The Lighter Side of Drumsticks

I answered as well, and I think more open-ended questions would help give you more specifics.

Bermuda

i think it's true that you can probably move around the kit a little easier with lighter drum sticks, but they have some drawbacks too.

- they break easier (obviously)
- they make a more high pitched sound on the drums and don't bring out the deep tone of toms as much.
- they don't bounce as easily, which makes it harder to play doubles and rudiments

I took the survey but it was quite vague. Lighter than what? What is the baseline of your survey, as far as stick weight? Hickory?

I think stick weight should be determined by what type of music you're playing and whether you need power and volume, or a more subtle touch.

Playing metal with thin, light maple sticks might be self-defeating - so would playing smooth jazz with 2B hickory sticks.

I accomplished the survey.
But I rather use 5B and 2B, hickory. In the other hand, my daughter plays the drums with 5AN, it fits perfect for her.

Thanks,

Not sure what the point of the survey is but I would have thought you would have needed to know what the drummers normal stick is?

Davo

Back