How To Record This Kind Of Drum Sound?

Murker

Hi, I know these type of questions must get asked all the time, but anyway:

I'm thinking about starting to record my drums, and i want these kind of sounds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAAvNmoqDq0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WwrYcqGKpg

Yes I know this is quite a generic sound, and the two example sounds arent exactly the same. What kind of set up will I need to (hardware + software wise) record and create sounds in this kind of tight, compressed style? I don't have a very big budget.

My plan was to get 2 tom Mics (1 in between high and medium tom + 1 for floor tom), 1 or maybe 2 overheads for cymbals, triggered and maybe Mic'd (would mix the sounds together) bass drum, and I wasn't sure whether or not I would need to Mic the snare separately because it's pretty loud anyway.

any help is appreciated, and please tell me if this is in the wrong section!

Here's a picture of my set up: (It will be in a relatively big empty room for recording probably (Sorry i dont know why the picture is upside down :(
xa3IRbg.jpg

Last edited:
Without going into anymore detail than I educated to tell, all of that music is recorded in a studio with the best equipment by trained professionals. You would need his drums, his tunings, and his processor/mixer. I will leave it at that.

Do a search on sound processing/recording, there's some info here on the forum.

In the studio there are endless options to manipulate sound.
Just one example: Look up the SPL Transient Designer plugin on YouTube so you get the idea of what _one_ single plugin can do while/after the recording.

Like Dad said, specific mic type and placement are important. Thus, you will need to replicate the setup that you emulate. They've mic'd every cymbal and drum at specific locations on the instrument - and as stated - picked specific equipment, tuning, software...etc. Can you mic 2-3 things at a time, layer the recordings and mix together to get 6,8,10 instruments mic'd and mixed together. Yes. But that will take not only recording expertise but also mixing and mastering. However, good luck.

Last edited:
That's a question that requires an essay of an answer, and unless one has some experience recording and mixing you won't grasp the answer, let alone pull a drum sound anything like that.

But! That's not to say you can't learn. I recommend, as the others said, reading up on drum recording (and recording/engineering in general). One thing I will say, also, is that youre better off buying recording equipment bit by bit and not going for low quality stuff. You need to learn first, so no huge rush. Don't expect to be getting a good drum sound anytime soon

Well, one place to start is to know that every drum gets it's own mic. You can only get sounds like that when close miking is utilized. As soon as you say "open miking" or "coverage" then the room and the drumset are speaking together (more like Bonham with Zeppelin). With these modern metal bands, we're not talking about hearing the room. So understand you'll need a mixing board or USB interface to cover the amount of mics you will need, and then lots of processing. If you're recording into a computer, this might help you some, but there's still that matter of getting mics, a big enough interface (or several), stands, cables, and a powerful enough computer to handle all the individual processing of each incoming microphone.

But as has already been said, there's a huge learning curve here, so start reading up. Good luck on your quest!

Back