexuality, but clearly initially, it was to get laid. And make lots of money. Anybody who tells you otherwise is lying to you.

I will grant you, there are those people who really love music and simply wanna do it as a private pleasure. The jury is out, I have no comment. But as soon as you get up publicly and want other people to hear it, it seems odd that we get off on the notion that the opposite sex, the fairer sex, like what we do. And perhaps, if we do it really well, you'll think "gee, he's not just really talented and really bright...but he's kinda cute." That's what we're hoping for.

I'm gonna leave this open for discussion..

Oh well, another of these people who believes that their own motivations must be shared by everyone else. KISS's music is pretty standard rock'n'roll. They never tried to do anything fancy or interesting.

If Gene was hoping girls would find him cute he didn't make it easy for anyone to tell, given that they were covered in makeup. I suppose he tried to overcome that issue by advertising the length and agility of his tongue ...

Last edited:
To an extent, he's right. Performing an art is a self-pleasing experience. You can play to a song in the privacy of your home and be performing in an artform. Once you get the impetus to perform for others, it becomes more focused on sharing said art for the sake of its acceptance, and by extension, the acceptance of you as an artist.

In the end, it's a popularity contest. We all wish to be successful in what we do. We never leave high school, the politics just become more subdued.

Plus, it never hurts to impress women.

One day I was on the free way, stuck in traffic, and I look over, and he's in a car next to me. LOL.

I've never understood KISS as music. I've studied them trying to figure out the appeal, and I don't get it.

But as a business man, I respect the hell out of Gene Simmons. He helped build a brand name from nothing and milked it for all it's worth. Brilliant in the business sense. Not so much in the musical sense.

Gene may seem profound to some, but the psychology community identified long ago that anything a male does is motivated (at some level) by sex.

Bermuda

The only thing bigger than Genes sex drive is his ego. Enough said.

All I can say is, I play gigs because I really get off on the music and the whole gig vibe. I enjoy doing something that others appreciate, but I place little emphasis on adulation. I don't need the money & I'm just fine for the other. Everyone has their own very individual motivations. Gene just thinks everyone's the same as him. What a bright boy.

Dont like KISS and never have. I know that they started because they wanted chicks, and are therefore not eligible to comment on this.

Last edited by a moderator:
The king of money and vain-glory, that's him. Clever business man but in music not much to say.

If Gene was hoping girls would find him cute he didn't make it easy for anyone to tell, given that they were covered in makeup. I suppose he tried to overcome that issue by advertising the length and agility of his tongue ...

Heh, I smell overcompensation. It's like that "Big truck, big drumset" theory.

Heh, I smell overcompensation. It's like that "Big truck, big drumset" theory.

He needs a big kit because his stick's so small?

Sounds honest to me man, and while he makes it sound like he's speaking for more than just himself, at least he's being honest. For me drumming is like cheap anger management classes and if people like to hear me work out my rage and something good comes from it, great but that's not my motivator.

Someone getting up there and saying "I'm not motivated at all by sex" would get more of a negative reaction from me..

I'm just sayin..

well, think about it, do you enjoy jamming with guys and trading ideas? If you love it, then it isn't really motivated by sex. Yes, playing live might be. But even today, I was here figuring out an afro cuban rhythm, and when i got it.....that felt like sex! I couldn't stop giggling, it felt so right and primal, like an afro cuban beat should, don't think its motivated by sex, just that satisfying feeling.....dopamiene!

I think he's talking specifically about the guys (as in males) who try to go full "Rock Star," not every single musician on earth. Sure there are plenty of us who just enjoy playing music, and sure there are those of you who do it for a living, but I honestly believe most wanna-be rock/pop stars are in it for money, fame, and poon flavored Tang.

That said, Gene is a raving twat.

Last edited:
As Pollyanna said, he is just projecting his own motivations onto a broad group of people. I've learned to avoid speaking for groups, it rarely works out right.

I play because when I was a kid my older brothers played and I thought they were the coolest thing ever. So I play to be cool. It hasn't worked, but I love it. :)

Oh, and to get laid and make lots of money, of course. Still waiting on a lot of that, too.

Gene may seem profound to some, but the psychology community identified long ago that anything a male does is motivated (at some level) by sex.

Bermuda

Yahtzee! Whether consciously or not, it's probably true. Maybe the fact that I want to perform because I love playing and love people enjoying music as much as I do...is still somehow motivated by sex. Humans are a crazy bunch.

Back