Evans G2 vs EC2

Drummertist

Silver Member
These are the batter heads I've been looking at for my Tama Superstar 12 & 14" toms.

I'm a big evans supporter, so I do know I want evans. I play rock.

Which would you suggest and what resonant to use?

Also, what do you think of the G2/G1 combo? Coated or Clear?
I was also thinking about Coated EC2's over Clear G1's!

THIS IS CONFUSING! WHY IN THE CRAP IS THERE SO MANY CHOICES!!!!!!! I DON'T HAVE MONEY COMING OUT MY BUTT and GUITAR CENTER DON'T TUNE EM RIGHT!

Last edited:
Have used G2 clears for many years. Recorded with EC2 Clears. I found the EC2 clear to have more attack up front than the G2 clear. They sound great. You can't go wrong on either head.

I always think everyone should use single ply heads coated or clear, whatever your taste, and if you want muffling, moongel em. That way you can dial in the exact amount of muffling you want, or go to none at all...more choices for your sound pallette, plus you can tailor the sound to the room you're in at the moment. You can't make 2 ply heads sound like single ply, but you can make single ply heads sound like 2 ply with moongels.

Drummertist,

I'm using clear EC2/G1 on Tama Superstars. Sharp attack, full bottom end and quite loud. Overtones are controlled. Good for rock and metal. The stick response is a bit flat, especially on the larger toms. These heads sound their best when you lay into 'em a bit, and seem to invite you to do so.

They look cool, too.

:1

you can make single ply heads sound like 2 ply with moongels.

That's very true. The only issue is that if you have always played double ply heads, you may find yourself beating up your new single plies. I did that once. You have to ease up just a bit.

That's very true. The only issue is that if you have always played double ply heads, you may find yourself beating up your new single plies. I did that once. You have to ease up just a bit.

Yeah, if you break heads then I can understand wanting 2 ply, plus if you're hitting with that much force, the 2 plys probably sound better. I don't think I've ever tore a tom head

Coated G2's.
Although, the EC2's are great for those genres. I would honestly stay away from ANY coated EC, because the frosting coating is not too great [sh!t].
Also, some people [I've never used any EC head, although I would love to try.] think the EC2 is a tad bit much, so I think the EC1 would be better, if you're willing to go single ply.

Clear EC1, or Coated G2 for warmth.

Coated G2's.
Although, the EC2's are great for those genres. I would honestly stay away from ANY coated EC, because the frosting coating is not too great [sh!t].
Also, some people [I've never used any EC head, although I would love to try.] think the EC2 is a tad bit much, so I think the EC1 would be better, if you're willing to go single ply.

Clear EC1, or Coated G2 for warmth.

Absolutely! The Evans frosty "coating" just can't suck enough. Don't know why they do it.

My kid's using the EC1s (clears) and they're great, but be advised that they sustain like crazy. That's what we want (he plays rock unmiked) but it's not what most drummers want.

Absolutely! The Evans frosty "coating" just can't suck enough. Don't know why they do it.

My kid's using the EC1s (clears) and they're great, but be advised that they sustain like crazy. That's what we want (he plays rock unmiked) but it's not what most drummers want.

I don't agree about the frosting at all. In 30 years of playing, I think it's best as far as coatings go. The Frosted EC2's also have a great deal of sustain. What exactly is it that you don't like about the frosting? It doesn't seem to make a mess by flaking off.

I don't agree about the frosting at all. In 30 years of playing, I think it's best as far as coatings go. The Frosted EC2's also have a great deal of sustain. What exactly is it that you don't like about the frosting? It doesn't seem to make a mess by flaking off.

The EC2's that I tried [again, I have yet to actually own them. I have tried them though] that had the frosting just didn't seem like the coated heads that I think of when I think "Coated."
It just wasn't warm enough, and still had a bit of plasticy attack.

Of course, maybe different acoustics and hearing them for more than two minutes would change my mind. : /

I recently replaced the stock G2 Clears with EC2 coated on my Starclassic Maple kit and I am regretting it. No matter what I do, the EC2s seem much more dead both in feel and tone than the G2s. I really wanted coated heads (I like the warmth), but the EC2s just aren't doing the trick for me.

I'm getting ready to re-outfit the whole thing in G2 Coated (and keep the G1 resos).

Be aware, if you do go for the EC2s, the built in muffling is significant.

Well, we differ! In my years of playing (40--I'll see your 30 and raise your 10! Ha! ;-) ) I've never heard anything so awful. To my ear the frosty "coating" sounds slappy and plasticky, while adding nothing useful or nice to the tone (as sprayed-on coatings often do).

This is, apparently, why they make chocolate and vanilla!

In any case, try 'em before you buy 'em. If folks are thinking they have the same effect as, say, a coated Emperor vs clear, they need to know that the difference isn't what they're expecting.

Meanwhile, I've been a coated Ambassador man for decades and I've yet to have one have its coating "flake off" or even wear out prematurely. Wonder why that's so?

Not in my case, I find the EC 2 coated heads are loud, open with more than enough sustain. Maybe your bottom heads are too tight??

I have tried tuning all ranges on the bottom head, replacing the stock reso G1s with other (crappier) heads to test and even resorting to a DrumDial to make sure I wasn't crazy! The stock heads (G2 clear) that came on the kit sounded much better IMO, although a little 'sharper' than I wanted - hence the purchase of the EC2s. Live and learn - I'll go back to my happy place (G2 coated) and all will be right in my little world.

To each his own....

Back