I must apologise for this...

Apology accepted.
When he started waiving his leg in the air, after running around his kit, is where I draw the line.

Aw, come on, that's just a bit of fun. I bet the audience lapped that up. He's not out to impress drummers (why would you?), he's putting on a show. In other words, he's doing his job, period!

Hell with everyone, that was AWESOME. That, my friends, is how a drummer can be just as much of a rock star as a guitarist.

Thats entertainment! I loved it. ( dont need to hear triplets every day of the week )

One of my bands did a show with Vine Neil's band headlining. I sat at the kit ZC was using--which was a rental.

For anything but "show drumming" the kit was "un-playable" in the normal sense.
The seat was 12" off the ground. My knees were way above my waist and the snare was way below my waist.

The cymbals were above my head (and I'm not short), and the hats were a good foot away from any 'average' spot and a good foot above an 'average' spot.

The floor tom was set so low, the legs were above the top rim!

I have no idea if he had tuned up the heads, but they were loose as you could have heads on toms.

2 bass drums with a double pedal, and one rack tom in the middle.

It was a cool looking set-up, but you'd have to play it like he does, all "octopus" arms.
Fun to watch, and that's the point anyway, to entertain.

Good musicianship? Not really. Good entertainment? Yes indeed. :)

Good musicianship? Not really. Good entertainment? Yes indeed. :)

Well, how do you define "good musicianship"?

Doing the job as required by the music being played (in whatever genre), or by a total use of dynamics and proper technique at all times, as humanly possible?

There's not really any "dynamics" in that style, other than loud and louder haha!

The band I played in that day was the loud/hard band. The one that played another day of the event was one that has a variety of tempos and dynamics, so does that mean my musicianship level goes down when I play with the heavier band?

Yepsk, that's the video I thought it was going to be. I saw several of Zoltan's videos several months ago so I had a hunch it was one of them. Say what you will, that man is an entertainer! I would kill to be able to play with that much enthusiasm and confidence but I am nowhere near that coordinated. Wish I was. That kind of showmanship drew me to drums in the first place. Kudos to Zoltan for pulling that off so effortlessly.

Yepsk, that's the video I thought it was going to be. I saw several of Zoltan's videos several months ago so I had a hunch it was one of them. Say what you will, that man is an entertainer! I would kill to be able to play with that much enthusiasm and confidence but I am nowhere near that coordinated. Wish I was. That kind of showmanship drew me to drums in the first place. Kudos to Zoltan for pulling that off so effortlessly.

Yeah, people are ripping on his "musicianship", but I'd bet dollars to donuts there are VERY few players who can pull off that kind of performance and still keep time.

Aw, come on, that's just a bit of fun. I bet the audience lapped that up. He's not out to impress drummers (why would you?), he's putting on a show. In other words, he's doing his job, period!

True. He's getting paid to entertain. Earning every dollar as far as I can tell.

Yeah, people are ripping on his "musicianship", but I'd bet dollars to donuts there are VERY few players who can pull off that kind of performance and still keep time.

This. Even some of most showy players I've seen would have a hard time pulling that off.

Also, viewers should keep this in context: he's playing with Vince Neil of Motley Crue fame, a band who were known for being over the top visually. So I imagine part of any audition for Vine Neil, visual aspects would be welcome, and it might even a requirement for the gig.

That dude is tearing it up! It takes alot of specific practice to pull that stuff off and he obviously put in the time to think that stuff out. Certainly much more time into it than 99% of the rest of the drummers.

That 1% is the most amazing thing! It blows my mind to see that 1% and every time I check out another drummer, I am seeing that 1%....

The same goes with everyone else at this site, all of us here are that 1%, and we can do anything we can dream up on the drums!

It's the most amazing thing!

Rock on.

C8s

I just wanted to be clear, I actually love this. I think anyone who can make drumming look even more fun and look like they are really enjoying themselves deserves Kudos.

Even though some parts are ridiculously funny I just thought I better apologise because people were sick of seeing Steve Moore and his showmanship.

That was very entertaining. Thanks for sharing. I loved and laughed like hell.

hahahahah loved the part where he just got up and left and ran around the kit . if i did that my band would collectivly faint.

Well, how do you define "good musicianship"?

NOTE: I didn't necessarily say it was bad. He keeps time throwing his leg in the air so he deserves credits for that. But to me, this isn't necessarily good musicianship. A good musician not only knows how to do what is neccisary for the song, but also knows how to add something to the music. In my opinion at least. That is something this drummer does not do, instead he chooses to play an acrobatic act. Which does absolutely nót mean I don't respect that, beceause it is very entertaining to watch.

Musically I personaly don't find this to be spectacular, or even interesting. But when it comes to showmanship, this guy nails it and I do respect that.

Back