2B or not 2B?

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
That is the question.

What is the answer?

2B means 'too big'...for my hands.

Ha, good one. I practice with 2B's. So when I ply my 5B's at gigs, it's a piece of Black Forest caek.

To be or not to be.

Was that guy considering the dirt nap?

2Bs in my pillow and lap...

So, this staggerin' drunk walks into a bar and sez to the bartender, "two B's please" obviously smashed the barkeep calls over the bouncer who tosses the guy out on the curb.

He picks himself up staggers a few step turns right into the alley goes in the side door walks up to bar orders "two B's please" the bartender calls over the bouncer who drags the dude over to the side door throws the dude out into the alley.

He picks himself up goes right down the alley walks in the back door through the kitchen up to the bar closes one eye to see straight, sees the bartender and the bouncer and sez.... "how many bars do you guys work in around here?"

If you need the extra heft, 5B. Done.

2B's are what I'd use to teach with - they're the equivalent of when you had those big fat pencils in grammar school when you were learning how to write.

But, if I was playing in a super loud rock 'n' roll band, and all my gear was built for heavy playing, I'd start using 2B's just to have the gear work for me.

Well I resemble these remarks :)

Played 2b's all through the 70's, went to 5b's during my electronic drum days in the 80's, continued with the 5b's until about 5 years ago. 2b's, they just feel right?

I honestly don't savor the idea of exposing my cymbals to that sort of brutality. For rock, Vater Power 5b sticks are the answer, my friend.

Man you guys are so literal.

A thicker stick pulls a fuller tone from the drums. I really don't like the tone of drums with a 7A. Wimpy.

Just because you play a thicker stick doesn't necessarily mean your cymbals suffer more. If you have a thoughtful touch, there's no extra wear on cymbals.

I guess for cavemen bashers who play straight through their cymbals.. they would likely suffer more with a thicker stick. Depends on the drummer.

I like 2Bs a lot.

I'm a big fan of the VF Metal, the VF Abve Laboriel Jr. sig and VF Danny Carey sig sticks.

I don't really like the sizes for heavy rock and higher volumes. I prefer a 5B if I really have to project (no drums in the PA or outside).

I like how the 2B does a lot of the work for me and I get a nice fat tone, especially on ballads.

7As don't do it for me, not even for quieter music. I have a few wood tip 5As that feel good but I usually default to a 5B like Promark's.

A thicker stick pulls a fuller tone from the drums. I really don't like the tone of drums with a 7A.

I think Densmore used 7A, but I also have seen pics where his bottom heads have been taken off.

to much mass...or, I should say, more mass than I need.

A thicker stick pulls a fuller tone from the drums. I really don't like the tone of drums with a 7A. Wimpy.

Just because you play a thicker stick doesn't necessarily mean your cymbals suffer more. If you have a thoughtful touch, there's no extra wear on cymbals.

I guess for cavemen bashers who play straight through their cymbals.. they would likely suffer more with a thicker stick. Depends on the drummer.

You can also go to a round tip on a smaller stick and get a fuller sound.

Two B's are what I'm hoping to keep all of my days. Of course, eating right and exercise should help.

Man I can't say I've ever played a 2B. I like 5B and 7A-usually pear shaped tip although I like the way round tips dance on cymbals and roll for latin stuff just they chip too easily. Now I've got to at least try them so I can have an opinion-if no good a friend of mine makes fancy writing pens out of old drum sticks and stuff.

I started out learning from drum corps drummers who talked about using larger sticks, so I used 2B at the beginning. I really only adapted to smaller sticks later. I like 5A for most things now, although 7As will occasionally make an appearance in low-volume acoustic stuff, like a piano trio in a venue where the music is meant to be soft enough to talk over.

You can also go to a round tip on a smaller stick and get a fuller sound.

Yeah!

I use the VF F1, very balanced, round tip and quite powerful with great definition.

Larry, I thought you played VF 5A (or 5B) with round tip, I remember fooling around on your bed in the hotel room with your sticks (err... don't get the wrong idea guys, it was purely playing the sticks on the mattress)

5a EXTREME.

Unless I suppose you don't want your playing to be extreme. In which case, you can go play with your dinky little 5a standard.

Back