Brian Blade

yo yo, bb fans,

go get yourself a copy of kenny werner's lawn chair society
excellent album! featuring some excellent, moving compositions and excellent bb playing. my new favorite kenny werner album.

btw, hoping to go see joshua redman, brian blade, and christian mcbride in a couple weeks. talk about an all-star trio!

-murph

I still can't decide on that one. Well, that's not entirely true. It's great. Of course some of the tracks are utterly amazing. 13th Day, Kothbiro...Uncovered Heart wow!! Beautiful and moving tribute to his daughter tragically killed in an accident :( What a sad, lonely but joyful song.

The thing is though, the electronic tracks that he played with on it are tragically bad! Awful even. Some of the sounds he plays with just sound wrong I thought. Apart from those though, I agree the album is incredible and Blade is funky, swinging and hip throughout.

I still dig Form and Fantasy, Beat Degeneration with Ari at the moment. Actually, Werner is my favourite musician at the moment. His trio albums are some of the best I've ever heard, bar none, and I've been looking for Unprotected Music with Baron but haven't been able to find it as of yet.

I still can't decide on that one. Well, that's not entirely true. It's great. Of course some of the tracks are utterly amazing. 13th Day, Kothbiro...Uncovered Heart wow!! Beautiful and moving tribute to his daughter tragically killed in an accident :( What a sad, lonely but joyful song.

The thing is though, the electronic tracks that he played with on it are tragically bad! Awful even. Some of the sounds he plays with just sound wrong I thought. Apart from those though, I agree the album is incredible and Blade is funky, swinging and hip throughout.

I still dig Form and Fantasy, Beat Degeneration with Ari at the moment. Actually, Werner is my favourite musician at the moment. His trio albums are some of the best I've ever heard, bar none, and I've been looking for Unprotected Music with Baron but haven't been able to find it as of yet.

Yes, this one grows on you. It's been growing on me. I see how some may not like the electronic, bizarre sounds...I've been getting into that somewhat lately...so I like it. Yes, a tragic story about his daughter. Very sad.

Since you're an Ari fan, I recommend Bill Carrothers' latest - Keep Your Sunny Side Up. Superb! Bill is another favorite of mine these days along with Kenny. Both are incredible and on the cutting edge in my opinion...

Brian Blade is such an awesome musician. I agree that he has so much color in his playing, it`s musical...yet so intense, so powerful.
I got to know Mr. Blade as a Acid Jazz or Funk drummer when I watched a few videos...including Jazz crimes by Joshua Redman. I loved it but didn`t know that he can play Bop and all that stuff so incredibly well, too.

Later I watched some videos of him playing with Joshua redman, Brad Mehldau and Chris McBride on bass.

WOW...so inspiring, so creative.

I`ll look out for some cool CDs with him playing...

Karl

BB is just downright incredible. Very inspiring!

That was a fabulous tour. I saw them in three different cities. Blade is a serious contender, IMHO, for most dynamic live player. No matter the mood of the song, he shines.
Can't imagine him rocking out with some of the speed players... but he's found his element.. and he elevates himself every show.

Last night I witnessed a truly spectacular live show by Daniel Lanois with Brian Blade on Drums at Summerfest 2006 in Deep River, Ontario Canada. The show was an incredible experience. I knew we were in for something special when the drums were set up at the front of the stage and not in the back as we usually see. The drumming was nothing I had ever seen, his passion for playing was obvious. I found myself spending more time watching his movements and sequences more than actually watching Daniel Lanois. If you ever have the opportunity to see Brian Blade live,GO FOR IT........you will not be disappointed!

I'll go all the way back to post #2 and say that Chris Potter's "Gratitude" has Brian Blade on it and is killin'. Not just Brian Blade's drumming but Chris Potter is always burnin' and the other players really bring their A stuff too.

I first heard Brian Blade on Momentum and it blew me away.
I'm trying to get my hands on all his recordings now, the guy is amazing..

He's playing Dublin next month with the Dave Binney Quartet so I'll get to hear him live, and hopfully meet the guy afterwards.

Everyone should listen to the latest Kenny Garrett offering "Beyond the Wall". Amazing musicality. Not to mention that it also includes Mulgrew Miller, Pharoah Sanders and Bobby Hutcherson.

You should check out the new Fellowship record Season of Changes..not only great drumming great writing and the band sounds great especially Kurt Rosenwinkle..

the Fellowship is certainly incrediable and just shows why Brian is so musical with all those lush ideas going on in his head

The new Fellowship is the best one to date in my opinion. Great playing, great writing, just all around gorgeous music. My favorite tune so far is Stoner Hill.

By the way, whoever mentioned Kurt Rosenwinkel, you should check out his new live album with Eric Harland on drums. I think its only on ArtistShare, but its absolutely killin.

Woah, I know its already been said, but that new Fellowship record is great. Everyone go get and support this great band.

i just saw him live at the vanguard...the most musical, dynamic drummer i have ever watched. his writing is really innovative too

does anyone know what equipment brian blade uses? Like what heads and stuff specifically. I really like his drum sound with like the fellowship and wayne shorter

Back